Accidents can happen to anyone. That’s why if you own a vehicle in Bangor, you are required by Maine’s state laws to carry car insurance. From fender-benders on Hammond Street to multi-vehicle collisions on I-95, a reliable car insurance policy can prevent a vehicular accident from turning your financial situation into a Stephen King horror story.
Finding the best car insurance is easy when you work with a local independent agent. These agents can obtain a variety of customized auto insurance quotes on your behalf. That way, you can be sure you are getting the coverage you need at a competitive price. Find an insurance agent near you to get started.
How Much Does Car Insurance Cost in Bangor, ME?
The average cost of car insurance in Maine, and in Bangor specifically, is lower than the national rate. This is great news for area vehicle owners who are looking for an affordable policy.
- National average annual car insurance cost: $1,311
- Maine average annual car insurance cost: $805
- Bangor average annual car insurance cost: $831
Of course, car insurance costs can vary greatly from one driver to the next. You should therefore expect your actual quote rates to differ from the average shown above. Prices for coverage are calculated individually according to several considerations such as the following.
- The make, model, and year of the vehicle(s) you are insuring
- Your age, occupation, marital status, and driving history
- The estimated number of miles you drive your car each year
- The accident and auto theft rates in the vicinity of your home
- The amount of coverage you are purchasing
- Whether you are purchasing any offered coverage options
- Whether you are bundling your coverage with another policy like home insurance or renters insurance
When it comes to car insurance rates, driving experience matters. Therefore, you can expect that a freshman at Husson University will be charged higher rates than a 50-year-old accountant with no moving violations or accidents on their record.
Comparing rates from a variety of insurance companies lets you be sure you are getting your policy at a competitive price. Independent insurance agents make comparison-shopping easy.
What Are the Car Insurance Requirements in Bangor, ME?
As a vehicle owner in Bangor, you must remain in compliance with Maine’s car insurance laws. This state requires drivers to carry liability insurance, uninsured motorist insurance, and medical payments insurance.
Liability insurance covers injuries and property damage that you may cause to other people. Uninsured motorist insurance covers the treatment of injuries you may suffer if you are in an accident caused by an uninsured driver. Medical payments insurance can cover medical bills for you and your passengers if you are injured in a collision, regardless of fault.
Your car insurance policy must include, at a minimum, the following.
- Liability insurance:
- Bodily injury liability insurance: $50,000 per person/$100,000 per accident
- Property damage liability insurance: $25,000 per accident
- Uninsured motorist bodily injury insurance: At least $50,000 per person/$100,000 per accident
- Medical payments insurance: At least $2,000 per person in the vehicle
The costs associated with a serious collision can easily exceed what a minimum coverage policy will pay for. That is why many residents of Bangor opt to purchase car insurance with more liability insurance than the state requires.
If you have a lot to lose and want even more liability coverage than your car insurance provider can offer, you can also purchase umbrella insurance, which is an affordable way to boost all of your liability coverage. A local independent agent can help you obtain a competitively priced policy.
What Else Can Bangor Car Insurance Cover?
In addition to the coverage that is required by law, most insurance companies will give you the option of adding any or all of the following coverage options to your car insurance policy.
- Comprehensive insurance: This can pay to repair or replace your vehicle if it is damaged by a non-collision event such as a flood or a windstorm. (This coverage is typically required by your lender if you are still paying for your vehicle, or by the dealership if you are leasing it.)
- Collision insurance: This can pay to repair or replace your vehicle if it is damaged in a collision, regardless of fault. (This coverage is typically required by your lender if you are still paying for your vehicle, or by the dealership if you are leasing it.)
- Gap insurance: This is designed to bridge the gap between what you currently owe for your vehicle and what your vehicle is currently worth. That way, if your vehicle is totaled you won’t still owe for it once you have been reimbursed for your loss. This coverage is highly recommended in the first few years of new vehicle ownership since new cars depreciate very quickly.
- Towing and roadside assistance insurance: This pays for assistance if your vehicle becomes disabled while you are out on the road.
- Rental reimbursement insurance: This can pay for the cost of renting a vehicle while repairs are being made to your car following a covered event.
Talk to an insurance agent in Bangor to learn more about these coverage options for help determining which, if any, are a good fit for you.
What Is the Penalty for Driving without Insurance in Maine?
Driving without insurance in Maine is illegal. If you are caught, you will be charged with a traffic infraction and can face the following penalties.
- A fine ranging from $100 to $500
- The suspension of your driver’s license, registration, and plates until you provide valid proof of insurance
- A $50 reinstatement fee, $20 to $30 for a license fee, and a $35 registration fee to get your driving privileges back
- The requirement to maintain an SR-22 for three years
Failure to surrender your driver’s license, registration, and plates is a Class E misdemeanor punishable with fines of $2,000 and up to six months in jail.
Because of these tough penalties, Maine has one of the lowest rates of uninsured drivers in the country.
- Percentage of US drivers who are uninsured: 13.0%
- Percentage of Maine drivers who are uninsured: 4.5%
If you are in a collision caused by an uninsured, underinsured, or hit-and-run driver, uninsured motorist insurance, which is required in this state, can ensure that you have immediate coverage for any related medical bills. Your insurance company will then take on the difficult task of trying to collect the funds owed by the uninsured driver.
Talk to your agent to learn more about this mandatory coverage.
Does Bangor Car Insurance Cover against Vehicle Thefts?
The auto theft rate in Maine, and in Bangor specifically, is lower than the national average. Residents of this city report an average of about 40 vehicular thefts a year.
- National auto theft rate per 1,000 vehicles: 2.29
- Maine auto theft rate per 1,000 vehicles: 0.58
- Bangor, ME, auto theft rate per 1,000 vehicles: 1.89
It is important to know that you cannot be compensated for a stolen car unless your auto insurance policy includes comprehensive, or “other than collision,” insurance. This coverage is optional if you own your vehicle outright.
Comprehensive insurance covers against far more than just theft. It can also reimburse you for loss and damage to your car due to a variety of other non-collision hazards like garage fires, floods, and falling objects.
If you are still paying for your car or if you have it on a lease, chances are good you have this coverage already. Otherwise, you can talk to your insurance agent to find out how much it will cost to add comprehensive coverage to your Bangor car insurance policy.
Why Contact an Independent Insurance Agent in Bangor, ME?
Vehicle owners in Bangor can ask a local independent agent for help when they are looking for a reliable auto insurance policy that meets their coverage and budgetary needs. These agents are free to work with several insurance providers, so they can shop around to find the best and most affordable policies.
Contact an independent insurance agent in or near Bangor to learn more. You can start comparing customized car insurance quotes in no time.
TrustedChoice.com Article | Reviewed by Jeffrey Green
©2020, Consumer Agent Portal, LLC. All rights reserved.