Maine is home to some very large commercial operations, including L.L. Bean, The Aroostook Medical Center and the Mercy Hospital/Health System. And commercial operations in Maine, whether they are large or small, need the protection of commercial auto insurance. Rates can vary from one insurer to another, so, if you have a business in Maine, make it your priority to get quotes from multiple insurers before you purchase your next commercial auto policy.
Use our independent agent matching system to find the best insurance plan in your area. You tell us what you’re looking for, and our technology will recommend the best agents for you. Any information you provide will be sent to only the agents you pick. We do not sell to third parties.
What Causes Auto Accidents in ME?
- In 2008 alone, there were more than 2,900 accidents involving deer and more than 400 involving moose.
- Approximately 5,500 people die and 135,000 suffer injuries nationwide in accidents involving large commercial vehicles.
- There were more than 21,400 traffic citations issued in 2009.
- The most commonly cited age group was 35 to 44.
- There were more than 210 fatal crashes in 2012.
Nobody expects an accident to happen, yet, the majority of drivers have been involved in a collision. These collisions can happen to commercial drivers as well as individuals, which is why it's important – for all businesses that use vehicles – to carry commercial auto insurance. All vehicles operated in Maine must have insurance coverage, as mandated by law.
How Much Insurance Do You Need?
Since every vehicle in ME must carry insurance, it's important to determine whether your business needs a commercial auto or truck policy.
Here are the state law requirements for coverage in Maine:
- $50,000 of bodily injury coverage for injuries or death to one person in a single accident
- $100,000 of bodily injury coverage for injuries or death to more than one person in a single accident
- $25,000 of property damage coverage per accident
These numbers are not, however, sufficient for every business owner. Your business may have more assets at stake than these coverages allow for, so when getting quotes on ME commercial vehicle insurance, ask yourself the following:
- How many vehicles need insurance?
- What kinds of vehicles need insurance?
- How will you use the vehicles?
- Who will drive the vehicles? Do employees drive the vehicles for business?
- Who owns the vehicles?
- Can you remove business equipment from the vehicles?
If you depend on standard vehicles and commercial trucks in your business or have employees operate vehicles to run errands or deliver goods, it may be time to get some quotes for coverage. Because you potentially have some serious liability risks using autos and trucks for business, it's important to make sure all your bases are covered.
How To Get Maine Commercial Auto Insurance Quotes
When beginning your search for a commercial auto insurance policy, it's important to have relevant information easily available to make the quoting process simple. Before you approach a company for quotes, it might be a good idea to answer the following questions regarding your business vehicles:
- Who owns the vehicles?
- How much do they weigh?
- How do you use the vehicles?
- What cargo do the vehicles carry?
- How much are the vehicles worth?
- Is there any special equipment installed?
- What are your drivers' driving records?
- How many employees will be driving the vehicles?
- How often will employees drive the vehicles?
- Where do you park the vehicles?
- Do you transport people? Transport or deliver goods? Use the vehicles to provide services? What kind?
- Have you gathered general information about your business, such as yearly income, scope of work, assets and property values?
- What is your company's status, legally?
How Trusted Choice Can Help
Trusted Choice® agents are always here to help you decide what type of Maine commercial auto insurance policy is right for you. An agent can help you compare choices and make sure that your policy is tailor-fit for your specific situation and needs.
Contact an agent today for your quotes and help selecting your policy.