Maine Car Insurance
Your Guide to Buying Maine Car Insurance in 2016
Vehicle owners in The Pine Tree State may be able to find low-priced car insurance. Many northeastern states are very densely populated, but this state has many wild rural spaces and the roads are a bit safer. When you start looking at Maine auto insurance quotes, make sure you have a professional helping you choose the best option.
Maine car insurance premiums will vary by location, the make of the vehicle, and the drivers named on the policy. A local Trusted Choice® independent agent can help you compare rates from several different insurance companies and will advocate for your needs. Contact a member agent today for personal assistance.
Maine Car Insurance Costs
- National average cost per year: $1,311
- Maine average cost per year: $805
- 50th most expensive premiums in the US
The most recent information available as of 2016 from Insure.com shows that Maine average premium costs are $805, which is considerably lower than the national average. The low population density and rural lifestyle in Maine are big contributors to this low rate.
When insurers issue your quote for Maine car insurance, they will look at a number of factors, including:
- The make, model, and year of your vehicle
- Your driving record
- Where you live and how much you drive
Insurance companies differ in the metrics they use to measure risk, so don’t be surprised if the quotes you collect are very different. Work with a Trusted Choice member agent to compare a range of Maine auto insurance quotes side by side.
Maine Car Insurance Requirements
- Bodily injury liability: Required
- Property damage liability: Required
- Personal Injury Protection (PIP): Not required
- Uninsured motorist: required
- Minimum liability limits: 50/100/25
- Coverage up to $100,000 for all persons injured in an accident, subject to a limit of $50,000 for one individual, and $25,000 coverage for property damage.
- In addition Maine policy holders must carry at least $1,000 for medical payments.
Maine has specific laws regulating the liability coverage minimums drivers must carry. Drivers who operate a vehicle without these mandated coverage minimums may be subject to a fine, 30-day jail sentence, and the suspension of their license and vehicle registration. At-fault drivers without proper coverage risk being held liable for any damages they cause.
Maine Uninsured Motorists
- National uninsured motorists: 12.6%
- Maine uninsured motorists: 4.7%
- Maine average vehicle repair cost: $2,306
The number of uninsured drivers in Maine is low compared to the national average. Maine car insurance laws do not require auto owners to carry uninsured motorist coverage, but that coverage will pay to repair a car damaged by another driver who doesn't have adequate coverage.
Thefts in Maine
- National car theft rate (per 1,000 registered vehicles): 2.94
- Maine car theft rate (per 1,000 registered vehicles): 0.88
The rate of thefts in Maine is low compared to the national average. Your risk of having your car stolen will depend on the location where you live and drive, as well as the make of your car. Most new vehicles have electronic security systems that discourage thieves. Alarms can also be installed on older vehicles.
Compare Maine Car Insurance
Visiting dozens of insurance agents or a variety of online insurance websites can take a lot of time. You’ll have to enter your personal information multiple times and then review various quotes side by side in an attempt to make the best choice for your coverage.
Fortunately, there’s a better way to compare quotes. An independent agent in the Trusted Choice network has access to a number of different Maine car insurance companies and can provide you with multiple quotes to compare. Find an agent today, and you'll quickly be on your way to making the best choice for your needs and budget.