Find the Best Car Insurance Quotes & Options in Maine
Maine is the cheapest state for car insurance in the country, currently. The average cost of car insurance in Maine is $805 per year, which is much less than the current us average of $1,311. Maine's resident drivers can save a ton on their car insurance every year compared to the rest of the nation, but there are still additional ways to save money on coverage. You may qualify for various auto insurance discounts to further reduce your costs.
An independent insurance agent can help you get set up with the right car insurance policy for you. But until then, here's an extensive breakdown of car insurance in Maine.
Best Car Insurance Companies in Maine
Though you could get car insurance from just about any insurance company in Maine, some are better than others in terms of quality and cost. That's why we've done the research for you and chosen our top picks for car insurance companies in Maine. Start your coverage journey off right by skipping right ahead to these outstanding Maine car insurance companies.
- Best Maine Car Insurance Company Overall: USAA
- Best Maine Car Insurance Company for Minimum Liability: USAA
- Best Maine Car Insurance Company for Full Coverage: USAA
- Best Maine Car Insurance Company for Young Drivers: Travelers
- Best Maine Car Insurance Company for Accident History: Vermont Mutual
A Maine independent insurance agent can also help you choose the best car insurance company for you.
Best Maine Car Insurance Company Overall: USAA
Our pick for the best Maine car insurance company overall goes to USAA. The insurance company ranked highly in terms of customer satisfaction as well as on J.D. Power's 2021 US Auto Insurance Study. They also offer highly affordable car insurance coverage in Maine, no matter if you need full coverage or minimum coverage.
Founded in 1922, USAA has more than a century of experience in the industry. Originally created by a group of Army officers who decided to insure each other’s vehicles, USAA has since expanded to servicing millions of customers across the country with a variety of coverage solutions.
A couple of years ago, USAA’s net worth surpassed $35 billion. The carrier has over 13 million members (i.e., policyholders) and 35,000 employees. USAA has also paid out $2.4 billion in returns to its customers. The carrier has consistently received high marks from major agencies like Moody’s Investors Service and Standard & Poor’s. AM Best rates the insurance company an "A++," the highest available.
|Average Monthly Insurance Cost: Average Car Insurance Premium||Average Annual Insurance Cost: Average Car Insurance Premium|
Best Maine Car Insurance Company for Minimum Liability: USAA
Our top pick for the best car insurance company for minimum liability coverage in Maine also goes to USAA. The company offers premiums for minimum liability coverage below the state's averages. Resident drivers in Maine can get a car insurance policy with only the minimum state requirements for just $263 per year, on average, from USAA.
|Average Monthly Insurance Cost: Minimum Liability Policy||Average Annual Insurance Cost: Minimum Liability Policy|
Best Maine Car Insurance Company for Full Coverage: USAA
Our pick for the best Maine car insurance company for full coverage also goes to USAA. That's because USAA also offers the cheapest rates for full-coverage auto policies in Maine. Resident drivers in Maine can get policies with all the auto insurance they need for an average of just $812 per year through USAA.
|Average Monthly Insurance Cost: Full Coverage Policy||Average Annual Insurance Cost: Full Coverage Policy|
Best Maine Car Insurance Company for Young Drivers: Travelers
Our top pick for the best Maine car insurance company for young drivers goes to Travelers. For drivers in their young 20s, Travelers offers some of the most affordable coverage in the state, at an average of just $61 per month. Travelers also offers numerous discounts that can bring this cost down even further, such as good student discounts, student away from home discounts, and discounts for completing driver training courses.
Founded in 1853, Travelers is one of the oldest insurance companies in the US. The carrier has about 30,000 employees, according to its official website. Travelers also sells insurance primarily through a network of independent insurance agents. The carrier's independent agent network is about 13,500 agents strong and extends through the United States, Canada, the United Kingdom, and Ireland.
Travelers’ extensive history and reach led to the carrier's reputation as a reliable, stable company. AM Best, the leading global credit rating agency monitoring the insurance industry, gives Travelers the highest possible rating of "A++," indicating that it's one of the top insurance companies around today.
|Average Monthly Insurance Cost: Young Drivers||Average Annual Insurance Cost: Young Drivers|
Best Maine Car Insurance Company for Accident History: Vermont Mutual
Our top pick for the best car insurance company for accident history in Maine goes to Vermont Mutual. Drivers who have been in even one accident can experience premium hikes of hundreds of dollars per year, but our research found that Vermont Mutual still offers affordable rates. On average, a car insurance policy for drivers with an accident history from Vermont Mutual costs just $562 per year.
Vermont Mutual Insurance Group was founded in 1828 and is among the nation's oldest mutual property/casualty insurance companies. The insurance company is headquartered in Montpelier, VT.
Vermont Mutual has been recognized on Ward’s “Top 50” list of top-performing insurers for more than 10 years in a row. The carrier works with a team of more than 800 independent agencies and has more than 300,000 policyholders.
Its long-standing history and awarding-winning recognition have earned Vermont Mutual a reputation as a top-performing insurance company with a strong outlook for the future. AM Best rates Vermont Mutual an “A+," indicating the carrier is a superior choice for customers.
|Average Monthly Insurance Cost: Drivers with Poor Records||Average Annual Insurance Cost: Drivers with Poor Records|
Maine Car Insurance Requirements
Just like the rest of the country, Maine has its own set of specific car insurance requirements. All drivers must be equipped with the minimum coverages dictated by the state before they can legally hit the road. Make sure to at least add the following coverages to your Maine car insurance policy:
- Bodily injury liability: In Maine, this coverage is required in amounts of $50,000 per person and $100,000 per accident. This coverage can reimburse you for medical treatment costs to another driver and their passengers after an accident you're at fault for.
- Property damage liability: In Maine, this coverage is required in the amount of $25,000 per accident. This coverage can reimburse you for repairs to a third party's personal property, including a vehicle or other property, like a shed, if you damage it with your car.
- Uninsured/underinsured motorist coverage: In Maine, this coverage is required in amounts of $50,000 per person and $100,000 per accident. This coverage can help reimburse you after an accident caused by another driver who lacks any or adequate car insurance of their own to fully pay for your costs.
- Medical payments: In Maine, this coverage is required in the amount of $2,000 per accident. This coverage can help pay for the cost of medical treatment to yourself or your passengers if you or they get injured in an accident you're at fault for.
Optional car insurance coverages in Maine include:
- Gap coverage: This coverage can pay the difference between what your vehicle is worth and what you owe on your remaining vehicle loan after a collision.
- Rental car reimbursement: This coverage can pay for the costs of a rental car after a covered accident.
- Roadside assistance: This coverage can pay for the costs of towing, etc., if you break down on the side of the road.
- Collision: This coverage can pay for damage to your own vehicle after an accident you're at fault for.
- Comprehensive: This coverage can pay for costs caused by threats other than collision, including incidents with large animals, windshield breaks, and more.
A Maine independent insurance agent can help you build a car insurance policy that incorporates all the components necessary to keep your vehicle and all its drivers safe.
Save on Car Insurance
Our independent agents shop around to find you the best coverage.
Average Cost of Car Insurance in Maine
Maine's average car insurance premium is just $805 per year. Drivers in the US pay an average of $1,311 per year. However, a car insurance policy's cost varies depending on the insurance company and the coverages included. In Maine, an auto insurance policy with only minimum coverage can cost as little as $227 per year, though a "full coverage" car insurance policy can average about $876 annually.
Average Maine Car Insurance Costs by City
Due to factors like local crime rates and car values, as well as competition, natural disaster risk, and more, car insurance costs also vary by city. In Maine, the city with the lowest car insurance costs, on average, is Presque Isle, with rates of about $682 annually. In contrast, the city with the most expensive average rates for car insurance is Sanford, where drivers pay about $889 per year for coverage.
Finding Car Insurance Discounts in Maine
Drivers in Maine already enjoy much lower than the national average premiums on their car insurance. However, these common car insurance discounts can help reduce your rates even further.
- Student driver discounts: Awarded to customers with a student driver listed on their policy.
- Anti-theft devices: Awarded to customers whose vehicles come with security devices like alarms.
- Paperless billing: Awarded to customers who choose to receive their billing statements electronically.
- Safe driver discounts: Awarded to customers who remain accident- and traffic-violation-free for a certain number of years.
- Military discounts: Awarded to customers who are current or retired Military members.
- Other discounts: Awarded to teachers, union members, government workers, and other qualifying group members.
Your Maine independent insurance agent will scout out any car insurance discounts you qualify for, whether they're on this list or not.
How to Find the Best Car Insurance Quote in Maine
Finding the best car insurance quote in Maine becomes much less of a hassle when you ask a Maine independent insurance agent for help. These agents can shop and compare auto insurance policies from hundreds of different carriers for you. Then they provide the results of their research for you in one convenient place, allowing you to choose the top contender for the overall blend of coverage and cost.
How to File a Car Insurance Claim in Maine
Filing a car insurance claim in Maine is already nerve-wracking enough, no matter what. That's why we're hoping to make the process itself less painful by breaking it down into simple steps you can easily follow.
- File a police report: If you've been involved in a collision, be sure to file a police report ASAP, ideally from the scene.
- Tend to any injuries: If you or others were injured, make sure to prioritize medical treatment for any injuries before taking the next steps.
- Call your independent insurance agent: Your Maine independent insurance agent can file a claim for you directly through your car insurance company.
- Get a rental vehicle: Your independent insurance agent can provide you with your claim number and even help you get set up with a rental vehicle if your policy includes that coverage.
- Schedule a visit with an adjuster: Your agent may be able to schedule this appointment for you, but you'll often need an insurance adjuster to evaluate your vehicle's damage in person, though sometimes this can be done remotely.
Your Maine independent insurance agent is always available for questions on the claims process and to help you file auto insurance claims as well.