Portland, ME, residents enjoy warm, relatively short summers and endure prolonged winters. When temperatures plummet in Portland, especially during Maine's freezing winters, accidents can occur, and you will need a good car insurance policy to cover against them.
Whether your car broke down on Fore River Parkway, or you had a major accident on I-295, either one could cost you hundreds or thousands of dollars in collision-related losses.
By hiring an independent insurance agent, you can find the best car insurance policy to meet your coverage and monetary needs. Find an independent insurance agent in Portland, ME, to learn more. You can start comparing personalized car insurance quotes right away.
How Much Does Car Insurance Cost in Portland, ME?
The typical cost of car insurance in Maine is much lower than the national average. You may be able to save hundreds of dollars each year by taking your time when shopping and comparing prices.
- National average annual car insurance cost: $1,311
- Maine average annual car insurance cost: $927
Insurance rates can vary from one person to another and can occur because all insurance firms have their own method of deciding risk and calculating rates. Below are some factors that the cost of your car insurance quote may be based on:
- Prior insurance coverage
- The make, model, and year of vehicles being insured
- Your credit score and driving record
- The amount of your deductible
- Information about other licensed drivers in your home
- Your age, gender, occupation, and marital status
- The amount of liability insurance being obtained
- The coverage options included in your policy
If you are bundling your car insurance with renters or homeowners insurance, you may be eligible for substantial discounts on your policies. You may also be eligible for other discounts if you have a safe driving record or make good grades in school.
Let an independent insurance agent help you compare rates and find the discounts you qualify for. They can help you get the car insurance coverage you need at the most economical price.
Save on Car Insurance
Our independent agents shop around to find you the best coverage.
What Car Insurance Coverage Options Are Available in Portland, ME?
Virtually all car insurance policies are designed with a blend of mandatory and voluntary car insurance coverage options. As a resident of Portland, your car insurance policy must meet or exceed Maine’s minimum car insurance coverage requirements. Maine requires car drivers to carry liability insurance and an uninsured motorist insurance policy.
If you are still making payments on your car, your bank will almost certainly require you to carry comprehensive and collision insurance. Similarly, if you are leasing your car, the dealer will probably require you to carry collision and comprehensive coverage.
The minimum liability insurance requirements are as follows:
- $50,000 for injury/death to one person
- $100,000 for injury/death to more than one person
- $25,000 for damages to property
Liability insurance reimburses third parties for personal injury and/or property damages. Please note that comprehensive or collision insurance does not meet Maine’s vehicle financial responsibility requirements.
Below are several car insurance coverage options you might expect your local independent insurance agent to offer you:
- Collision insurance: (Partially optional) This option covers repairs or the replacement of your car it it is damaged in an accident, regardless of fault.
- Comprehensive insurance: (Partially optional) This option covers repairs or the replacement of your car if it is lost or damaged due to a non-collision event such as flooding, lighting, or car fire.
- Uninsured motorist insurance: (Required) This option covers other non-covered damage and injuries you may undergo if you are in a collision with an uninsured, underinsured, or hit-and-run driver.
- Roadside assistance and towing: (Optional) This policy covers essential options if your car breaks down while out driving, like if your engine coolant leaks out.
- Rental reimbursement coverage: (Optional) This option covers the cost of renting an alternate car while your car is being repaired following a covered event.
Speak to your independent insurance agent for aid in selecting your liability coverage needs.
Is There a Penalty for Driving without Insurance in Portland, ME?
If you get stopped by an officer while driving in Portland, you should make sure your insurance coverage meets Maine’s minimum requirements for car liability insurance. Currently, there are no penalties set in place for driving without car insurance in Maine. If you get into a car accident, however, you will be responsible for all personal injury and/or property damage costs related to the accident.
Portland, ME, has one of the lowest percentages of uninsured drivers in the nation.
- Percentage of US drivers who are uninsured: 13%
- Percentage of ME drivers who are uninsured: 4.5%
Since you are required to have uninsured motorist car insurance in your policy, you can rest assured that you will receive compensation for an accident without going through high-priced lawyers or tedious lawsuits.
What Is the Auto Theft Rate in Portland, ME?
The 2018 crime rate in Portland, ME, was 224, which is 1.2 times lower than the US average. In the last two years, Portland has seen increasing violent crime and a decline in property crime.
- National auto theft rate per 100,000 vehicles: 228.9
- ME auto theft rate per 100,000 vehicles: 58.1
- Portland auto theft rate per 100,000 vehicles: 129.9
Though the risk of someone stealing your car is much lower in Portland, it is important to remember you can only be compensated for a car theft if your policy includes comprehensive coverage. This partially optional coverage can also comprise a sizeable assortment of non-accident related damage such as floods, heavy snows, and hurricanes.
If you lease your car or still make payments, hopefully you already have comprehensive coverage. If not, talk to your independent insurance agent to find out how much it will cost you to add this non-accident related coverage to your car insurance policy.
Why Work with an Independent Insurance Agent in Portland, ME?
Independent insurance agents can be advantageous when looking for the best car insurance policy to meet your coverage needs. These insurance professionals can define your coverage options, answer insurance-related questions, and help you assess offerings from several insurance firms.
Contact a TrustedChoice.com independent insurance agent with an office near Portland, ME, to start comparing customized car insurance quotes in no time.
©2021, Consumer Agent Portal, LLC. All rights reserved.