Car Insurance in Lewiston, ME
Experts break down auto insurance costs, coverages, companies, and more for drivers in Lewiston, Maine.
As a vehicle owner in Lewiston, you need car insurance. A good auto insurance policy can prevent you from facing unmanageable financial losses whether you cause a multi-vehicle collision on I-95, get rear-ended at a red light on Lisbon Street, are involved in a parking lot fender bender, or anything in between.
It’s easy to find the best car insurance when you work with a local independent agent. These agents can acquire customized quotes from multiple insurance providers as they search for the coverage you want at the most competitive price. Contact an independent insurance agent near you to get started.
How Much Does Car Insurance Cost in Lewiston, ME?
The average cost of car insurance in Maine is lower than the national average rate. This is welcome news for Lewiston drivers looking for an affordable policy.
- National average annual car insurance cost: $1,311
- Maine average annual car insurance cost: $805
Of course, an average rate can only give you a general idea of what a policy might actually cost you. Premiums can vary significantly from one driver to another because insurance companies calculate costs based on factors like:
- Your vehicle’s make, model, year, and condition
- Your age, occupation, marital status, and driving history
- Information about the other licensed drivers in your household
- Whether you own or rent your home
- The auto theft and collision rate in the vicinity of your home
- The amount of liability coverage you want to buy
- The coverage options you wish to include in your policy
- The size of your deductible
Comparing rates from a few competing insurance companies lets you choose the policy that offers the coverage you want at the most affordable price. This has the potential to save you hundreds of dollars a year.
You may be able to save even more money if you bundle your car insurance with another policy like homeowners insurance, renters insurance, or life insurance.
Other money-saving incentives you may qualify for include multi-vehicle discounts, safe driver discounts, good student discounts, and military service discounts. A local independent agent can ensure that you receive any offered car insurance discounts to which you are entitled.
Is Car Insurance Required in Lewiston, ME?
To comply with Maine state law, all vehicle owners in Lewiston must have a car insurance policy that includes:
- Auto liability insurance: This pays for other people’s property damage and injuries if you cause a collision. Your policy must provide at least:
- $50,000 in bodily injury liability coverage per person
- $100,000 in bodily injury liability coverage per accident
- $25,000 in property damage liability coverage per accident
- Uninsured/underinsured motorist insurance (UM/UIM): This pays for medical treatment for you and your passengers if you are injured in a collision caused by an uninsured or underinsured driver. Your policy must provide at least:
- $50,000 in UM/UIM bodily injury coverage per person
- $100,000 in UM/UIM bodily injury coverage per accident
- UM/UIM property damage coverage is not available in Maine. Instead, you would need to be covered by collision insurance.
- Medical payments insurance: This helps cover your medical costs if you or your passengers are injured in a collision, regardless of fault. Your policy must provide at least:
- $2,000 in medical payments coverage per person
Some vehicle owners in Lewiston also need to include physical damage insurance in their car insurance policies. Though this coverage is not required by law, it is usually required by lenders if you are financing your vehicle and by dealerships if you are leasing it.
Physical damage insurance includes:
- Collision insurance: This covers the cost to repair or replace your vehicle if it is damaged or totaled in a collision, regardless of fault.
- Comprehensive insurance: This covers the cost to repair or replace your vehicle if it is damaged or totaled by a non-collision event such as a hailstorm or theft.
If you own your vehicle outright, physical damage insurance is optional.
What Else Does Car Insurance Cover in Lewiston, ME?
In addition to the coverage types mentioned above, most insurance companies offer several options. The following are some of the coverage options you may want to consider including in your car insurance policy:
- Towing and roadside assistance insurance: This pays for assistance if your vehicle breaks down and you need to call for help, such as if you get a flat tire or your engine overheats.
- Glass replacement insurance: This pays the cost of replacing the safety glass in your car’s windows, windshield, or sunroof if it is cracked or broken. In many cases, this coverage is not subject to a deductible.
- Gap insurance: This can pay off your car loan or buy out your lease if your car is totaled in a covered event. Gap insurance is only beneficial while you still owe more for your vehicle than it is worth.
- Rental car reimbursement insurance: This can pay for the cost of renting a vehicle while you are having your car repaired for damage sustained in a covered event.
- Umbrella insurance: This is a separate policy that your car insurance provider may offer. It enables you to affordably boost your liability coverage well beyond the limits of your car insurance policy.
A local independent agent can help you determine which, if any, coverage options are a good fit for you and your family.
Save on Car Insurance
Our independent agents shop around to find you the best coverage.
What Is the Penalty for Driving without Insurance in Lewiston, ME?
Operating an uninsured vehicle is considered a traffic infraction in Maine. If caught, you can face the following penalties:
- Fines of $100 to $500
- The suspension of your driving privileges until you obtain insurance
- Reinstatement fees to get your driving privileges back
- The requirement to maintain an SR-22 for three years
- Higher car insurance rates
Furthermore, if you fail to surrender your driver’s license, registration, and plates following a conviction for uninsured driving, you will be charged with a Class E misdemeanor, which is punishable by a fine of $2,000 and up to six months in jail.
The good news for motorists in Lewiston is that Maine has one of the lowest uninsured driver rates in the country.
- Percentage of US drivers who are uninsured: 13.0%
- Percentage of Maine drivers who are uninsured: 4.5%
Uninsured/underinsured motorist insurance is required in Maine. If you are in a collision caused by an uninsured, underinsured, or hit-and-run driver, your UM/UIM coverage can provide immediate coverage for any related medical bills.
This saves you from the need to spend precious time and resources suing the at-fault driver for the compensation you are due.
What Is the Auto Theft Rate in Lewiston, ME?
The auto theft rate in Lewiston is half the national average but twice as high as the average rate in Maine. Residents of this city report around 40 stolen vehicles a year.
- National auto theft rate per 1,000 vehicles: 2.29
- Maine auto theft rate per 1,000 vehicles: 0.58
- Lewiston, ME auto theft rate per 1,000 vehicles: 1.09
As a vehicle owner in Lewiston, you should know that you can only be compensated for a stolen vehicle if your car insurance policy includes comprehensive (or “other than collision”) insurance.
Comprehensive insurance covers far more than just theft. It can also reimburse you for loss and damage to your car due to other non-collision hazards like floods and garage fires.
What Are the Best Car Insurance Companies in Lewiston, ME?
Some of the many attributes that make insurance companies stand out above the rest include responsive customer service, reliable coverage, rapid claims processing, and competitive rates.
Independent insurance agents in Lewiston have partnered up with some of the best car insurance companies in Maine. Therefore, your agent can help you review policies and quotes from a selection of insurance providers you can count on if you ever need to file a claim.
Why Work with an Independent Insurance Agent in Lewiston, Maine?
Local independent agents are available to offer guidance and advice when you are shopping for car insurance. These experienced insurance professionals can answer your coverage-related questions and provide you with a selection of customized policies and quotes that you can review and compare together.
Arrange an obligation-free consultation with an independent insurance agent near you to begin your search for the best car insurance policy in Lewiston, ME.
TrustedChoice.com Article | Reviewed by Jeffrey Green
©2023, Consumer Agent Portal, LLC. All rights reserved.