The majority of Maryland residents enjoy a day out on the water, specifically near Ocean City. The fastest-growing water sport in the state is jet skiing. PWCs are small, powerful, and fun. Ocean City, MD provides visitors with beautiful water, easy launching, and a lively boardwalk to enjoy. With such large crowds drawn to the coastal town, jet ski accidents are bound to happen. While PWC insurance isn't required by law, it's an important step in being a responsible boater to have PWC insurance covering you while enjoying Maryland's waters.
Use our independent agent matching system to find the best insurance plan in your area. You tell us what you’re looking for, and our technology will recommend the best agents for you. Any information you provide will be sent to only the agents you pick. We do not sell to third parties.
Maryland PWC Facts
- There are over 12,000 PWCs registered in Maryland.
- During previous years, there were 145 jet ski accidents in MD.
- There were 11 fatalities during previous years involving jet skis in Maryland.
- There have been over 800 jet ski accidents in the state during the last five years.
Using a PWC is fun, but these watercrafts are meant to be enjoyed responsibly. No individual under the age of 16 is allowed to ride a jet ski. If you were born after 1972, you must have a boater safety course certificate on your boat with you showing that you've completed the course. You must also be wearing a U.S. Coast Guard-approved life jacket at all times while on the jet ski. There are many other jet ski rules to be aware of, so be sure to review the state requirements before hitting the water. Additionally, while not legally required, having PWC insurance will allow you to have peace of mind that you're protected while on the water.
What is PWC Insurance in MD?
PWC insurance in Maryland is a set of policies designed to help protect you from some of the most common risks that jet skiers face every time they hit the water. A typical PWC insurance policy may resemble the following:
- Property damage: This coverage helps pay for any damage you cause to your jet ski during a collision, regardless of fault.
- Liability coverage: If you are at fault for a PWC accident, liability insurance can help the damaged party get the repairs they need. If you do not have this coverage, you may have to pay for the repairs and medical bills out-of-pocket.
- Medical payments coverage: If you or someone riding on your PWC is injured in an accident, this coverage can work to help pay for the medical care of the injured parties.
- Watersports liability: If you frequently tow people on inflatables with your jet ski or tow waterskiers, this coverage can help protect you from costs and liabilities associated with watersports.
- Wreckage removal or towing: If you're involved in a PWC accident and your jet ski is wrecked, most water authorities require you to remove your damaged vessel. This can be an expensive process. This coverage is designed to help you pay for those costs.
- Uninsured/underinsured boater: Many boaters do not carry insurance while on the water. If you're involved in an accident with an underinsured/uninsured boater, you may be out of luck when it comes to getting the funds to repair your PWC. This insurance may help you get those funds.
- Accessory insurance: If you have a GPS system, camera, saddlebags, or fishing equipment on your PWC, this insurance will cover those items.
- PWC trailer coverage: Trailers can be damaged in a variety of ways. From hitting a dock to being hit by another vehicle, trailer coverage can help repair your trailer.
- Fuel spill/pollution removal coverage: Most water authorities require you to remedy any fuel spill you're responsible for. This process involves professional environmental companies, and can quickly get expensive. This insurance can help cover these costs.
How Does PWC Insurance Work in Maryland?
Let's say you're riding your jet ski with a friend in Ocean City, MD, and you hit a large rock. Both you and the passenger sustain minor injuries, and your jet ski is totaled. Your insurance will kick in and help you pay for the medical bills for both you and your passenger up to the policy limits. Additionally, if you have personal property coverage, this insurance can help replace your damaged jet ski. Finally, if you have wreckage removal, you may use that coverage to help pay for the removal of the sunken jet ski. The coverage you choose will have limits and a deductible. Once the deductible is paid, you can be covered up to the limit of the policy.
Additionally, if you're at fault for an accident with another boater, that boater will contact your insurance company to file a liability claim. Your liability insurance is designed to kick in and help pay for the damages to the injured party's boat. Additionally, liability insurance may help pay for any legal fees associated with the accident.
What Types of PWCs are Covered?
There are many types of PWCs on the water, and each one has the potential for accidents and, therefore, should be covered with PWC insurance. Here are some of the most common types of PWCs that are covered:
- Stand-up PWC
- Sit-down PWC
- Multiple person PWC
- Racing PWC
- Submersible PWC
These are just a few of the most popular types of PWCs. If you have a PWC outside of these, insurance is most likely available.
How Much Does PWC Insurance Cost in Maryland?
When it comes to getting PWC insurance, there is no exact cost, as the risks you face are different than those of others in your area. When getting quotes for PWC insurance, be sure to be familiar with the following:
- Type of PWC
- Make/Model of PWC
- Age of PWC
- Value of PWC
- Where PWC is stored
- Where PWC will be used
- If a trailer will be used
- Top speed/engine size of PWC
- How many passengers will be riding PWC
- If you will be towing anything with the PWC
- Your driving record on and off the water
- History of claims
All of these factors will come into play when calculating a PWC insurance quote. This will ensure that you will be getting the best coverage for your individual situation and risks.
Are There Discounts on PWC Insurance for Maryland Residents??
There are usually many discounts available on PWC insurance policies. Be sure to ask about any available discounts you qualify for, including the following:
- Multi-policy discount
- Safety course discount
- Multi-unit discounts
- Customer loyalty or new customer discounts
- Lay-up discount (if you only use your jet ski in the summer months, for example)
- Military discount
- Industry affiliation discount
This list is not exhaustive, and each insurance company has different discounts available. So be sure to ask about any discounts you're not aware of.
How Do I Get PWC Insurance in Maryland?
When it comes to getting PWC insurance in Maryland, it's important to have a professional on your side that understands the passion and the details of jet skiing. An agent is always available to help suggest coverages, find discounts, or even help you file a claim.