In 2019 alone, businesses in Mississippi collected more than $3.1 billion in insurance claims. Many of these claims were due to lost or damaged property. If you are a business owner in the Magnolia State, you can protect the investment you have made in your company’s assets with commercial property insurance.
Local independent agents can help you be certain that your business property is suitably insured and that you are getting your coverage at a competitive price. Contact an insurance agent near you to get started.
Who in Mississippi Needs Commercial Property Insurance?
Any business in Mississippi that owns expensive, valuable, or excessive property can benefit from carrying a commercial property insurance policy.
Commercial property insurance is typically not purchased as a stand-alone policy. Rather, it is something that is included as a standard part of a business owners policy (BOP) or a business insurance policy.
How Much Does Commercial Property Insurance Cost in Mississippi?
The cost of commercial business insurance can vary from one company to the next. This is because rates are calculated according to several factors such as the following.
- The kinds of property you want to insure
- The value of your business-owned property
- The crime rate and weather risks in the ZIP code where your business is located
- Your company’s claims history
On average, businesses in Mississippi spend about $900 a year for their commercial insurance coverage. However, small businesses with little in the way of property will pay a lot less, while large companies with a lot of inventory and assets can expect to pay much more.
The only way to find out how much commercial property insurance will cost for your Mississippi business is by requesting customized quotes from a few competing insurance providers. Independent agents can save you time and money by doing the comparison shopping on your behalf.
What Kinds of Property Does Commercial Property Insurance Cover?
Commercial property insurance is rather comprehensive. It can cover the structure of the building in which your business is housed (if it is owned by your company) as well as most of your business assets including things like the following.
- Desks, chairs, and other furniture
- Tools, machinery, and supplies
- Computers, servers, and networking equipment
- Telecommunication equipment
- Merchandise and inventory
- Shelving units
- Filing cabinets, records, and paperwork
- Outdoor signs
- Landscaping features
Some hazards like hurricanes and tornadoes can be unforgiving. You will want to be sure that your coverage levels are high enough to enable you to repair or replace all of your commercial property if you experience a total loss.
Save on Business Insurance
Our independent agents shop around to find you the best coverage.
What Hazards Does Commercial Property Insurance Cover Against?
Commercial property insurance is designed to cover your business against most of the hazards you are likely to face in Mississippi. Covered events include the following.
- Fires, including accidental fires and wildfires
- Hurricanes and tropical storms
- Property crimes, including theft, vandalism, and arson
You can learn more about the hazards your commercial property insurance can cover against by consulting a local independent insurance agent.
What Does Commercial Property Insurance Not Cover?
As with any kind of insurance policy, commercial property insurance has some limitations. For instance, your policy will not cover the following.
- Vehicular damage: This can be covered by your commercial vehicle insurance policy.
- Flood damage: You can get coverage against this hazard through an National Flood Insurance Program (NFIP)-provided commercial flood insurance policy.
- Earthquake damage: Businesses in high seismic activity areas can supplement their coverage with an earthquake insurance policy.
- Liability costs: This can be covered by your business liability insurance.
- Employee theft: You can get coverage against employee theft through fidelity bonds.
Additionally, if you own a multiunit commercial property, your commercial property insurance will not cover loss or damage to your tenants’ property. They will be responsible for covering their own property.
How Can I Find the Best Commercial Property Insurance in Mississippi?
When you are shopping for any type of insurance coverage for your Mississippi business, you can rely on a local independent agent for help. These experienced agents can answer your insurance-related questions, provide trustworthy advice, and shop around for great coverage at an affordable price.
There are more than 200 independent agents in Mississippi. Set up an obligation-free consultation with an insurance agent near you to get started.
TrustedChoice.com Article | Reviewed by Jeffrey Green
©2021, Consumer Agent Portal, LLC. All rights reserved.