Dayton, OH, is the birthplace of Orville Wright and is known for aviation. It is home to the National Museum of the United States Air Force, putting Dayton on the map.
With its 140,371 residents, you'll want to have adequate protection where you live. An independent insurance agent can help find coverage for an affordable price. You can get connected with a local expert in seconds.
Property Crimes in Dayton, OH
The local crime rate is usually outside of your control. However, it will still impact your home insurance premiums. The safer the city, the less you'll pay for coverage. Let's look at the numbers:
- Number of burglaries per 100,000 households in the US: 376
- Number of burglaries per 100,000 households in OH: 412.2
- Number of burglaries per 100,000 households in Dayton: 1,211
The number of burglaries in Dayton, OH, is higher than both the state and national figures. When you're discussing your costs with your independent agent, make sure you talk about bundling. If you put your home and auto insurance with the same carrier, you qualify for a large discount. This can offset any premium increase due to local crime rates.
Natural Disasters and Your Dayton, OH, Homeowners Insurance
Fire, theft, catastrophe, and severe weather will impact your life as well as your home policy. When shopping for insurance, go over Dayton's most common risk exposures. Let's take a look at catastrophic events that occur in Ohio:
- The average number of tornadoes: 19
- The most common natural disaster: Severe storm
- The number of claims paid in 2016: 1,105,456,000
- The number of federally declared catastrophes since 1953: 59
Specific property risks occur more often in Dayton. These should all have coverage under your homeowners policy, with the exclusion of flood.
Top Five Property Risks in Dayton, OH:
#4 Heavy rain
What about flood damage?:
Flood damage is excluded from your primary home policy. Most insureds are not even aware of this until it's too late. Speak with your independent agent on your separate flood insurance policy. To get adequate flood protection, do this:
- Contact your Dayton independent agent
- Determine the flood zone with your agent
- Have your agent quote flood insurance
- Obtain coverage through the best option presented
Every home is at risk for flooding. When a loss occurs, you don't want to be standing in an inch of water before realizing there's no coverage. Connect with your local agent to go over your flood insurance options.
Liability Insurance Options in Dayton, OH
Liability insurance is one of the most used coverages on your home policy. It will protect against some of life's most common lawsuits. When liability insurance would apply:
- Bodily injury to another person on your property
- Libel or slander caused by a member of the household
- A dog bite injury to another party
- Damage to another person's property
Additional liability coverage can be purchased through an umbrella policy. Umbrella insurance will provide a limit of liability above and beyond your underlying home policy. Once your primary limits are exhausted, umbrella insurance would kick in. Connect with your Dayton independent agent to find the liability policy that meets your needs.
The Cost to Insure Your Dayton, OH, Home
Your home's specific criteria and your personal data are what determines the price of insurance. When you're comparing rates, it's important to know the averages. To get a better idea of what premiums look like, see below:
- National average: $1,211
- Ohio average: $862
Your rates could be similar to the above figures or completely different. Since costs are customized, it's hard to get an exact number. When you are aware of the factors the carriers use, you may be able to lower your rates:
- Your credit score
- The replacement cost of your home
- Coverage selected
- Carrier discounts
- Your insurance score
- Year, square footage, and construction type of your home
- The local crime rate
Ohio is 43rd on the list of highest home insurance premiums. This means your costs could be less expensive in general. The only way to get your home insurance prices is to have your independent agent run quotes.
How to Insure Your Airbnb in Dayton, OH
A rental property, especially a short-term one, needs to have adequate protection. Third parties often carry an exposure that your primary home wouldn't. The carriers will account for any vacancies and tenant liabilities with rental home insurance. The different homeowner policy types are below:
- Landlord insurance: This will insure the replacement cost of the home and your interests as the owner. Loss of use coverage will help cover the rent when the house needs to be replaced or repaired due to a claim.
- Vacation home insurance: This will cover your seasonal home. Since the property will be occupied less throughout the year, the carriers charge accordingly. This policy will provide similar coverage as your primary home insurance policy.
To discuss your Airbnb, long-term rental, or vacation property, contact an independent insurance agent.
An Independent Insurance Agent in Dayton, OH
When you work with an independent insurance agent in Dayton, OH, you're getting the best coverage in town. They have access to local carriers, finding you unbeatable pricing.
Your home is likely your largest asset and should be insured like one. An independent agent can be found on TrustedChoice.com. Use the find-an-agent tool to get matched with a Dayton expert in minutes.
TrustedChoice.com Article | Reviewed by Jeffrey Green
©2021, Consumer Agent Portal, LLC. All rights reserved.