Amarillo Car Insurance
Experts break down car insurance costs, coverages, companies, and more.
Even the most experienced drivers can be involved in collisions. That is why vehicle owners in Amarillo are required to carry car insurance. From fender-benders on Western Street to multi-car collisions on I-40, a good auto insurance policy can save you from facing large financial losses as a result.
It is easy to find a good car insurance policy when you work with a local independent agent. These experienced professionals can help you obtain and compare customized car insurance quotes from some of the best car insurance companies in Amarillo. Contact an insurance agent near you to get started.
How Much Does Car Insurance Cost in Amarillo, Texas?
The average cost of car insurance in Texas is higher than the national average.
- National average annual car insurance cost: $1,311
- Texas average annual car insurance cost: $1,449
Of course, this average rate can only give you a general idea of what you might actually be expected to pay. Car insurance premiums can vary from one driver to the next because they are based on several considerations such as:
- The make, model, and year of the vehicles you are insuring
- Your age, occupation, and driving history
- Information about the other licensed drivers in your household
- Whether you own or rent your home
- The amount of liability coverage you are purchasing
- The coverage options you want to include in your policy
You can usually get rate reductions if you bundle your car insurance with other policies such as home insurance or renters insurance. Comparison shopping enables you to get the coverage you want at the lowest available price.
What Are the Minimum Car Insurance Requirements in Texas?
In Texas, all car insurance policies must include liability insurance, which is designed to cover other people’s property damage and medical bills if you are responsible for a collision. Your policy must include coverage of at least:
- $30,000 in bodily injury liability per person
- $60,000 in bodily injury liability per accident
- $25,000 in property damage liability per accident
These required amounts may seem like a lot. However, if you are responsible for an accident that results in serious injuries to others, their medical costs can easily exceed what a minimum coverage policy can pay for. In that case, you would be expected to make up the difference out of pocket.
That is why many Amarillo drivers opt to purchase car insurance that has higher liability limits than the state requires. If you have a lot to lose and want more liability insurance than your policy will allow, umbrella insurance is an affordable way to boost your coverage even higher.
What Else Can Amarillo Car Insurance Cover?
In addition to the mandatory liability coverage mentioned above, your insurance provider will offer a variety of coverage options that you may want to include in your Amarillo car insurance policy. This optional coverage includes:
- Collision insurance: This covers the cost to repair or replace your vehicle if is it damaged or totaled in a collision, regardless of fault.
- Comprehensive insurance: This covers the cost to repair or replace your vehicle if it is damaged or totaled by a non-collision event such as a windstorm or a fallen tree.
- Personal injury protection (PIP) or medical payments: Each of these covers medical costs for you and your passengers if you are injured in a collision, regardless of fault. Though PIP and Med-Pay are similar, there are some significant differences, so be sure to review each before making a choice.
- Roadside assistance and towing: This covers the costs of assistance if your car becomes disabled while you are away from home, such as if your engine overheats, you run out of gas, or you get a flat tire.
- Gap insurance: This can pay off your car loan if your vehicle is totaled in a covered event. It is a good idea if the amount still owed on your car loan is greater than the current assessed value of your car.
- Rental reimbursement coverage: This can cover the cost of renting a car while yours is being repaired due to damage caused by a covered event.
Be sure to review each of your insurance options so you can decide which, if any, are a good fit for you and your family.
Save on Car Insurance
Our independent agents shop around to find you the best coverage.
What Is the Penalty for Driving without Insurance in Amarillo, TX?
If you are caught driving without insurance, you can face fines of $175 to $1,000, fees of $750, and higher car insurance rates. If you are a repeat offender, you can also have your car impounded for 180 days.
If you cause an accident while uninsured, the penalties are even harsher. In addition to a fine and car impoundment, you can have your license and registration suspended for two years and may even face jail time. Additionally, you will need to cover any property damage or injuries you caused.
Despite these penalties, a significant number of motorists in this state are driving without insurance.
- Percentage of US drivers who are uninsured: 13.0%
- Percentage of Texas drivers who are uninsured: 14.1%
Uninsured motorist insurance was created to ensure that if you are in a collision caused by an uninsured or underinsured driver, you can you receive the compensation you deserve quickly and without the need to take legal action against the at-fault driver.
Does Amarillo Car Insurance Cover against Auto Theft?
The auto theft rate in the state of Texas is higher than the national rate, and in Amarillo, the rate is even higher. Residents of this city report close to 1,000 auto thefts every year.
- National auto theft rate per 1,000 people: 2.29
- Texas auto theft rate per 1,000 people: 2.43
- Amarillo auto theft rate per 1,000 people: 4.83
Know that you can only receive compensation for a stolen vehicle if your car insurance policy includes comprehensive coverage. Comprehensive insurance covers more than just car theft, it also covers a variety of non-collision damage such as may be caused by floods or hail.
If you are still paying for your vehicle or if you have it on a lease, chances are good you already have this coverage. If not, talk to an independent insurance agent to find out how much it will cost you to include comprehensive coverage in your Amarillo car insurance policy.
How Can an Independent Agent in Amarillo Help Me Find the Best Car Insurance Policy?
If you are looking for an ideal auto insurance policy to meet your coverage and budgetary needs, a local independent agent can help. These agents work for you, not for a particular insurance company, so they can shop around to find you the coverage you want at a price you can afford.
Contact an insurance agent in Amarillo to get more information and to start comparing customized car insurance quotes.
©2023, Consumer Agent Portal, LLC. All rights reserved.