You need a top-rated insurance company to handle your car insurance policy, but finding one can be an unwelcome chore. You'll need minimum liability coverage as a Natchitoches resident, along with any other coverage that fits your lifestyle and budget. Getting multiple quotes may be a hassle, but it's worth the time.
When you choose an independent insurance agent, shopping for your car insurance policy is simple. They'll shop dozens of highly rated insurance companies on your behalf. Since your agent works for you, and not for a specific insurer, you'll get the best possible combination of value and coverage. Find an insurance agent in Natchitoches today to learn more.
How Much Does Car Insurance Cost in Natchitoches, LA?
The average cost of car insurance in Louisiana is only slightly higher than the national average. Taking the time to shop around and compare rates can potentially save you hundreds of dollars a year.
- National average annual car insurance cost: $1,311
- Louisiana average annual car insurance cost: $1,405
These numbers help you understand what to expect, but your quotes will differ from the average. Each insurance company has its own algorithms. They use your personal information to come up with your premium.
Your quoted costs will be based on a number of factors such as:
Your Driving History, Driver Profiles and the Type of Car You Insure
If you've added a more expensive or newer car to your policy, your premium may rise. Premiums for younger drivers and those who've made a claim previously for an at-fault crash may also pay higher rates.
Your Credit History
Some insurance companies use your credit-based insurance score to help determine rates. Past credit problems could mean you'll see higher insurance quotes.
You may pay more or less for auto insurance because of where you live. People who live in a state with more claims pay higher average insurance rates. Your rates may be higher if you live in a densely populated area, as well.
How to Save Money on Car Insurance in Natchitoches
One of the easiest ways to reduce the amount of money you spend on car insurance is to bundle your auto policies with your home insurance or renters insurance. You'll see lower rates for each of your cars if you use the same insurer for all of your policies.
You could get other discounts if you are a student with good grades or you have a safe driving record. Your agent can help you choose a company that offers discounts that best match your situation.
What Does Natchitoches Car Insurance Cover?
Your auto insurance policy will probably include some optional coverage. In Louisiana, you must carry liability insurance with certain minimum amounts. Personal injury protection (PIP) and uninsured motorist coverage are optional policies.
If you are still paying for your vehicle, it's important to follow your lender's guidelines about the types and amounts of insurance you carry. Your lender may require proof of insurance as a condition of your loan.
Your insurance carrier will offer these types of insurance:
Required Insurance Coverage
- Liability insurance: This covers other people’s injuries and damage if you cause an accident. Your policy must include:
- Bodily injury liability coverage of at least $15,000 per person and $30,000 per accident
- Property damage liability coverage of at least $25,000 per accident.
Optional Insurance Coverage
- Personal injury protection (PIP): This pays for medical expenses for you and your passengers if you are injured in a collision, no matter who is at fault.
- Uninsured motorist insurance: This pays for damage and injuries for you and your passengers if you are in a collision with an uninsured, underinsured, or hit-and-run driver.
- Roadside assistance and towing: This pays for assistance if your vehicle is disabled while you are away from home. It includes coverage for running out of gas, getting a flat tire, mechanical failure, and locking your keys in your car.
- Rental reimbursement coverage: This pays the rental bill if you need a car while yours is in the shop undergoing repairs for a covered event.
Partly Optional Insurance Coverage
- Collision insurance: This pays to repair or replace your vehicle if it is damaged in a collision.
- Comprehensive insurance: This pays to repair or replace your vehicle if it is lost or damaged due to a non-collision event such as a flood, falling object, or garage fire.
Your agent can help you evaluate these policies while considering your budget. You may want more than the minimum amount of liability insurance, so it's important to learn how purchasing the coverage you need affects the cost of your premium.
Save on Car Insurance
Our independent agents shop around to find you the best coverage.
What Is the Penalty for Driving without Insurance in Natchitoches?
Driving without insurance is illegal in Louisiana. If caught, you can face fines of $100 for a first offense, and up to $700 for further offenses.
There are about the same number of uninsured drivers in Louisiana as there are nationwide.
- Percentage of US drivers who are uninsured: 13%
- Percentage of Louisiana drivers who are uninsured: 13%
Natchitoches residents aren't required to have uninsured motorist insurance in their car insurance policy.
If you are in a crash with an uninsured driver, you may have to sue them to cover the damage. This is a time-consuming and expensive process. With uninsured and underinsured motorist coverage, you'll receive the coverage you need to recover from a crash.
How High Is the Auto Theft Rate in Natchitoches?
The auto theft rate in Louisiana is lower than the national average.
- National auto theft rate per 1,000 vehicles: 2.37%
- Louisiana auto theft rate per 1,000 vehicles: 2.21%
You'll only be covered for auto theft if you have comprehensive coverage with your car insurance policy. This optional policy also covers other non-collision damage, like flooding, fire, fallen trees, and hail.
If you have a lease or loan on your car, you may already have comprehensive coverage. Your agent can help you understand your current policy and recommend any changes or additions.
Why Work with an Independent Insurance Agent in Natchitoches, LA?
When you choose to work with an independent agent in Natchitoches, you'll get one-on-one help as you build your ideal car insurance policy. With a deep understanding of local laws, your agent can explain your coverage options and answer your insurance-related questions.
Discover the benefits of choosing an independent agent. Contact an insurance agent with an office in or near Natchitoches and get started today.
TrustedChoice.com Article | Reviewed by Jeffrey Green
©2022, Consumer Agent Portal, LLC. All rights reserved.