Winthrop, MA is home to more than 18,000 people. This town offers its residents all the benefits of small-town living while all the amenities of Boston are just a short drive away. If you own a house in this beautiful ocean-side town, homeowners insurance can protect your investment.
Independent insurance agents in Winthrop can help you find a comprehensive, yet competitively priced, homeowners insurance policy. Find an insurance agent near you to get more information and to start reviewing a selection of customized quotes.
How Much Does Homeowners Insurance Cost in Winthrop, MA?
To get an idea of how much a policy will cost you, let’s look at some averages:
- National average yearly premium: $1,173
- Massachusetts average yearly premium: $1,379
Homeowners insurance costs in Massachusetts are generally on the high side. In Winthrop, rates are likely to be a bit higher because this coastal city has an increased risk of hurricane and tropical storm damage.
Home insurance rates are calculated on a case-by-case basis according to several factors such as:
- The age, size, and value of your house
- Whether your house is equipped with hurricane shutters, storm doors, and/or storm windows
- The number of stories your house has and whether it has a basement
- The crime rate and common weather hazards in your ZIP code
- How much coverage you are purchasing
- Your claims history and credit score
- The amount of your deductible
If you bundle your home insurance with other coverage such as car insurance or business insurance, you can often get all of your policies at discounted rates. An independent agent in Winthrop can help you find the best home insurance policy to meet your coverage and budgetary needs.
Winthrop Homeowners Insurance Covers Your Property
Your homeowners insurance policy can provide coverage against most of the risks you are likely to face as a property owner in Winthrop. These hazards include hurricanes, severe storms, gusty winds, hail, heavy snows, and freezing temperatures.
Catastrophic Events in Massachusetts
- Number of federally declared disasters in Massachusetts: 54
- Most common reasons for disasters in MA: Severe storms and hurricanes
- Average number of tornadoes per year in Massachusetts: 1.4
- Average amount of property damage per year in MA: $808 million
- 1 in 15 insured homes has a claim each year.
You will want to be sure that your coverage limits are high enough to allow you to rebuild, repair, or replace damaged property if your home is impacted by a catastrophic event like a fire or a hurricane.
What about Floods in Winthrop, MA?
One thing homeowners insurance will not cover against is flood damage. This is true even if the flood is the direct result of a covered hurricane. Given its proximity to the ocean, this city has a very high risk of sustaining flood damage.
In order to be covered, you will need to purchase a supplementary flood insurance policy through the National Flood Insurance Program (NFIP). This government-backed insurance is guaranteed. You cannot be turned down for coverage, and filing a claim will not cause your rates to go up.
Flood insurance policies take 30 days to go into effect, so don't wait until heavy rains are imminent to purchase a policy. Talk to your local insurance agent to learn more about how flood insurance can protect you.
Homeowners in Winthrop Need Liability Insurance
Homeowners insurance does more than just cover your property. It also provides you with a significant amount of personal liability insurance. Most insurance companies offer between $100,000 and $500,000 worth of coverage.
Homeowners liability coverage is designed to absorb expenses like court costs, legal fees, and damages when they are associated with a covered liability lawsuit. Examples of times that you may need to use this liability insurance include if:
- A visitor suffers a serious head injury in an accident on your property.
- While hitting the links at the Winthrop Golf Club, you hit an errant golf ball that causes injuries or property damage to someone else.
- Your child forgets to close the gate and your dog gets loose and bites a neighbor.
- A local business takes issue with a scathing review you posted online and sues you for libel.
Your local insurance agent can explain this liability coverage to you in greater detail.
If you want to have even more liability coverage than your home insurance policy can provide, your agent can also help you secure an affordable umbrella insurance policy.
Homeowners Insurance Covers against Property Crimes in Winthrop
The burglary rate in Massachusetts is lower than the national average rate. In Winthrop, the rate is even lower. This is not to say that the risk does not exist. There are about 30 burglaries reported in this city every year.
- Number of burglaries per 1,000 homes in the US: 4.69
- Number of burglaries per 1,000 homes in Massachusetts: 2.82
- Number of burglaries per 1,000 homes in Winthrop: 1.28
Of the many preventive measures you can take to lower your risk of being targeted by burglars, home security systems are one of the most effective. That is why many insurance companies offer discounts to policyholders who have burglar alarms installed in their homes.
If your house is broken into, you may find it comforting to know that your homeowners insurance can provide you with compensation for your losses. Your local insurance agent can help you review your policy’s contents coverage to ensure that your most valuable belongings are appropriately covered.
What about Insurance for Second Homes and Vacation Homes?
Maybe you own a winter vacation home in a warmer climate. Or perhaps you own beach house that you rent out for extra income.
Whatever their purpose, if you own more than one house, your extra property is likely to have additional risk factors that insurance companies will take into consideration when they calculate your rates. You may also be required to purchase specialized home insurance coverage.
- Vacation homes: If you own a vacation house and it is left vacant and unattended for several months out of the year, there is an increased risk of property damage. You will most likely be required to carry vacant home insurance during the times that the property is unoccupied.
- Rental properties: If you own a house that is occupied by tenants, your liability and property damage risks will be higher than they are for your primary residence. This type of home would need to be covered by landlord insurance.
A local insurance agent can help you review the coverage needs of your secondary properties and can help you find the best home insurance coverage for all of them.
Why Work with an Independent Insurance Agent in Winthrop, MA?
You can turn to a local independent insurance agent when you are looking for answers to your insurance-related questions, need the advice of a trusted professional, or just want help finding the best and most affordable homeowners insurance policy for your Winthrop home.
Set up a one-on-one consultation with an insurance agent near you to learn more. You will soon discover how easy it can be to compare customized, competitively priced home insurance quotes from a variety of trusted insurance companies.
©2020, Consumer Agent Portal, LLC. All rights reserved.