Worcester is also known as the “Heart of the Commonwealth." Founded on the shores of the Blackstone River, the city has a long and colorful history and is a perfect place to raise a family. Whether you are buying a new home or have just moved to the area and are shopping for a new place to live, you may be wondering how to find the best Worcester, MA homeowners insurance policy. To compare several different policies and find the right coverage for your home, contact a local independent insurance agent in our network. Your agent can help you compare Worcester home insurance quotes and get the protection you need for your home and valuable possessions.
Number of Catastrophes in Massachusetts
- National number of catastrophes: 19,033
- Number of catastrophes in Massachusetts: 140
- National number of tornadoes: 1,233
- Number of tornadoes in Massachusetts: 2
Massachusetts has a low number of catastrophes and an even lower number of tornadoes, but be sure you have a good insurance plan in place in case of an unforeseen circumstance, such as a flood or a fire.
Number of Thefts
- National average for burglaries: 37,814
- Massachusetts number of burglaries: 30,735
Be sure to protect your home against break-ins and theft with a Massachusetts homeowners insurance policy from an agent in your area.
What Does a Homeowners Policy Cover?
A typical Worcester homeowners insurance policy may include coverage for the following:
- Damage to your home and detached structures from a number of perils such as fire and severe weather
- Additional living expenses if the house is being repaired and you have to live somewhere else temporarily
- Some portion of the contents of your house, depending on the total value of the policy
- Liability coverage for claims of bodily injury or property damage to third parties
Note that flood insurance is not typically covered and requires a separate policy, as does earthquake damage. A member agent in our network can help you determine your specific risks and the appropriate coverage you need in addition to Worcester homeowners insurance.
Homeowners Insurance Reimbursement Options
A Worcester homeowners insurance policy may allow you to choose how you will be reimbursed in an event of a claim. Typically, there are two choices:
- ACV (actual cash value): If a policy offers ACV coverage, this means it provides coverage for the repair or replacement of your possessions at a depreciated value.
- Replacement cost: This is a separate option offered by many insurance companies where, for a slightly more expensive premium, you could be reimbursed for the actual replacement cost of your lost or damaged items at current market value.
The majority of home policies also specify a maximum amount of coverage for valuable or priceless personal possessions such as artwork and fur coats. You should review your policy to determine whether any of these coverage limits apply to your situation. You may need to purchase insurance riders to make certain that the full value of these specialty items is insured against a loss. You should also periodically review the amount of coverage that you have on your home to ensure that the coverage reflects the current market value of your property and the personal items you own.
Cost of Homeowners Insurance in Massachusetts
- National yearly premium average: $1,034
- Massachusetts yearly premium average: $1,150
- 11th most expensive premium in the US
Factors that Affect Worcester Homeowners Insurance Costs
Your specific home insurance premium will be unique to your home and circumstances. Some of the factors that will affect your premium include:
- The home's construction type
- The size, age, and value of your home and property
- The insurance coverage amount you choose
- The amount of liability protection you buy
- The deductible amount you choose
- Whether you add any additional riders for special valuables
How to Save on Your Home Insurance Premiums
There are a number of ways to save on your Worcester homeowners insurance. Some of the things you can do include:
- Increasing the deductible amount you will pay in the event of a claim (though this will increase your out of pocket costs)
- Combining your homeowners and auto insurance under one insurance company for a multi-policy discount
- Improving the safety and security of your home with a home security system, deadbolt locks, and a fire sprinkler
Compare Worcester Home Insurance Quotes
You can find the right Worcester homeowners insurance for your unique needs by working with an independent agent in our network. These agents have access to many different insurance companies and can help you compare a range of quotes on policies that can be tailored to your home and your budget.
Contact a local insurance agent today to start the process and get your home and personal property protected.