Even the most experienced drivers can get in accidents, particularly in the winter months when snow and ice make driving hazardous. That is why Eden Prairie vehicles owners are required to carry car insurance. From fender benders on Prairie Center Drive to multi-car pile-ups on I-494, a reliable auto insurance policy can shield you from facing large financial losses.
Shopping for car insurance is easy when you work with an independent insurance agent. These agents can help you obtain and compare a variety of policies and quotes. That way, you can be sure you are buying the best and most affordable auto insurance policy in Eden Prairie.
How Much Does Auto Insurance Cost in Eden Prairie, Minnesota?
Minnesota is the 39th most expensive state for car insurance.
- National average annual car insurance cost: $1,311
- Minnesota average annual car insurance cost: $1,222
- Eden Prairie average annual car insurance cost: $1,145
Average car insurance rates in the state of Minnesota are a bit lower than the national averages; in Eden Prairie, average rates are even lower. Of course, the figures above can only give you an estimate of how much you might be expected to pay.
Rates can vary significantly from one driver to the next. This is because they are determined according to several different factors, including:
- The make, model, year of the vehicle(s) you are insuring
- Your age, driving record, claims history, and credit score
- Whether you own or rent your home
- The accident and auto theft rates in your ZIP code
- The amount of liability coverage you wish you purchase
- Whether you are bundling your coverage with another policy like home insurance or renters insurance
- Whether you qualify for discounts, such as for being a good driver or a good student
There are many factors involved, and each insurance company has a different way of calculating rates. That is why comparison shopping can save you money. Talk to an independent agent in Eden Prairie to easily obtain and compare a selection of competitively priced quotes.
Minnesota Car Insurance Requirements
- Bodily injury liability: Required
- Property damage liability: Required
- Personal injury protection (PIP): Required
- Uninsured motorist coverage: Required
- Minimum liability limits: 30/60/10; coverage up to $60,000 for all persons injured in an accident, subject to a limit of $30,000 for one individual; and $10,000 coverage for property damage.
Minnesota’s minimum coverage requirements are high enough cover most collisions. However, if you are responsible for a major accident in which several people are severely hurt, or which causes excessive property damage, the resultant costs can easily exceed these limits. In that case you would be responsible for making up the different out of pocket.
That is why many Eden Prairie vehicle owners choose to purchase car insurance with higher-than-required liability insurance limits. Some even choose to invest in an umbrella insurance policy to ensure even greater liability coverage. Your independent agent can help you get the liability coverage you want at the most affordable price.
Number of Uninsured Motorists in Minnesota
If you are caught driving without car insurance in Minnesota, you can face stiff fines, the suspension of your license, and, potentially, even jail time. Despite this, one in ten drivers you are sharing the roads with is operating their vehicle without insurance.
- How many US drivers are uninsured? 12.6%.
- How many Minnesota drivers are uninsured? 10.8%.
If you are in a collision that is the fault of an uninsured driver, that person is required to pay for damage and any necessary medical treatment. Unfortunately, even with a court order, it can be very difficult and time-consuming to collect this money, particularly if the guilty party simply doesn’t have it.
Uninsured motorist insurance, which is required in Minnesota, eliminates this risk. This insurance covers damage and injuries that may result if you are in a collision with an uninsured, underinsured, or hit-and-run driver. Your insurance company will then try to collect the owed money from the at-fault driver, and will absorb the costs if they cannot.
Number of Auto Thefts in Eden Prairie, MN
The auto theft rate in Minnesota is lower than the national average. In Eden Prairie, the risk is even lower. There are only about 20 vehicles stolen in this city each year.
- National auto theft rate per 1,000 vehicles: 2.94
- Minnesota auto theft rate per 1,000 vehicles: 1.74
- Eden Prairie auto theft rate per 1,000 vehicles: 0.25
Comprehensive, or “other than collision,” insurance is necessary for you to be compensated following an auto theft. This insurance is optional, but most lenders will require you to carry it until your loan is paid in full.
Comprehensive insurance covers a wide range of damage that is not related to collisions. This includes hazards such as falling objects, floods, structure fires, and property crimes, including auto theft and vandalism.
Why Work with an Independent Insurance Agent?
As a vehicle owner in Eden Prairie, you can turn to an independent agent for help when you are shopping for the best car insurance. These local agents are a wonderful resource for insurance information, and can even advocate for you if you need to file a claim.
Find an agent in or near Eden Prairie to learn more. You can start comparing customized, competitively priced auto insurance quotes in no time.
©2020, Consumer Agent Portal, LLC. All rights reserved.