Columbia, MO is a town known for the arts. Theatrical performances showcasing plays and musicals make Columbia a lively place.
If you drive the streets of this scenic town, you'll need a car insurance policy. A local independent insurance agent can help with your coverage and rates. Connect with an agent to get the coverage you need.
Car Insurance Costs in Columbia, MO
Your car insurance premium is unique and different from anyone else's. That's because of a variety of factors that individualize your policy. The cost is specific to you, making your rates customized to you. Let's take a glance at what carriers look for:
- Location: Where you live.
- Coverage selection: The amount of coverage you need.
- Discounts: If you qualify for discounts on rates.
- Claims history: How many claims you have filed in the past.
- Crime rates: Local crime rates will make your costs higher or lower.
- Credit score: If you have good credit, your rates will be lower.
- Motor vehicle records: If you have a record of violations, your insurance costs will go up.
Carriers will look back 3 to 5 years on your violations and claims history. So if you have many items that occurred in a short period, it's likely your rates will be high. Even though insurance premiums are different from person to person, it might help to know the averages.
Average Auto Insurance Premiums
- National annual average: $2,305
- Missouri annual average: $3,111
Your costs could be above or below the averages, depending on your specifications. The only way to know your exact pricing is to have your local agent quote your car insurance.
Auto Insurance Requirements in Columbia, MO
Every driver is required by law to carry the state-mandated limits of liability. If you are caught without coverage, you can be fined or even jailed. Let's look at the facts:
- Minimum requirements in Columbia, MO: $25,000 per person/ $50,000 per accident/ $10,000 property damage
Auto Liability Limits Explained
- Bodily injury liability: This pays for the other driver's medical expenses when you're at fault.
- Property damage liability: This pays to replace or repair damaged property when you're at fault.
With a population of over 121,717 residents, it's important to protect yourself from all the risks in Columbia, MO. Often, the state minimum limits are not enough coverage. Since the average cost to replace a vehicle is over $36,000, you'll want a policy that responds. Connect with your local agent to get the coverage you need.
Uninsured Drivers in Columbia, MO
If you get into a car accident with an uninsured driver, your finances will take a hit without the proper coverage. Uninsured/underinsured motorist insurance will pay for your medical and property damage expenses if the at-fault party does not have insurance. Let's look at the percentage of uninsured drivers:
- National: 13.0%
- Missouri: 14.0%
You'll want to safeguard you and your loved ones from a potential claim with an uninsured driver. In Missouri, 14.0% of drivers don't have insurance, and some of them are in Columbia. Discuss uninsured motorist coverage with your independent agent.
Theft Rates in Columbia, MO
The crime rate in your area will have a lot to do with your insurance costs. The safer your city is, the better your premiums will be. Let's look at the average theft rates:
- National average per 100,000: 228.90
- Missouri average per 100,000: 323.40
- Columbia average per 100,000: 2,143.00
Columbia has a larger population, which leads to higher crime rates. The average number of thefts is much higher than the state and national figures. If you live in Columbia, contact your independent agent to see how the theft rates will impact your premiums.
Optional Auto Coverages in Columbia, MO
In Missouri, you must carry the minimum limits of liability, but what about other coverages? To have proper insurance, you'll want to know what optional coverages you can apply to your policy.
Optional Auto Policy Coverages
- Comprehensive coverage will replace or repair your car if non-collision damage occurs, such as fire, theft, falling objects, or being struck by an animal.
- Collision coverage will replace or repair your vehicle when a crash occurs.
- Gap coverage will pay for the difference between the amount left on your auto loan and your car's value when a total loss happens.
- Rental coverage will pay for a rental vehicle while your covered auto is in the shop or being replaced.
- Towing coverage will pay for the tow of a covered vehicle.
- Medical payments coverage will pay for your medical expenses if you are at fault for an accident and get injured.
Coverage for you, your cars, and your passengers is essential. To get it right the first time, connect with your Columbia agent about your auto insurance options.
What If You Deliver Packages in Columbia, MO?
If you are a delivery driver and are using your own vehicle to make your rounds, your car insurance isn't the right policy. More often than not, your personal auto insurance excludes coverage for any delivery or rideshare services.
If you get into an accident while on the clock, your carrier will deny the claim and cancel coverage. Your independent agent can help you obtain a commercial auto policy to have adequate protection for your business.
Connect with a Columbia, MO Independent Agent
When you work with a local independent insurance agent, you get the best of both worlds. They have access to multiple carriers, so you have options on coverage and price.
If you're not sure where to start, go to TrustedChoice.com. They can connect you with a local independent agent so you can get the car insurance you need.
©2020, Consumer Agent Portal, LLC. All rights reserved.