Car Insurance in Papillion, NE
Experts break down auto insurance costs, coverages, companies, and more for drivers in Papillion, Nebraska.
If you own a vehicle in Papillion, Nebraska, you are required to cover it with car insurance. From fender-benders on 84th Street to multi-car collisions on Highway 370, a solid auto insurance policy can prevent you from experiencing significant financial losses as a result.
Finding the best car insurance is easy when you work with an independent agent. These agents can provide you with a variety of customized car insurance quotes so you can be sure you are getting your coverage at a competitive price. Contact an independent insurance agent in Papillion to get started.
How Much Does Car Insurance Cost in Papillion, NE?
The average cost of car insurance in Nebraska, and Papillion specifically, is lower than the national average. This is welcome news for area residents looking for an affordable policy.
- National average annual car insurance cost: $1,311
- Nebraska’s average annual car insurance cost: $1,086
- Papillion’s average annual car insurance cost: $1,121
Of course, an average rate can only give you a general idea of what you will be expected to pay for your policy. Car insurance costs can vary significantly from one driver to the next because insurance companies base their rates on several factors like:
- The make, model, and year of the vehicle(s) you are insuring
- Your age, gender, occupation, marital status, and driving history
- Details about the other licensed drivers in your household
- Whether you own or rent your home
- Your claims history and credit score
- The auto theft and accident rates in the vicinity of your home
- How much liability coverage you are buying
- The coverage options you are including in your policy
- Your deductible amount
In most cases, you can earn rate reductions if you bundle your car insurance with other policies such as homeowners insurance or renters insurance.
You may also qualify for additional car insurance discounts if you have a long, safe driving record, are a student with good grades, or are a member of the armed services. Be sure to ask about all potential discount opportunities when buying your coverage.
Is Car Insurance Required in Papillion, NE?
Vehicle owners in Papillion must carry a car insurance policy that meets or exceeds Nebraska’s minimum coverage requirements. This means that your policy must include:
- Liability insurance: This covers other people’s injuries and property damage if you are at fault for a collision. Your liability coverage must consist of, at a minimum:
- $25,000 in bodily injury liability insurance per person
- $50,000 in bodily injury liability insurance per accident
- $25,000 in property damage liability insurance per accident
- Uninsured/underinsured motorist insurance (UIM): This covers the treatment of injuries if you or your passengers are hurt in an accident caused by an uninsured or underinsured driver. Your UIM coverage must consist of, at a minimum:
- $25,000 in UIM bodily injury insurance per person
- $50,000 in UIM bodily injury insurance per accident
- UIM property damage insurance is not required
When deciding how much coverage to purchase, keep in mind that if you are at fault for a collision in which other people are seriously injured, their medical costs can easily exceed what a minimum liability policy can cover.
If your policy’s liability limits are not high enough to meet your financial responsibilities, you will need to make up the difference out of pocket. That is why vehicle owners in Papillion opt to purchase car insurance with liability coverage limits that are much higher than the state requires.
If you want to boost your liability coverage even higher than your car insurance provider can allow, you can supplement your coverage with an affordable umbrella insurance policy.
What Else Does Car Insurance Cover in Papillion, NE?
Your car insurance provider is likely to offer several coverage options in addition to the liability insurance and uninsured motorist coverage that the state requires. Here are some options you may want to include in your auto insurance policy:
- Full coverage: Though this is optional by law, it is typically required by lenders if you are financing your car and by dealerships if you are leasing it. Full coverage includes:
- Collision coverage: This covers the cost to repair or replace your vehicle if it is damaged or totaled in a collision, regardless of fault.
- Comprehensive coverage: This covers the cost to repair or replace your vehicle if it is damaged or totaled by a non-collision event such as a hailstorm or theft.
- Medical payments insurance: This helps pay for medical treatments if you or your passengers are injured in a collision, regardless of fault.
- Gap insurance: This can cover the gap between how much your car is worth and how much you still owe for it if it is totaled in a covered event. New cars depreciate quickly, so this coverage may be beneficial during the first year or two of new car ownership or if you are leasing your vehicle.
- Towing & roadside assistance: This covers the cost of calling for help if your car becomes disabled, such as if your engine overheats or you get a flat tire.
- Windshield and glass replacement: This covers the cost of having your vehicle’s safety glass replaced if it is cracked or broken.
- Rental car reimbursement: This covers the cost of renting a vehicle while your car is being repaired following a covered event.
Reviewing coverage details and costs for all of your available options can help you determine whether any are a good fit for you and your family.
Save on Car Insurance
Our independent agents shop around to find you the best coverage.
What Is the Penalty for Driving without Insurance in Papillion, NE?
Driving without insurance is classified as a Class II misdemeanor in Nebraska. Penalties for this infraction may include:
- The suspension of your driver’s license, plates, and vehicle registration until you can provide proof of insurance
- The need to pay a $50 license reinstatement fee and a $50 registration renewal fee to get your license and registration reactivated
- The requirement to maintain an SR-22 for three years
- Higher car insurance rates
Fortunately, the rate of uninsured drivers in Nebraska is much lower than the national rate.
- Percentage of US drivers who are uninsured: 13.0%
- Percentage of Nebraska drivers who are uninsured: 6.8%
If you are in a collision for which an uninsured driver is at fault, that person is responsible for paying for your property damage and any necessary medical treatments. However, this compensation can often be difficult to collect if you have to do it on your own.
Uninsured motorist insurance, which is required in Nebraska, ensures that you will receive timely compensation for medical bills without the need to take legal action against the at-fault driver. If your policy includes collision insurance, that will cover your property damage.
Does Papillion, NE Have a High Auto Theft Rate?
The auto theft rate in Nebraska is higher than the national rate, but in Papillion, the rate is much lower. This is not to say that the risk does not exist. Residents of this city report around 18 vehicle thefts a year.
- National auto theft rate per 1,000 vehicles: 2.29
- Nebraska’s auto theft rate per 1,000 vehicles: 2.53
- Papillion’s auto theft rate per 1,000 vehicles: 1.07
If your vehicle is stolen, your car insurance can only reimburse you for your loss if your policy includes comprehensive (or “other than collision”) coverage.
This optional insurance covers more than just auto thefts. It can also reimburse you for repair costs related to various non-collision events, such as if an uprooted tree falls on your vehicle or your car is totaled in a garage fire.
If you are leasing or financing your car, you probably have comprehensive insurance already. If not, talk to a local independent agent to find out how much it will cost to include this optional coverage in your car insurance policy.
What Are the Best Car Insurance Companies in Papillion, NE?
Some of the characteristics that make certain insurance companies stand out above the rest include a consistent record of providing responsive customer service, reliable coverage, and affordable rates.
Independent insurance agents have teamed up with some of the best car insurance companies in Nebraska. This lets you be sure that any policies your agent recommends for your review are offered by insurers you can count on if you ever need to file a claim.
How Can an Independent Insurance Agent in Papillion, NE Help?
When you are looking for the best auto insurance policy, look no further than a local independent agent. These experienced insurance professionals aren’t tied to a particular insurance provider, so they can shop around to find you the policy that offers all the coverage you want at the most competitive price.
Contact an independent insurance agent in Papillion to get answers to your insurance-related questions and to start comparing customized quotes from some of the area’s most highly rated insurance companies.
TrustedChoice.com Article | Reviewed by Jeffrey Green
©2023, Consumer Agent Portal, LLC. All rights reserved.