As the capital city of Ohio, Columbus sees nearly constant traffic on all major roadways. If you live in the busy community of Columbus, OH make sure you have the protection of a reliable Columbus car insurance plan.
A local independent insurance agent specializes in matching Columbus drivers with affordable auto insurance options that protect against the most common threats on Ohio’s roads. An agent works with multiple carriers to help you find the best car insurance in Columbus, OH.
How Much Does Car Insurance Cost in Columbus, Ohio?
One of the major perks of living in Ohio is access to the lowest car insurance premiums in the nation. Rates in Columbus are slightly higher than the state average but still well below the national cost of car insurance.
- National average car insurance cost per year: $1,311
- Ohio average car insurance cost per year: $843
- Columbus average car insurance cost per year: $968
You can lower your rates even more by taking advantage of available discounts and shopping rates with your agent. Every insurance company considers different factors when calculating auto insurance, such as:
- Make and model of your vehicle
- Vehicle safety features
- Your age, gender, and occupation
- Number and age of drivers being insured
- Where you live and park your vehicle
- How many miles you drive per year
- The amount of coverage you're purchasing
- Your driving history
Shopping multiple insurance quotes in Columbus, OH can guarantee that you get the most affordable policy that fits your needs.
Is Car Insurance Required in Columbus, OH?
To legally own and operate a vehicle in Columbus, you need to purchase the state-required liability minimums for auto insurance. Liability insurance pays for injuries and property damage in the event of an accident.
Ohio Car Insurance Requirements
- Bodily injury liability: Drivers are required to purchase a minimum of $25,000 for individual injuries and $50,000 total for all injuries per accident.
- Property damage liability: Drivers are required to purchase a minimum of $25,000 per accident for any property damage.
In many cases, drivers will automatically choose a Columbus auto insurance plan that provides this minimum level of protection, but this could be a mistake. If you get into a wreck and the damage costs more than your coverage limit, you will have to pay the difference out of pocket.
By paying just a little more upfront, you can increase your coverage level and have peace of mind that you have enough coverage even if you get into a massive collision during the Columbus rush hour.
Save on Car Insurance
Our independent agents shop around to find you the best coverage.
What Does Car Insurance Cover in Columbus, OH?
The most important thing to understand about liability coverage is that it won't pay for personal injuries, personal property damage, or damage to your vehicle. For these reasons, you should discuss the following additional coverages with your agent.
- Collision insurance: Helps pay to repair or replace your vehicle if it is damaged or totaled in a collision, regardless of fault.
- Comprehensive insurance: Pays to repair or replace your vehicle if it is damaged by a falling tree, storm, or any other event outside of a collision.
- Uninsured motorist insurance: Pays for injuries and property damage that occurs with an uninsured motorist if the cost exceeds your policy limits. 12.4% of Ohio drivers are not insured, so uninsured motorist coverage is important to consider.
- Roadside assistance and towing: Pays for costs associated with a breakdown on the side of the road.
- Rental car reimbursement: Pays for a rental car if your vehicle is not able to be driven after an accident and is being repaired.
Does Columbus, Ohio Car Insurance Cover against Auto Theft?
In Columbus, auto theft is an ongoing concern, especially in the inner-city areas where crime is always more prevalent. Even if you keep your doors locked and you have a top-notch security system, there is no guarantee that your car will stay safe.
That’s why it’s critical to select a car insurance policy that covers theft and offers compensation for the value of your vehicle if it ever gets stolen.
Number of auto thefts in Ohio
- National number of thefts for 1,000 vehicles: 2.29
- Number of thefts for 1,000 vehicles in Ohio: 1.703
- Number of thefts for 1,000 vehicles in Columbus: 3.93
You can only receive coverage for auto theft if your car insurance policy includes comprehensive coverage. If you're leasing your vehicle or have a loan for your car, you'll likely be required to purchase comprehensive coverage.
Who Are the Best Car Insurance Companies in Columbus, OH?
When shopping for the best car insurance companies in Columbus, you want to consider a company's reputation, rates, and process for dealing with claims. Fortunately, local independent insurance agents are familiar with the best companies in the area.
An agent will be able to guide you toward a company that offers affordable rates and has a reputation for quickly resolving claims.
How Can an Independent Insurance Agent Help Me Find the Best Car Insurance in Columbus, OH?
Shopping for car insurance in Columbus isn’t something you should take lightly. Buying a car is a major investment, and you want to protect your vehicle by choosing an auto insurance plan that offers maximum protection.
Talk to an independent insurance agent near you to get more information and to start comparing customized quotes from some of the best car insurance companies in Columbus, OH.
TrustedChoice.com Article | Reviewed by Jeffrey Green
©2023, Consumer Agent Portal, LLC. All rights reserved.