Athens, AL, is a smaller town with 25,616 residents, and many of them are accessing the roadways at any given time. This state is the third-largest contributor to commercial truck fatalities in the US, so protection is necessary. When you own a business in Athens, AL, you could need commercial vehicle insurance.
Fortunately, an independent insurance agent can help you find a commercial auto policy that's affordable. Since coverage is mandatory, you'll need insurance that complies with local law. Connect with a trusted adviser for quotes.
Why Do Athens, AL Businesses Need Commercial Vehicle Insurance?
In Athens, AL, you must carry commercial vehicle insurance if you use autos for your business. The Alabama Highway Safety Office has a drive safe initiative to help road goers stay informed on safe driving practices. According to their reports:
- In Alabama, about 57% of road fatalities did not wear seat belts.
- 51% of all Alabama road fatalities occurred at night, including dusk and dawn.
- In Alabama, most fatal crashes occur on a Saturday.
- Friday is when most accidents occur in Alabama
- A road accident in Alabama occurs every 197 seconds
If you run heavy loads across state lines, you'll need to be aware of two responsibilities:
- Commercial vehicle insurance may need to comply with both state and federal regulations.
- Materials that are being transported will need to be documented with DOT and your insurance carrier.
How Much Does Commercial Vehicle Insurance Cost in Athens, AL?
The net commercial auto insurance premiums earned last year totaled $12,764,999. Several items affect your insurance costs. Check out the risk factors that companies use to determine your pricing below:
- Year, make, and model of all vehicles
- The radius in which you travel
- The number of drivers and their driving records
- What the vehicles are used for
- The coverage you choose
- Where you store the vehicles
- What safety measures you have in place
- The time of day or night these vehicles are driven
Carriers will look at the above factors as well as personal and outside data. Things like loss history, crime rate, and local weather can play a part in your premiums. Review your coverage options to get the best price in town.
What Are the Commercial Vehicle Coverage Requirements in Athens, AL?
Athens, AL, requires that all businesses that use commercial autos have the minimum limits of liability. When your operation uses heavy trucks and tractor-trailer trucks, you'll need to abide by the Department of Transportation's (DOT) guidelines. Check out the state's requirements below:
Alabama minimum liability requirements for commercial vehicles:
- $25,000 property damage liability per accident
- $50,000 bodily injury liability per accident
- $25,000 bodily injury liability per person
Alabama DOT minimum liability requirements for oversized vehicles / loads:
- $100,000 bodily injury liability per person
- $300,000 bodily injury liability per accident
- $300,000 property damage liability per accident
- $1,000,000 if a combined single limit policy
Alabama has 2,955,000 commercial truck registrations per year. Each needs adequate insurance for the road ahead. The best way to get commercial vehicle coverage for an affordable rate is by obtaining multiple quotes.
What Else Does Athens, AL Commercial Vehicle Insurance Cover?
The commercial auto insurance industry is a $46.6 billion market. Coverage options differ from carrier to carrier. To get more than liability-only, consider other coverages. Take a look at the additional choices below:
- Rental car insurance: This covers the cost of renting a commercial vehicle while your company-owned auto is being repaired.
- Towing and roadside assistance: This will pay for a tow to pick up your disabled commercial auto.
- Non-owned or hired auto liability insurance: If an employee or contractor uses a non-company-owned vehicle while doing business on your behalf, this will cover your exposure.
- Uninsured motorist insurance: If your commercial auto is involved in an accident with an uninsured driver, this provides coverage for property damage and medical costs.
- Collision insurance: This will replace or repair your commercial auto that is damaged due to an accident.
- Comprehensive insurance: This covers the cost to repair or replace your commercial vehicle if it is lost or damaged due to a non-collision accident.
Why Work with an Independent Agent in Athens, AL?
Your business insurance policies can make or break your operation. If you're caught without adequate protection, the expense could be enough to put you out of business. If you want the right coverage at a low price, consider using a professional.
An independent insurance agent has access to several markets, giving you options. They work on your behalf at zero cost to you. Connect with a local adviser on TrustedChoice to get started.
TrustedChoice.com Article | Reviewed by Jeffrey Green
©2020, Consumer Agent Portal, LLC. All rights reserved.