Huntsville, AL, is a large town with 194,585 residents, and many of them are on the road every day. In Alabama, there were 2,955,000 commercial truck registrations in a year. If you run an operation in Huntsville, you may be required to have commercial vehicle insurance.
An independent insurance agent can find a commercial auto policy that won't impact your bottom line. Since coverage is mandatory, you'll need it to comply with state and federal regulations. Get connected with a local expert in minutes.
Why Do Huntsville, AL Businesses Need Commercial Vehicle Insurance?
If your Huntsville, AL business uses commercial vehicles to run your operation, coverage is required. The Alabama Highway Safety Office has a drive safe initiative to inform locals. According to their reports:
- In Alabama, almost 57% of road fatalities did not wear seat belts.
- 54% of all Alabama road fatalities occurred at night, including dusk and dawn.
- In Alabama, most fatal crashes occur on a Saturday
- Friday is when most accidents occur in Alabama
- A road accident in Alabama occurs every 197 seconds
If your Huntsville business runs heavy loads across state lines, you'll have two responsibilities:
- Commercial vehicle insurance may need to comply with state and federal regulations.
- Materials that are being transported will need to be documented with DOT and your insurance carrier.
What Are the Commercial Vehicle Coverage Requirements in Huntsville, AL?
Huntsville, AL, has liability requirements for every commercial auto policy. If your business runs heavy trucks and tractor-trailer trucks, you'll need to abide by the Department of Transportation (DOT) guidelines as well. Check out the state's requirements below:
Alabama minimum liability requirements for commercial vehicles:
- $25,000 property damage liability per accident
- $50,000 bodily injury liability per accident
- $25,000 bodily injury liability per person
Alabama DOT minimum liability requirements for oversized vehicles / loads:
- $100,000 bodily injury liability per person
- $300,000 bodily injury liability per accident
- $300,000 property damage liability per accident
- $1,000,000 if a combined single limit policy
The number of fatal accidents caused by heavy tractor-trailer trucks is 111 annually. The loads being hauled are monitored and rated by how hazardous the materials are. To get accurate quotes, speak with a licensed professional.
What Else Does Huntsville, AL Commercial Vehicle Insurance Cover?
Your Huntsville commercial auto policy will come standard with the minimum limits of liability. If you want coverage for your vehicles themselves, you'll need to add it. Take a look at the additional coverage choices below:
- Uninsured motorist insurance: If your commercial auto is involved in an accident with an uninsured driver, this provides coverage for property damage and medical costs.
- Rental car insurance: This covers the cost of renting a commercial vehicle while your company-owned auto is being repaired.
- Towing and roadside assistance: This will pay for a tow to pick up your disabled commercial auto.
- Collision insurance: This will replace or repair your commercial auto that is damaged due to an accident.
- Non-owned or hired auto liability insurance: If an employee or contractor uses a non-company-owned vehicle while doing business on your behalf, this will cover your exposure.
- Comprehensive insurance: This covers the cost to repair or replace your commercial vehicle if it is lost or damaged due to a non-collision accident.
How Much Does Commercial Vehicle Insurance Cost in Huntsville, AL?
Commercial vehicle premiums are only about 5% of your annual costs. Numerous items go into calculating your rates. Check out the risk factors that companies use to determine your pricing below:
- Year, make, and model of all vehicles
- The radius in which you travel
- The number of drivers and their driving records
- What the vehicles are used for
- The coverage you choose
- Where you store the vehicles
- What safety measures you have in place
- The time of day or night these vehicles are driven
Insurance scores, loss history, and more are used as well. Carriers will utilize your business data and outside factors to get an accurate premium. Local weather and crime rates are things that you can't control, but they impact your commercial auto insurance costs.
Why Work with an Independent Agent in Huntsville, AL?
Commercial vehicle insurance is mandatory in Huntsville, AL. That means your business will need to meet specific insurance requirements to comply with local law. To avoid penalties and financial ruin, consult with a professional.
An independent insurance agent can help find a commercial auto policy through one of their many carrier options. Since they work on your behalf at no cost, you'll save money. Connect with an adviser on TrustedChoice to get started.
TrustedChoice.com Article | Reviewed by Jeffrey Green
©2020, Consumer Agent Portal, LLC. All rights reserved.