Jacksonville Car Insurance
A local independent agent can help you find the right car insurance policy for you and your family.
From multicar pileups on I-95 to fender-benders on Beach Boulevard, accidents can happen anytime, anywhere and to anyone. Fortunately, a good car insurance policy can shield drivers in Jacksonville, FL, from the expensive costs associated with collisions.
Independent insurance agents can help you find the best car insurance policy to meet your coverage and budgetary needs. Find an insurance agent in Jacksonville to learn more, and you can start comparing customized auto insurance quotes in no time.
How Much Does Car Insurance Cost in Jacksonville, FL?
The average cost of car insurance in Florida is much higher than the national average. Shopping around for the best rates has the potential to save you hundreds of dollars a year.
- National average annual car insurance cost: $1,311
- Florida average annual car insurance cost: $1,742
Car insurance costs are calculated on a case by case basis according to a number of factors.
- The year, make, and model of the vehicle(s) you are insuring
- Your age, gender, occupation, driving record, and credit score
- Information about other licensed drivers in your household
- The types and amount of coverage you are purchasing
- The size of your deductible
If you are bundling your car insurance with other coverage like home insurance or renters insurance, you may qualify for significant discounts on all your policies. You may also be entitled to other discounts, such as if you have a safe driving record or are a student with good grades.
What Are the Minimum Car Insurance Requirements in Jacksonville, FL?
Residents of Florida are required by state law to carry two types of coverage in their auto insurance policy.
- Property damage liability insurance (PDL)
- This covers other people’s property damage if you cause a collision.
- Your policy must include at least $10,000 worth of PDL coverage.
- Personal injury protection insurance (PIP)
- This covers the treatment of injuries sustained by you and your passengers if you are injured in a collision, regardless of fault.
- This insurance can also cover related expenses like lost wages and, the worse cases, funeral expenses.
- Your policy must include at least $10,000 worth of PIP coverage.
One coverage type noticeably missing from the state’s requirements is bodily injury liability insurance (BIL). Florida and New Hampshire are the only states that do not require residents to carry BIL.
What Else Can Jacksonville Car Insurance Cover?
In addition to the mandatory coverage mentioned above, you can expect your auto insurance provider to offer the following options.
- Bodily injury liability insurance (BIL): This can pay for other people’s medical treatments if they are injured in a collision for which you are at fault and their medical costs exceed what their PIP can pay for.
- Collision and comprehensive insurance: While optional by law, these types of coverage are typically required by lenders if you are still paying for your car and by dealerships if you are leasing it.
- Collision insurance: This can pay to repair or replace your vehicle if it is damaged in a collision, regardless of fault.
- Comprehensive insurance: This can pay for non-collision related loss or damage to your vehicle, such as if a tree falls on it or it is damaged in a garage fire.
- Uninsured motorist insurance: This can cover property damage and medical expenses if you are in a collision caused by an uninsured or under-insured driver and your costs exceed what your car insurance policy can cover.
- Gap insurance: This can bridge the gap between your car’s current value and what you still owe for it. That way, if your car is totaled in a covered event, you will not be stuck still making payments on it.
- Towing and roadside assistance: This can cover the cost of necessary assistance if your vehicle becomes disabled while you are out on the road or away from home, such as if your battery dies or your engine overheats.
- Rental car reimbursement: This can cover the cost of renting a vehicle while repairs are being made to your own following a covered event.
Reviewing costs for each of your coverage options can help you decide which are a good fit for you and your family.
Save on Car Insurance
Our independent agents shop around to find you the best coverage.
Why Is Uninsured Motorist Insurance So Important?
Even though driving without insurance in Florida is illegal, more than one out of four motorists in in this state is operating an uninsured vehicle. If caught, these drivers can face fines of $150 to $500 and the suspension of their driving privileges for up to three years.
- Percentage of US drivers who are uninsured: 13.0%
- Percentage of Florida drivers who are uninsured: 26.7%
Uninsured motorist insurance was created to help law-abiding citizens deal with this problem.
It lets you rest assured that if an uninsured, underinsured, or hit-and-run driver is responsible for a collision with your vehicle, you will receive the compensation you are due without needing to go through expensive lawyers or time-consuming lawsuits in an attempt to collect what is owed to you.
How High Is the Auto Theft Rate in Jacksonville?
The auto theft rate in Florida, and in Jacksonville specifically, is higher than the national average. Residents of this large city report nearly 3,000 auto thefts a year.
- National auto theft rate per 1,000 vehicles: 2.29
- Florida auto theft rate per 1,000 vehicles: 3.81
- Jacksonville auto theft rate per 1,000 vehicles: 3.09
The only way you can be reimbursed for a stolen car is if your auto insurance policy includes comprehensive coverage.
If you are leasing or financing your car, chances are good you have this coverage already. If not, you may want to ask about how much it will cost you to add this optional protection to your car insurance policy.
Why Work with an Independent Insurance Agent in Jacksonville, FL?
Independent agents can be a great source of information when you are looking for the best car insurance policy.
These experienced professionals can explain your many coverage options, answer your insurance-related questions, and help you review coverage and rates from multiple providers. That way you can choose the policy that offers the best value for your money.
Best of all, talking to an agent won't cost you anything. Contact an independent insurance agent with an office in Jacksonville to start comparing customized car insurance quotes.
©2023, Consumer Agent Portal, LLC. All rights reserved.