The city of Miami is a cultural and financial hot spot in South Florida. International visitors flock to Miami for an exciting and sultry mix of cultures, entertainment, and the arts. If you’re like most Miami residents, you’ll need a car to get around the city, whether you’re traveling to the city center or to the beach. That also means you’ll need reliable car insurance to protect yourself.
Of course, you’ll want to be sure you have the right protection for your vehicle at the best possible price. Working with an independent insurance agent is vital to finding the right Miami car insurance. Your local agent will get to know your insurance needs and get you multiple quotes from a variety of companies. You can then select a solid policy and drive with confidence knowing you’re covered no matter how hectic Miami traffic gets.
For these reasons and more, car insurance is expensive in Florida, and even more costly when you look at the city of Miami. A quick comparison with national averages from recent years makes that clear:
- Miami, FL average annual premium: $3,762
- Florida average annual premium: $1,742
- National average annual premium: $1,318
- Average Miami commute time: 27.7 minutes
There are a few different factors that will influence the final price for your Miami car insurance policy:
- Driver’s age and motor vehicle record
- Vehicle’s make and model
- Age, condition, and mileage of the car
- The deductible amount you pick
- The type of coverage and benefit amounts you select
- Crime rates
- Average number of miles you drive each year
Remember, your independent insurance agent will get you a few different car insurance quotes. They’ll also look for car insurance discounts that you qualify for so that you’ll pay the optimal premium.
Common Car Insurance Discounts
The majority of American auto insurers offer their customers discounts that can lower the insurance premium. Typical car insurance discounts include:
- Safe driving
- New customer
- Low mileage
- Safety features (e.g., air bags, car alarms)
- Military or veteran
- Good student
- Professional organization membership
- Bundling or combining auto insurance with other policies through the same insurer
Car insurance isn’t just for shiny new rides, it's for old jalopies too. Any vehicle that’s driven on the Florida roads needs to have the right coverage, per state regulations. Plus it’s a benefit to the car owner as well, since an accident can result in high repair bills and medical costs.
Miami, Florida Car Insurance Requirements
The state of Florida expects motorists to purchase the following minimum protections:
- Property damage liability (PDL): Minimum coverage of $10,000 for damage to another person’s property, whether you’re driving or another person is driving your vehicle.
- Personal injury protection (PIP): PIP covers 80% of all medical expenses resulting from a covered injury, up to the maximum coverage. PIP works no matter who caused the accident. It must cover a minimum of $10,000.
The Sunshine State has serious penalties for motorists who avoid buying the proper amount of vehicle insurance. If you get caught without the right coverage, you’ll face suspension of your driving privileges and license plates for up to 3 years. In addition, you’ll have to pay as much as $500 to reinstate your driver license/registration.
Other Auto Insurance Options for Floridians
Besides the state’s legally required liability insurance, you can buy other types of Miami car insurance for your vehicle like any of these:
- Bodily injury liability: Minimum coverage of $10,000 per person injured and a minimum of $20,000 total for all persons injured.
- Additional liability: You can opt for higher liability insurance benefit amounts, which will give you more protection. That way you don’t have to personally pay for damages you caused that exceed your basic policy amounts.
- Collision coverage: This insurance will pay for repair of your vehicle, or replacement of your vehicle if there’s a total loss.
- Comprehensive coverage: This insurance typically covers a list of specific risks that could harm your car, including theft, vandalism, fire, and other hazards. It’s best to read through the car insurance policy you have to know which dangers your insurance company will handle.
- Medical payments coverage: Should you suffer physical injuries in a car crash, this benefit will reimburse you for bills caused by medical treatment and/or hospitalization, subject to your policy limitations.
- Uninsured motorist coverage: Coverage in case your vehicle and/or you are harmed by an uninsured motorist.
Number of Uninsured Motorists in Florida
Uninsured motorist coverage is always a good thing to buy because you never know when an uninsured driver may “run into” you on the Miami roads. That’s why protection against uninsured motorists is important. Here are the stats:
- Florida uninsured motorists: 23.8%
- National uninsured motorists: 12.6%
If you have a crash with a driver who has no car insurance, your policy will have to cover the damage. Considering that the odds are nearly one in four that this unfortunate event will occur, it’s critical to carry the right insurance to protect yourself. Uninsured motorist coverage is worth buying, even though Florida law doesn’t mandate it.
Number of Auto Thefts in Miami, Florida
The rate for Miami car thefts is quite a bit lower than in other areas of the state or country.
- Miami, FL vehicle thefts per 1,000 vehicles: 5.26
- Florida vehicle thefts per 1,000 vehicles: 2.46
- National vehicle thefts per 1,000 vehicles: 2.94
No matter where you live, there are plenty of common-sense steps you can take to avoid having your vehicle stolen. It’s easy to keep your car locked and parked in a secure, well-lit area. You may also want to get anti-theft devices and GPS trackers for your vehicle. If your best efforts don’t help and a car thief still strikes, then you can rely on your comprehensive auto policy to replace the stolen car.
Find a Great Miami Car Insurance Policy
With all the options and requirements for car insurance, it can get confusing figuring out the best policy for your vehicle. You can make your insurance shopping a lot easier by talking to an independent insurance agent about your choices. Your agent will find the best quote for your budget and needs.
Contact an independent insurance agent to get your car insured and on the road today.
©2021, Consumer Agent Portal, LLC. All rights reserved.