If you are a vehicle owner in Delphi, you are required by Indiana state law to have car insurance. From fender benders on Washington Street to multicar collisions on US 421, a good auto insurance policy can prevent accidents from causing you large financial losses.
Finding the best and most affordable car insurance is easy when you work with a local independent agent. These agents can help you obtain and review customized car insurance quotes from several of the area’s top insurers. Contact an insurance agent near you to get started.
How Much Does Car Insurance Cost in Delphi, IN?
The good news is that the average cost of car insurance in Indiana is much lower than the national average rate. Comparing quotes from a few competing insurance companies lets you be sure you are getting your policy at a competitive price.
- National average annual car insurance cost: $1,311
- Indiana average annual car insurance cost: $1,033
Keep in mind that an average cost can only give you a general idea of what you will be expected to pay. Car insurance prices vary from one driver to the next because they are based on several factors like the following.
- The make, model, and year of the vehicle(s) you are insuring
- Your age, occupation, marital status, and driving record
- Details about the other licensed drivers in your household
- Whether you own or rent your home
- The amount of liability coverage you want to purchase
- The coverage options you want to include in your policy
- The size of your deductible
You can usually get rate reductions if you bundle your car insurance with other policies like homeowners insurance or renters insurance. Many insurance companies also offer other money-saving incentives like safe driver discounts and good student discounts.
What Are the Minimum Car Insurance Requirements for Vehicle Owners in Delphi, IN?
In Indiana, all car insurance policies must include liability insurance. The state also requires uninsured motorist insurance, but policyholders are permitted to opt out of this coverage if they do so in writing.
Liability insurance is designed to pay for other people’s damage and medical bills if you cause an accident. Uninsured motorist insurance ensures that you will receive compensation for your injuries and property damage if someone who causes an accident with you lacks suitable insurance coverage.
This is the minimum coverage your Delphi car insurance must have.
- Bodily injury liability insurance: $25,000 per person/$50,000 per accident
- Property damage liability insurance: $25,000 per accident
- Uninsured/underinsured motorist bodily injury insurance: $25,000 per person/$50,000 per accident
- Uninsured motorist property damage insurance: $25,000 per accident
If you cause an accident and the costs exceed your coverage limits, you will be expected to make up the difference out-of-pocket. That is why many drivers in Delphi purchase car insurance that has : This can pay to repair or replace your vehicle if is it damaged or totaled in a collision, regardless of fault.
- Comprehensive insurance: This can pay to repair or replace your vehicle if it is damaged or totaled due to a non-collision hazard like a garage fire or a hailstorm.
- Medical payments insurance: This can pay for your medical bills if you or your passengers are injured in a collision for which you are at fault.
- Roadside assistance and towing insurance: This can pay for assistance if your car becomes disabled while you are out on the road, such as if you run out of gas or get a flat tire.
- Gap insurance: This can make up the difference between what your car is worth and what you currently owe for it if it is totaled by a covered event.
- Umbrella insurance: This can boost your liability coverage to levels higher than what your car insurance can provide.
- Rental car reimbursement: This can pay for the cost of renting a vehicle while your car is being repaired following a covered event.
Many of of these coverage options may be good fit for you and your family.
Save on Car Insurance
Our independent agents shop around to find you the best coverage.
What Is the Penalty for Driving without Insurance in Delphi, IN?
Driving without insurance in Indiana is illegal. If caught doing so, you can face fines up to $1,000, the suspension of your driver’s license for up to one year, and higher car insurance rates. Despite this, about one out every six drivers on the roads in this state is in an uninsured vehicle.
- Percentage of US drivers who are uninsured: 13.0%
- Percentage of Indiana drivers who are uninsured: 16.7%
If you are involved in a collision that was caused by an uninsured driver, that person is responsible for compensating you for your medical costs and property damage. However, this money can be extremely difficult to collect, especially if the at-fault driver simply has no money or assets to go after.
Uninsured motorist insurance was created to solve this problem. It ensures that you can receive immediate compensation for your injuries and property damage without the need to take legal action.
After compensating you, your insurance company will attempt to collect the money owed from uninsured driver and will absorb the losses if they are unsuccessful.
Does Delphi Car Insurance Cover against Auto Theft?
The auto theft rate in the state of Indiana is the same as the national average. In Delphi, the rate is much lower. Residents of this city report an average of three vehicle thefts a year.
- National auto theft rate per 1,000 vehicles: 2.29
- Indiana auto theft rate per 1,000 vehicles: 2.29
- Delphi auto theft rate per 1,000 vehicles: 0.35
Although the risk of having your car stolen in this city is low, you should be aware that you can only get reimbursed for a stolen vehicle if your car insurance policy includes comprehensive (or “other than collision”) coverage.
Comprehensive insurance covers far more than just auto theft. It can also reimburse you for other non-collision damage to your vehicle, just as if it hit by an uprooted tree or is washed away in a flood.
If you are still paying for your car or have it on a lease, chances are good you already have this insurance. If not, you may want to look into how much it will cost to include comprehensive coverage in your Delphi car insurance policy.
Why Work with an Independent Insurance Agent in Delphi, IN?
If you are looking for the best car insurance policy to meet your coverage and budgetary needs, an independent agent can help. These agents work for you, not for a particular insurance company, so they are free to shop around to find you the coverage you need at a price you can afford.
Set up an obligation-free meeting with an insurance agent near you to get answers to all your insurance-related questions. You can start comparing customized car insurance quotes in no time.