Cumberland Business Insurance
Be sure to cover against each of your company's exposures, and independent agents can show you how.
Whether you own a business on Baltimore Street, a manufacturing plant in the Upper Potomac Industrial Park, or an independent contracting firm out of your home, having the right business insurance can help your Cumberland business stay profitable in times of trouble.
Independent insurance agents make shopping for coverage easy. These agents can do a complete risk assessment on your business and can recommend the best and most affordable policies to cover against each identified exposure. Contact an insurance agent near you get started.
How Much Does Business Insurance Cost in Cumberland, MD?
The cost of business insurance can vary a lot from one company to the next. This is because rates are calculated based on several considerations such as the following information.
- The type of business you own and how long it has been operating
- The size of your business and its expected annual revenues
- The number of people your business employs
- The value of your commercial property and assets
- Your business’s liability exposures
- Whether your business owns and operates vehicles
- The crime rate and weather risks where your business is located
The only way to find out how much coverage will cost for your business is by contacting a few competing insurance providers and requesting customized quotes. Or, at your request, an independent insurance agent can do this for you.
What Liability Insurance Products Are Available to Cumberland Businesses?
A liability lawsuit against your business can be very expensive. This holds true even if the courts ultimately rule in your favor.
Business liability insurance can protect your company from large financial losses by covering expenses like court costs, legal fees, mediation costs, settlements, and judgments if your business is sued for a covered event.
The following are some of the many available commercial liability products you may want to consider including in your business insurance policy package.
- Premises liability insurance: This covers third-party injuries and property damage that occurs due to accidents on your business premises.
- Product liability insurance: This covers third-party injuries, illnesses, and property damage caused by products your business produces or sells.
- Cyber liability insurance: This covers your financial obligations to affected individuals if criminals hack into your company’s computer system and access sensitive data like financial and personal details.
- Employment practices liability insurance: This covers against accusations of illegal employment practices such as discrimination, harassment, retaliation, and wrongful termination.
- Errors and omissions insurance: This covers individuals in professional positions against accusations of negligence, errors in judgment, and other professional mistakes if they have caused their clients to suffer financial losses, injures, or other harm and are sued.
You will want to be sure that your business insurance policy package includes the right products to cover against each of your company’s liability exposures.
What Insurance Products Cover Your Cumberland Business Property?
Commercial property insurance is a standard part of every business insurance policy. It is designed to cover repair or replacement costs if your business-owned property is lost or damaged due to a covered event.
Here are examples of some of the hazards that are covered by commercial property insurance.
- Accidental fires and explosions
- Theft, vandalism, and other property crimes
- Severe weather events such as:
- Heavy snows and blizzards
- Ice storms
Depending on the type of business you have, how it operates, and where it is located, it may be necessary for you to purchase supplemental insurance products in order to be fully covered. Policies to consider include the following.
- Flood insurance: Commercial property insurance does not cover flood damage. If your business is at risk, you can purchase an affordable flood insurance policy through the National Flood Insurance Program (NFIP), a program that is administered by FEMA.
- Inland marine insurance: This covers you’re your company’s portable property whenever it is being transported over land or is being kept in a location other than your business premises, like at a job site or in a temporary storage facility.
- Bailee’s insurance: This covers your customers’ valuable property whenever it is in your business’s care, custody, or control. This is an ideal product if your company performs maintenance, alteration, or repair services on your customer’s expensive items.
- Equipment breakdown insurance: This covers the cost of repairing or replacing your company’s well-maintained, essential machinery and equipment if it breaks down or malfunctions. In some cases, it can also cover any revenue losses associated with the breakdown.
You will want to be certain that all of your business property is suitably covered by the right insurance products.
Save on Business Insurance
Our independent agents shop around to find you the best coverage.
How Can Business Interruption Insurance Help Companies in Cumberland, MD?
The tornado risk in Cumberland is actually rather low, but it still exists. For instance, two decades ago, an F4 twister touched down just 3.8 miles from the Cumberland city center and caused around $6 million in property damage.
A major disaster like a tornado, explosion, or structure fire can do more than just damage your commercial property. It can also force your business to shut down for several weeks while repairs are made.
If your company must close for an extended time because of excessive damage caused by a covered event, business interruption insurance can help. This coverage can provide your business with a continuation of income until it is able to resume normal operations.
With this insurance, you will have the funds necessary to continue paying regular monthly expenses like rent, bills, loan installments, taxes, and payroll even though your business is temporarily unable to generate revenue.
What Is Workers’ Compensation Insurance and Is It Required in Cumberland?
Workers’ compensation insurance is designed to cover medical treatments, lost wages, and associated expenses if your employees are injured on the job or if they develop an occupational illness due to exposure to toxins at the workplace.
This insurance provides your workers with a safety net so that a work-related injury or illness will not cause them grievous financial harm. It has the added benefit of shielding your business against potential liability lawsuits related to these injuries.
With very few exceptions, all employers in Maryland are required to carry workers’ compensation insurance. If you are a sole proprietor, you do not need to cover yourself, but you can if you want to.
What about Insurance Products for Employee Benefits Packages?
If you want to recruit and retain some of the area’s best employees, you can give your company a competitive edge by offering an attractive employee benefits package. A good benefits package will typically include perks like the following.
- Paid vacation and personal days
- Paid sick days
- A retirement plan
- Life insurance options
- Health insurance options
Choosing a good health insurance policy for your employees can be difficult. These policies can be PPOs, HMOs, or managed care plans and can include several different options such as varying prescription plans, copays, deductibles, and coverage networks.
That is why many business owners in Cumberland find it beneficial to consult an experienced insurance professional when they are searching for ideal health and life insurance policies for their employee benefits package.
Why Work with a Local Independent Insurance Agent?
Local independent agents can help you identify all the potential risks your company may face and can recommend the right kinds of insurance policies to cover against each of them.
Unlike captive agents, independent agents are free to work with a variety of insurance providers as they search for the coverage you need at the most competitive price.
Arrange an obligation-free consultation with an independent insurance agent near you to learn more. You will soon discover how easy it can be to obtain and compare customized business insurance quotes.
TrustedChoice.com Article | Reviewed by Jeffrey Green
©2023, Consumer Agent Portal, LLC. All rights reserved.