If you own a vehicle in Lawrence, you are required by Massachusetts state law to have car insurance. From fender benders on Broadway to multi-car pileups on Interstate 495, a reliable auto insurance policy can shield you from large financial losses in the wake of a collision.
Finding the best car insurance is easy when you work with a local independent insurance agent. These agents can provide you with a variety of customized auto insurance quotes so you can be sure you're purchasing great coverage at a competitive price.
Find an insurance agent in or near Lawrence to get started.
How Much Does Car Insurance Cost in Lawrence, MA?
The average cost of car insurance in Massachusetts is higher than the national rate, and in Lawrence, rates tend to be even higher. Shopping around for the best rates has the potential to save you hundreds of dollars a year.
- National average annual car insurance cost: $1,311
- Massachusetts average annual car insurance cost: $1,460
- Lawrence, MA average annual car insurance cost: $1,500
Of course, rates can vary significantly from one driver to the next, so you can expect your actual quoted rates to differ from the city’s average. Car insurance costs are calculated individually according to several considerations. Some things that can influence your rate include:
- The make, model, trim, and year of your the vehicle you are insuring
- Your age, occupation, driving history, and credit score
- The estimated number of miles you drive your car each year
- The accident and auto theft rates in the vicinity of your home
- The amount of coverage you are purchasing
- Whether you are including any offered coverage options
- Whether you are bundling your coverage with another policy like home insurance or renters insurance
When it comes to car insurance, experience matters. You can expect a senior at Lawrence High School to be charged much higher rates than a 45-year-old research scientist who has a clean driving record.
Comparing rates lets you be sure you get your policy at a competitive price. An independent insurance agent in Lawrence can help you easily obtain and review customized car insurance quotes from a variety of reliable insurance companies.
What Are the Car Insurance Requirements in Lawrence?
As a vehicle owner in Lawrence, you must be in compliance with Massachusetts state law when it comes to car insurance. Massachusetts is a no-fault state, meaning that your car insurance company will cover the cost of your injuries in an accident up to a certain point, regardless of fault.
Liability insurance is designed to cover damage and injuries sustained by other people if you cause an accident while PIP insurance is designed to cover your own injuries sustained in a collision, regardless of fault. Uninsured motorist insurance covers you if you are in a collision with an uninsured, underinsured, or hit-and-run driver.
Your car insurance policy must have, at a minimum, the following amounts of coverage:
- bodily injury liability insurance: $20,000 per person/$40,000 per accident
- property damage liability insurance: $5,000 per accident
- uninsured motorist insurance: $20,000 per person/$40,000 per accident
- personal injury protection (PIP) insurance: $8,000 per accident
Although a minimum-coverage policy may be your least expensive option, it's not always the best choice. If you cause a serious crash and your insurance limits are too low to cover your liabilities, you'll be expected to make up the difference out of pocket.
That 's why many Lawrence vehicle owners purchase car insurance with much higher liability insurance limits than the state of Massachusetts requires. You can further boost your liability coverage by purchasing umbrella insurance.
Talk to your local insurance agent to find out how much it will cost you to obtain different levels of coverage.
What Else Can Lawrence Car Insurance Cover?
In addition to the coverage that is required by state law, most insurance companies will give you the option of including any or all of the following coverage options in your car insurance policy:
- Comprehensive insurance: This can pay to repair or replace your vehicle if it is damaged by a non-collision event such as a flood, fire, or falling object. (This may be required by your lender if you are still paying for your vehicle, or by the dealership if you are leasing it.)
- Collision insurance: This can pay to repair or replace your vehicle if it is damaged in a collision, regardless of fault. (This may be required by your lender if you are still paying for your vehicle, or by the dealership if you are leasing it.)
- Gap insurance: This can bridge the gap between what you currently owe for your vehicle and what your vehicle is worth if it's totaled. This coverage can be particularly beneficial if you own a rapidly depreciating new car.
- Towing and roadside assistance insurance: This can pay for assistance if your vehicle becomes disabled while you are out on the road.
- Rental reimbursement insurance: This can pay for the cost of renting a vehicle while repairs are being made to your car following a covered event.
Talk to an insurance agent in Lawrence to learn more about these coverage options and to get help determining which, if any, are a good fit for you.
What Is the Penalty for Driving without Insurance in Massachusetts?
Driving without insurance in Massachusetts is illegal. If you are caught, you will be charged with a civil motor vehicle infraction (CMVI), which comes with some harsh penalties.
You can find yourself facing:
- A fine ranging from $500 to $5,000
- Up to one year in jail
- The loss of your driver’s license for 60 days to one year
- A fee of $500 to be paid to the state’s assigned risk plan (MAIP)
In other words, driving without insurance is just not worth the risk.
Are There Many Uninsured Motorists in Massachusetts?
Given the tough penalties in this state, it's not surprising that the percentage of uninsured drivers in Massachusetts is significantly lower than the national average. Let’s look at some numbers.
- Percentage of US drivers who are uninsured: 12.6%
- Percentage of Massachusetts drivers who are uninsured: 6.2%
Of course, this still means that some of the drivers with whom you're sharing the roads are uninsured. Having uninsured motorist coverage in your car insurance policy can prove beneficial if you are in an accident caused by an uninsured, underinsured, or hit-and-run driver.
Rather than going through the courts to get the compensation owed to you by the at-fault driver, you can immediately receive compensation for your damage and any medical costs that are not covered by PIP. Your insurance company will then take on the task of pursuing legal action against the uninsured or underinsured driver who hit you.
Does Lawrence Car Insurance Cover against Vehicle Thefts?
The auto theft rate in Lawrence is currently higher than the state average, but lower than the national rate.
- National auto theft rate per 1,000 vehicles: 2.94
- Massachusetts auto theft rate per 1,000 vehicles: 1.18
- Lawrence, MA auto theft rate per 1,000 vehicles: 2.75
This relatively low theft rate was not always the case. Rates of auto theft have been steadily declining over the last few years in Lawrence. While there were 1,026 vehicle thefts reported in this city in 2008, that number had dropped to 222 by 2018.
You should be aware that you can't be compensated for a stolen car unless your auto insurance policy includes comprehensive, or “other than collision,” insurance.
Comprehensive insurance covers against far more than just theft. It can also reimburse you for loss and damage to your car due to a variety of other non-collision hazards. Talk to your insurance agent to find out how much it will cost you to add comprehensive coverage to your car insurance policy.
Why Contact an Independent Insurance Agent in Lawrence, MA?
As a vehicle owner in Lawrence, you can turn to an independent agent for help when you're looking for a reliable auto insurance policy that meets your coverage and budgetary needs. These insurance professionals are free to work with a number of different providers, so they can assist you with finding the best and most affordable policy.
Find an independent insurance agent in or near Lawrence to learn more. You can start comparing customized car insurance quotes in no time.
©2021, Consumer Agent Portal, LLC. All rights reserved.