If you own a vehicle in Lexington, you are required state law to carry car insurance. From fender benders on Massachusetts Avenue to multi-car collisions on Interstate 95, a reliable auto insurance policy can shield you from large accident-related financial losses.
Finding the best car insurance is easy when you work with a local independent agent. These agents can provide you with a variety of customized auto insurance quotes so you can be sure you are purchasing a great coverage at a competitive price.
Consult an insurance agent in Lexington to learn more.
How Much Does Car Insurance Cost in Lexington, MA?
The average cost of car insurance in Massachusetts is higher than the national rate. Shopping around for the best rates has the potential to save you hundreds of dollars a year.
- National average annual car insurance cost: $1,311
- Massachusetts average annual car insurance cost: $1,460
Of course, rates can vary significantly from one driver to the next, so you can expect your actual quote rates to differ from the state’s average. Car insurance costs are calculated individually according to several considerations. Some things that can influence your rate include:
- The make, model, trim, and year of your each vehicle you are insuring
- Your age, occupation, driving history, and credit score
- The estimated number of miles you drive your car each year
- The accident and auto theft rates in the vicinity of your home
- The amount of coverage you are purchasing
- Whether you are including any offered coverage options
- Whether you are bundling your coverage with another policy like home insurance or renters insurance
When it comes to car insurance, experience matters. You can expect a recent graduate of Minuteman Regional High School to be charged much higher rates than a 40-year-old accountant with a clean driving record.
Comparing a number of quotes lets you be sure you get your policy at a competitive price. An independent insurance agent in Lexington can help you easily obtain and review customized car insurance quotes from a variety of reliable insurance companies.
What Are the Car Insurance Requirements in Lexington?
Liability insurance is designed to cover damage and injuries sustained by other people if you cause an accident. PIP insurance is designed to cover injuries sustained in a collision, regardless of fault. Uninsured motorist insurance provides coverage if an accident is caused by an uninsured, underinsured, or hit-and-run driver.
Your car insurance policy must have, at a minimum, the following amounts of coverage:
- Bodily injury liability insurance: $20,000 per person/$40,000 per accident
- Property damage liability insurance: $5,000 per accident
- Uninsured motorist insurance: $20,000 per person/$40,000 per accident
- Personal injury protection (PIP) insurance: $8,000 per accident
Although a minimum-coverage policy may be your least expensive option, it's not always the best choice. If you cause a serious crash and your insurance limits are too low to cover your liabilities, you will be expected to make up the difference out of pocket.
That is why many Lexington vehicle owners purchase car insurance with much higher liability insurance limits than the state of Massachusetts requires. You can further boost your liability coverage by purchasing umbrella insurance. Talk to your local insurance agent to learn more.
What Else Can Lexington Car Insurance Cover?
In addition to the coverage that is required by state law, car insurance companies will give you the option of including any or all of the following coverage options in your car insurance policy:
- Comprehensive insurance: This can pay to repair or replace your vehicle if it is damaged by a non-collision event such as a flood, fire, or falling object. (This may be required by your lender if you are still paying for your vehicle, or by the dealership if you are leasing it.)
- Collision insurance: This can pay to repair or replace your vehicle if it is damaged in a collision, regardless of fault. (This may be required by your lender if you are still paying for your vehicle, or by the dealership if you are leasing it.)
- Gap insurance: This can bridge the gap between what you currently owe for your vehicle and what your vehicle is worth if the vehicle is totaled. This coverage can be particularly beneficial if you own a rapidly depreciating new car.
- Towing and roadside assistance insurance: This can pay for assistance if your vehicle becomes disabled while you are out on the road.
- Rental reimbursement insurance: This can pay for the cost of renting a vehicle while repairs are being made to your car following a covered event.
Talk to an insurance agent in Lexington to learn more about these coverage options and for help determining which, if any, are a good fit for you.
What Is the Penalty for Driving without Insurance in Lexington, MA?
Driving without insurance in Massachusetts is illegal. If you are caught, you will be charged with a civil motor vehicle infraction (CMVI), and this comes with some harsh penalties:
- A fine ranging from $500 to $5,000
- Up to one year in jail
- The loss of your driver’s license for 60 days to one year
- A fee of $500 to be paid to the state’s assigned risk plan (MAIP)
Given the tough penalties in this state, it's not surprising that the percentage of uninsured drivers in Massachusetts is significantly lower than the national average. Let’s look at some numbers.
- Percentage of US drivers who are uninsured: 12.6%
- Percentage of Massachusetts drivers who are uninsured: 6.2%
Of course, this still means that some of the drivers with whom you are sharing the roads are uninsured. Because you're required to have uninsured motorist coverage in your car insurance policy, you are protected if you are in an accident caused by an uninsured, underinsured, or hit-and-run driver.
Rather than going through the courts to get the compensation owed to you by the at-fault driver, uninsured motorist insure ensures that you can immediately receive compensation for your damage and any medical costs that aren't covered by PIP.
Your insurance company will then take on the task of pursuing legal action against the uninsured or underinsured driver who hit you.
Does Lexington Car Insurance Cover against Vehicle Thefts?
The auto theft rate in Massachusetts is lower than the national rate, and in Lexington, the risk is even lower. This city sees an average of about two auto thefts a year.
- National auto theft rate per 1,000 vehicles: 2.94
- Massachusetts auto theft rate per 1,000 vehicles: 1.18
- Lexington, MA auto theft rate per 1,000 vehicles: 0.29
Even though the risk here is low, you should be aware that you cannot be compensated for a stolen car unless your auto insurance policy includes comprehensive, or “other than collision,” insurance.
Comprehensive insurance covers against far more than just theft. It can also reimburse you for loss and damage to your car due to a variety of other non-collision hazards. Talk to your insurance agent to find out how much it will cost you to add comprehensive coverage to your car insurance policy.
Why Contact an Independent Insurance Agent in Lexington, MA?
You can turn to an independent agent for help when you are looking for an auto insurance policy that meets your coverage and budgetary needs. These insurance professionals are free to work with a number of different providers, so they can shop around to find you the best policy.
Contact an independent insurance agent in or near Lexington to learn more. You can start comparing customized car insurance quotes in no time.
©2021, Consumer Agent Portal, LLC. All rights reserved.