If you own a vehicle in Marshfield, you are required by Massachusetts state law to have car insurance. From fender benders on Main Street to major collisions on Pilgrims Highway, a reliable auto insurance policy can shield you from large financial losses following an accident.
Finding the best car insurance is easy when you work with a local independent agent. These agents can provide you with a variety of customized auto insurance quotes so you can be sure you are purchasing great coverage at a competitive price. Find an insurance agent in or near Marshfield to get started.
How Much Does Car Insurance Cost in Marshfield, MA?
The average cost of car insurance in Massachusetts is higher than the national rate. This makes shopping around for the best rates even more beneficial, since it has the potential to save you hundreds of dollars a year.
- National average annual car insurance cost: $1,311
- Massachusetts average annual car insurance cost: $1,460
Of course, rates can vary significantly from one driver to the next, so you can expect your actual quoted rates to differ from the city’s average. Car insurance costs are calculated individually according to several considerations. Some things that can influence your rate include:
- The make, model, trim, and year of your any vehicles you are insuring
- Your age, occupation, driving history, and credit score
- The estimated number of miles you drive your car each year
- The accident and auto theft rates in the vicinity of your home
- The amount of coverage you are purchasing
- Whether you are including any offered coverage options
- Whether you are bundling your coverage with another policy like home insurance or renters insurance
When it comes to car insurance, experience matters. You can expect a senior at Marshfield High School to be charged much higher rates than a 50-year-old stay-at-home-mom with a clean driving record.
Comparing rates lets you be sure you're getting your policy at a competitive price. An independent insurance agent in Marshfield can help you easily obtain and review customized car insurance quotes from a variety of reliable insurance companies.
What Are the Car Insurance Requirements in Marshfield?
As a vehicle owner in Marshfield, you must be compliant with Massachusetts state laws regarding car insurance. This is a no-fault state, meaning that your car insurance company will cover the cost of your injuries in an accident up to a certain point, regardless of fault.
Liability insurance is designed to cover damage and injuries sustained by other people if you cause an accident. PIP insurance is designed to cover your own injuries sustained in a collision, regardless of fault.
Your car insurance policy must include, at a minimum, the following amounts of coverage:
- Bodily injury liability insurance: $20,000 per person/$40,000 per accident
- Property damage liability insurance: $5,000 per accident
- Uninsured motorist insurance: $20,000 per person/$40,000 per accident
- Personal injury protection (PIP) insurance: $8,000 per accident
Many residents of Marshfield have a lot to lose, so they opt to purchase car insurance with much higher liability insurance limits than the state requires. You can further boost your liability coverage by purchasing umbrella insurance.
Talk to your local insurance agent to find out how much it will cost you to obtain different levels of liability coverage.
What Else Can Marshfield Car Insurance Cover?
In addition to the coverage that is required by state law, most insurance companies will give you the option of including any or all of the following coverage options in your car insurance policy:
- Comprehensive insurance: This can pay to repair or replace your vehicle if it is damaged by a non-collision event such as a flood, fire, or falling object. (This may be required by your lender if you are still paying for your vehicle, or by the dealership if you are leasing it.)
- Collision insurance: This can pay to repair or replace your vehicle if it is damaged in a collision, regardless of fault. (This may be required by your lender if you are still paying for your vehicle, or by the dealership if you are leasing it.)
- Gap insurance: This can bridge the gap between what you currently owe for your vehicle and what your vehicle is worth if the vehicle is totaled. This coverage can be particularly beneficial if you own a rapidly depreciating new car.
- Towing and roadside assistance insurance: This can pay for assistance if your vehicle becomes disabled while you are out on the road.
- Rental reimbursement insurance: This can pay for the cost of renting a vehicle while repairs are being made to your car following a covered event.
Talk to an insurance agent in Marshfield to learn more about these coverage options for help determining which, if any, are a good fit for you.
Save on Car Insurance
Our independent agents shop around to find you the best coverage.
What Is the Penalty for Driving without Insurance in Massachusetts?
Driving without insurance in Massachusetts is illegal. If you are caught, you will be charged with a civil motor vehicle infraction (CMVI), which comes with some harsh penalties.
You can find yourself facing:
- A fine ranging from $500 to $5,000
- Up to one year in jail
- The loss of your driver’s license for 60 days to one year
- A fee of $500 to be paid to the state’s assigned risk plan (MAIP)
In other words, driving without insurance is just not worth the risk.
Are There Many Uninsured Motorists in Massachusetts?
Given the tough penalties in this state, it's not surprising that the percentage of uninsured drivers in Massachusetts is significantly lower than the national average. Let’s look at some numbers.
- Percentage of US drivers who are uninsured: 12.6%
- Percentage of Massachusetts drivers who are uninsured: 6.2%
Of course, this still means that some of the drivers with whom you are sharing the roads are uninsured. Because uninsured motorist coverage is required, you don’t need to worry about coverage if you are in an accident caused by an uninsured, underinsured, or hit-and-run driver.
Rather than going through the courts to get the compensation owed to you, you can immediately receive compensation for any of your medical costs that aren't covered by PIP. Your insurance company will then take on the task of pursuing legal action against the at-fault driver.
Does Marshfield Car Insurance Cover against Vehicle Thefts?
The auto theft rate in Massachusetts is lower than the national average. And in Marshfield, the risk is even lower. Residents of this city report about 3 auto thefts a year.
- National auto theft rate per 1,000 vehicles: 2.94
- Massachusetts auto theft rate per 1,000 vehicles: 1.18
- Marshfield, MA auto theft rate per 1,000 vehicles: 0.12
Despite the low theft rate, you should be aware that you cannot be compensated for a stolen car unless your auto insurance policy includes comprehensive, or “other than collision,” insurance.
Comprehensive insurance covers against far more than just theft. It can also reimburse you for loss and damage to your car due to a variety of other non-collision hazards. Talk to your insurance agent to find out how much it will cost you to add comprehensive coverage to your car insurance policy.
Why Contact an Independent Insurance Agent in Marshfield, MA?
Vehicle owners in Marshfield can ask an independent agent for help when they are looking for a reliable auto insurance policy that meets their coverage and budgetary needs. These agents are free to work with several insurance providers, so they can shop around for the best and most affordable policy.
Find an independent insurance agent in or near Marshfield to learn more. You can start comparing customized car insurance quotes in no time.