Accidents can happen to anyone. That's why vehicle owners in Somerville are required by law to carry car insurance. From collisions on the Northern Expressway to fender benders on Elm Street, a reliable auto insurance policy can shield you from facing large, accident-related expenses.
Independent insurance agents in Somerville make finding the best car insurance easy. These agents can provide you with a selection of customized auto insurance quotes so you can be sure you're getting a great policy at a competitive price. Contact an insurance agent near you to learn more.
How Much Does Car Insurance Cost in Somerville, MA?
The average cost of car insurance in Massachusetts is higher than the national average. This makes taking the time to request and compare competing rates all the more beneficial. Comparison shopping has the potential to save you hundreds of dollars a year.
- National average annual car insurance cost: $1,311
- Massachusetts average annual car insurance cost: $1,460
Of course, car insurance rates can vary significantly from one driver to the next, so these figures only offer a ballpark idea of what your actual costs might be. Insurance companies will base your rates on a number of different factors such as:
- The make, model, and year of the vehicles you are insuring
- Your age, occupation, driving record, claims history, and credit score
- Whether you own or rent your home
- The approximate number of miles you drive each year
- Which, if any, coverage options you include in your policy
- How much coverage you are purchasing and the amount of your deductible
- The accident and auto theft rates in the vicinity of your home
You are likely to get much lower rates if you have a long, safe driving record. You can also get policy discounts if you bundle your coverage with another policy like home insurance or renters insurance.
Independent insurance agents can make sure that you get any discounts you are entitled to and that the policy you purchase is offered at a competitive price.
What Are the Minimum Car Insurance Requirements in Massachusetts?
If you are responsible for a car accident, you are responsible for medical expenses and property damage losses you cause to others. Liability insurance is designed to cover these costs.
Massachusetts is a no-fault state, so the other driver’s personal injury protection (PIP) insurance will cover their medical bills up to a certain amount before your responsibilities kick in. Uninsured motorist insurance can cover your medical bills if you are in a collision caused by an uninsured, underinsured, or hit-and-run driver.
In Massachusetts, your car insurance must include, at a minimum, the following:
- bodily injury liability insurance: $20,000 per person/$40,000 per accident
- property damage liability insurance: $5,000 per accident
- uninsured motorist insurance: $20,000 per person/$40,000 per accident
- personal injury protection (PIP) insurance: $8,000 per accident
If you cause an accident and your liability coverage is not high enough to fully cover your financial responsibilities, you will be expected to make up the difference out of pocket. That's why many Somerville residents opt to purchase higher liability limits than the state requires.
If you want to have even more liability coverage than your Somerville car insurance policy will allow, you can also purchase umbrella insurance. This is an affordable way to significantly increase all of your liability coverage. Talk to a local insurance agent to learn more.
What Else Can Somerville Car insurance Cover?
In addition to the minimum liability coverage requirements, you can purchase optional insurance coverage including:
- Collision insurance: This pays for the cost to repair collision-related damage to your vehicle, regardless of fault. This may be required by your lender if you are still paying for your car or by the dealership if you have the vehicle on a lease.
- Comprehensive insurance: This covers the cost to repair non-collision damage to your vehicle. This may be required by your lender if you are still paying for your car or by the dealership if you have the vehicle on a lease.
- Towing and roadside assistance insurance: This can pay for the costs associated with receiving assistance if your vehicle breaks down while you are out on the road.
- Rental car reimbursement insurance: This can pay for you to get a rental car while your car is in the garage being repaired following a covered event.
Talk to your local insurance agent to learn more about your various coverage options and to find out how much each will cost to add to your policy.
Save on Car Insurance
Our independent agents shop around to find you the best coverage.
What Is the Penalty for Driving without Insurance in Somerville?
If you are caught driving without insurance in Massachusetts, you will be charged with a civil motor vehicle infraction (CMVI). This comes with some harsh penalties. You could find yourself facing:
- Fines ranging from $500 to $5,000
- The loss of your driver’s license for up to one year
- A fee of $500 to be paid to the state’s assigned risk plan (MAIP)
- Incarceration for up to one year
In other words, driving without insurance is just not worth the risk. Despite this, about 6.2% of all drivers in this state are uninsured. This is about half the national average.
Does Somerville Car Insurance Cover Auto Thefts?
The good news is that the auto theft rate in Somerville is lower than the national rate. However, residents of this city report about 100 auto thefts a year.
- National auto theft rate per 1,000 vehicles: 2.94
- Massachusetts auto theft rate per 1,000 vehicles: 1.18
- Somerville auto theft rate per 1,000 vehicles: 1.34
Be aware that your car insurance won't cover you against auto theft unless comprehensive coverage is included in your policy.
Comprehensive insurance covers far more than just vehicle theft. It can also cover other non-collision damage such as that caused by hazards like floods, fallen trees, garage fires, and vandalism.
Talk to an independent insurance agent near you to learn how much it will cost you to include this optional coverage in your auto insurance policy.
Why Work with an Independent Insurance Agent in Somerville, MA?
As a vehicle owner in Somerville, you can turn to a local independent insurance agent for help when you are looking for a car insurance policy that meets your coverage and budgetary needs.
These agents are free to work with several different insurance companies so they can obtain a variety of customized car insurance quotes that you can review together. Contact an insurance agent with an office in Somerville to get started.
©2021, Consumer Agent Portal, LLC. All rights reserved.