Biloxi is a popular tourist destination because of its coastal location and prevalence of waterfront casinos, concerts, restaurants, and resorts. It’s easy to find commercial vehicles on the busy roadways of this bustling town. If your Biloxi business uses vehicles as part of your company’s normal business operations, you will want to be sure that those vehicles are properly insured. A local independent insurance agent can help you find competitively priced commercial auto insurance that is compliant with state and federal laws.
Why Is Commercial Auto Insurance So Important?
Different vehicles are used for different purposes, and for this reason they automatically face different exposures to risks on the road. Commercial vehicles, and heavy trucks in particular, presumably travel more miles than the average personal vehicle and are therefore more likely to be involved in a crash. If one of your business-owned vehicles causes a collision, it’s very likely that you will be sued for damages. What’s more, property damage (your damaged or totaled vehicle) and loss of income (the vehicle is out of service) will place an even greater burden on your business.
Any business that owns vehicles needs commercial auto insurance to protect itself from the large financial losses that can result after accidents involving their vehicles. And you might even need coverage if you or your employees occasionally drive personal vehicles for business purposes. Commercial motor vehicles (CMVs), such as large trucks, passenger vehicles, small package delivery vehicles, pick-up trucks with trailers attached, box trucks, and more, are frequently involved in accidents in Mississippi and across the US. Passenger vehicles involved in crashes with CMVs are highly vulnerable to damage, injuries, and fatalities.
CMV-Related Fatalities recently in the US:
- There were 37,461 fatalities on America’s roadways in 34,439 motor vehicle accidents.
- There were 4,564 fatalities in 4,079 crashes involving large trucks or buses.
- Large truck occupants were 16% of all large truck and bus fatalities.
- While CMVs accounted for only 4% of the registered vehicles on the roads, they accounted for 9% of motor vehicle crash deaths
Mississippi CMV Crash Statistics:
- Two-thirds of all Mississippi CMV crashes occur on a rural road, while one-third occur on the Interstate
- One-third of all Mississippi fatal crashes involving CMVs occur at night
How Much Does Commercial Auto Insurance Cost in Biloxi, MS?
The cost to cover business-owned vehicles can vary greatly from one company to the next. This is because insurance rates are based on your unique fleet of vehicles and risk exposures. A company with a fleet of trucks will pay more than a small business with a few cars that are used for sales calls or deliveries. The amount of coverage you need also affects what you pay for commercial auto insurance in Biloxi. And you may not need the same coverage for every vehicle. Be prepared to provide the following information in order to obtain a quote for commercial vehicle insurance:
- The number of vehicles your business needs to insure
- The types of vehicles you are insuring (e.g., car, truck, van, etc.)
- The year, make, model, and safety features of each vehicle on your policy
- Each vehicle’s passenger capacity if they will be used to transport people
- Whether your vehicles will be used to transport hazardous materials
- Whether the vehicles will be used locally or for interstate commerce
- Information about the employees who will be driving the vehicles
- The amount of coverage you wish to include in your policy
Often, commercial vehicle insurance companies will offer discounts to policyholders who provide routine safety training and materials to their drivers and manage a fleet of well-maintained vehicles. If you are worried about the cost of your commercial auto insurance, making safety a top priority is a great way to help control costs.
How Much Commercial Auto Insurance Does My Business Need?
All Mississippi vehicle owners need to have a minimum amount of liability insurance in order to comply with state law.
- Minimum liability insurance limits: 25/50/10; coverage up to $50,000 for all persons injured in an accident, subject to a limit of $25,000 for one individual; and $10,000 coverage for property damage
Trucks over 10,000 pounds must comply with additional state and federal regulations, including additional liability insurance requirements. The amount of liability insurance required for trucks depends on the type of freight you transport and where you transport it. Truck owners who participate in interstate commerce (travel across state lines) must meet all federal insurance requirements.
Most small business owners don’t have to worry about federal regulations for their business-owned sedans, vans, or pickup trucks. In these cases, Mississippi commercial auto insurance requirements are the same as for personal vehicles. Your independent insurance agent can help you purchase commercial auto insurance that meets all applicable state and federal regulations.
What Does Commercial Auto Insurance Cover?
All commercial vehicle insurance policies in Biloxi will include the specific coverage required by law, at a minimum. Insurance companies also offer several types of optional coverage. You can choose the options that are most necessary for your needs.
- Collision coverage: Covers damage to your vehicle sustained in a collision, regardless of who was at fault.
- Comprehensive coverage: Covers the cost to repair damage to your vehicle due to non-collision events such as fires and property crimes.
- Uninsured motorist coverage: Covers your employee’s medical expenses and your vehicle’s damage following an accident caused by an uninsured or underinsured driver.
- Towing and roadside assistance: Covers the cost of a service call if your company vehicle becomes disabled while it is out on the road.
- Non-owned or hired auto liability insurance: Provides liability coverage for non-owned vehicles being used for business purposes, such as when you rent or lease a vehicle or when you or an employee use a personal vehicle for business purposes.
A local independent insurance agent can help you decide which coverage options are best for your unique fleet of commercial vehicles.
Why Work with an Independent Insurance Agent?
Your commercial vehicle insurance should meet the specific needs of your business. A local independent insurance agent can answer your insurance-related questions and offer advice and guidance when you are building a suitable policy and shopping around for the best rates.
Contact an independent agent in Biloxi to start comparing quotes from multiple insurance companies.
©2021, Consumer Agent Portal, LLC. All rights reserved.