From fender benders on Eastern Boulevard to multi-car collisions on the All American Freeway, accidents can happen anytime, anywhere and to anyone —even to the most experienced drivers. Fortunately, a dependable auto insurance policy can shield Fayetteville drivers from the expensive costs associated with vehicle collisions. An independent insurance agent with an office in or near Fayetteville can help you find the best and most affordable car insurance policy to meet your coverage needs.
North Carolina Auto Insurance Requirements
In North Carolina vehicle owners must carry car insurance that meets or exceeds the following requirements:
- Bodily injury liability: Required
- Property damage liability: Required
- Personal injury protection (PIP): Not required
- Uninsured motorist coverage: Required
- Minimum liability limits: 30/60/25; coverage up to $60,000 for all persons injured in an accident, subject to a limit of $30,000 for one individual; and $25,000 coverage for property damage.
While this may seem like a lot of coverage, if you only have a basic minimum-coverage policy, you may find you do not have enough insurance to handle the cost of a serious collision. If the expenses for which you are responsible exceed your coverage limits, you will need to make up the difference out of pocket. That is why many Fayetteville drivers choose to purchase liability coverage in amounts that are higher than the state requires. Those who want even more liability coverage than their car insurance will allow can get it by purchasing umbrella insurance. An independent agent can help determine how much liability coverage you can reasonably afford.
How Much Does Car Insurance Cost in Fayetteville, NC?
North Carolina is the 44th most expensive state for auto insurance. The average cost of car insurance in this state is lower than the national average; but in Fayetteville, the average rate is much higher. This makes shopping around for the best rate especially important.
- National average annual car insurance cost: $1,311
- North Carolina average annual car insurance cost: $986
- Fayetteville average cost per year: $1,824
Every insurance company you contact will provide you with a different quote because costs are calculated individually according to a number of factors such as:
- The make, model, and year of the vehicle(s) you are insuring
- Your age, gender, occupation, driving record, and credit score
- The amount of your deductible, and how much liability insurance you are purchasing
- Whether you own or rent your home
- The auto theft and accident rates in the vicinity of your home
- Whether you are bundling your auto insurance with other policies like homeowners insurance or renters insurance
Independent agents in Fayetteville make comparison shopping easy by obtaining a selection of customized car insurance quotes on your behalf.
Number of Uninsured Motorists in North Carolina
Driving without insurance in North Carolina is illegal, but nearly one in ten motorists on the roads in this state are uninsured. If caught operating an uninsured vehicle, these drivers can be fined, have their plates and registration suspended, and face probation or jail time.
- How many US drivers are uninsured? 13%.
- How many North Carolina drivers are uninsured? 6.5%.
If you are in an accident that is caused by an uninsured driver, that person is required to pay for your resultant damage and injuries. Unfortunately, collecting the money owed to you can be extremely time-consuming and difficult unless you have uninsured motorist insurance. Although it is optional in many states, uninsured motorist insurance is required in the state of North Carolina. This insurance provides the coverage you need if you are in a collision with an uninsured, underinsured, or hit-and-run driver. Your insurance company will absorb the costs if they cannot collect reimbursement from the at-fault driver.
Number of Auto Thefts in Fayetteville, NC
While the auto theft rate in North Carolina is lower than the national rate, in Fayetteville it is much higher. There are about 800 vehicles stolen in this city each year.
- National auto theft rate per 1,000 vehicles: 2.28
- North Carolina auto theft rate per 1,000 vehicles: 1.69
- Fayetteville number of auto thefts per 1,000 vehicles: 4.38
Be aware that you must have comprehensive insurance included in your auto insurance policy in order to be reimbursed for your loss following an auto theft. Comprehensive insurance is often required by lenders until your car is paid in full, but once the vehicle is paid off, this coverage becomes optional. Also referred to as “other than collision” coverage, comprehensive insurance can cover you against more than just car theft. It also covers loss or damage caused by several other non-collision hazards such as severe weather, falling objects, floods, structure fires and vandalism.
Why Work with an Independent Insurance Agent?
Independent agents can be a great resource for information when you are shopping for coverage. These insurance professionals can explain your various options, answer your insurance-related questions, and provide you with a selection of customized car insurance quotes. That way you can select the policy that is offered at the best price.
Contact an independent agent in or near Fayetteville to start your search for the best auto insurance policy.
©2021, Consumer Agent Portal, LLC. All rights reserved.