Accidents sometimes happen, even to the most experienced drivers. That is why vehicle owners in Pleasant Grove are required by law to carry car insurance. Whether you are involved in a fender-bender on State Street or a serious collision on the Veterans Memorial Highway, a good auto insurance policy can prevent you from facing a large financial loss as a result.
Finding the best and most affordable car insurance is easy when you work with an independent agent. These agents can help you obtain and compare customized car insurance quotes from a variety of top-rated insurance providers. Contact an independent insurance agent near you to learn more.
How Much Does Car Insurance Cost in Pleasant Grove, UT?
The average cost of car insurance in Utah is lower than the national average.
- National average annual car insurance cost: $1,311
- Utah average annual car insurance cost: $1,059
Keep in mind, however, that these averages can only give you a general idea of what you might actually be expected to pay. Car insurance costs can vary from one driver to the next because they are based on several specific factors. Your quoted price can be affected by considerations like:
- Information about the vehicle(s) you are insuring (e.g., year, make, model, and trim)
- Your age, occupation, marital status
- Your driving record and the driving history of other licensed drivers in your household
- Whether you own or rent your home
- The amount of coverage you are purchasing
- The size of your deductible
- Your claims history and credit score
You can typically get rate reductions if you bundle your car insurance with other policies like home insurance or renters insurance. Many insurance companies also offer other ways to save money like good-student discounts, safe-driver discounts, and low-mileage discounts.
Let an independent insurance agent in Pleasant Grove simplify the process of comparison shopping by doing the legwork for you. That way, you can easily compare customized quotes and you can be sure you are getting the coverage you need at a great price.
What Are the Minimum Car Insurance Requirements in Utah?
Every state has its own minimum coverage requirements for auto insurance. In Utah, all car insurance policies must include:
- Liability insurance: This provides coverage for other people’s injuries or property damage if you are responsible for a collision. Utah is a no-fault state, so the injured party’s insurance company will provide the first line of defense for their medical bills.
- Personal injury protection (PIP) insurance: This provides coverage for injuries sustained by you and members of your household if you are involved in a motor vehicle accident, regardless of who was at fault.
Your Pleasant Grove car insurance policy must meet or exceed the following minimum coverage requirements:
- Bodily injury liability insurance: $25,000 per person/$65,000 per accident
- Property damage liability insurance: $15,000 per accident
- Personal injury protection (PIP) insurance: $3,000 per accident
Talk to a local insurance agent to learn more about the state’s requirements and for help determining how much liability coverage is right for you.
What Else Can Pleasant Grove Car Insurance Cover?
In addition to the mandatory liability coverage mentioned above, your car insurance provider will offer a variety of coverage options that you may want to include in your Pleasant Grove auto insurance policy. These options include:
- Collision insurance: This provides coverage for the cost to repair or replace your vehicle if is it damaged or totaled in a collision, even if the accident was your own fault. This coverage is typically required by lenders if you are still paying for your vehicle and by dealerships if you are leasing it.
- Comprehensive insurance: This provides coverage for the cost to repair or replace your vehicle if it is damaged or totaled due to a non-collision event such as a flood or a landslide. Like collision insurance, this coverage is typically required by lenders if you are still paying for your vehicle or by dealerships if you are leasing it.
- Uninsured motorist insurance: This provides coverage if you are in an accident that was caused by an uninsured, underinsured, or hit-and-run driver, and your resultant medical costs exceed what your PIP insurance can cover.
- Rental car reimbursement: This provides coverage for the cost of renting a vehicle while yours is being repaired following a covered event.
- Gap insurance: This bridges the gap between what your car is currently worth and what you currently owe for it, so that if it is totaled, you will not continue to own car payments for it. New cars depreciate quickly, so this coverage may be particularly valuable during the first few years of new-car ownership.
- Roadside assistance & towing: This provides coverage for the cost of assistance if your car becomes disabled while you are on the road, such as if you get a flat tire or your car won’t start.
Talk to your local insurance agent for help determining which, if any, of these coverage options is a good fit for you.
What Is the Penalty for Driving without Insurance in Pleasant Grove?
As with most states, driving without insurance is illegal in Utah. If caught, you will be charged with a Class B misdemeanor. As a result, you can face penalties that include:
- A fine ranging from $400 to $1,000
- The suspension of your vehicle registration and driver’s license until you can provide proof of insurance
- The need to pay a reinstatement fee of $225
Nonetheless, many drivers in this state are operating uninsured vehicles anyway.
- Percentage of US drivers who are uninsured: 12.6%
- Percentage of Utah drivers who are uninsured: 8.2%
If you are in a collision that was caused by an uninsured driver, that person is responsible for compensating you for damage as well as for any medical costs that exceed what your PIP insurance can cover.
However, this money can be extremely difficult to collect, especially if the at-fault driver simply has no money or assets and cannot pay.
Uninsured motorist insurance was created to ensure that you can you receive timely compensation without the need to take legal action. After compensating you, your insurance company will try to collect the money owed from uninsured driver and will absorb the losses if unsuccessful.
Does Pleasant Grove Car Insurance Cover against Auto Theft?
The auto theft rate in the state of Utah is higher than the national rate. However, in Pleasant Grove, the risk is very low. Residents of this city report about 20 vehicle thefts in an average year.
- National auto theft rate per 1,000 vehicles: 2.29
- Utah auto theft rate per 1,000 vehicles: 2.45
- Pleasant Grove auto theft rate per 1,000 vehicles: 0.68
Even though the risk in this city is very low, you should be aware that you can only get compensation for a stolen vehicle if your car insurance policy includes comprehensive (or “other than collision”) coverage.
Comprehensive insurance covers more than just auto thefts. It can also reimburse you for repair costs if your car is damaged in another non-collision event like a flood, wildfire, or hailstorm.
Talk to a local independent insurance agent to find out how much it will cost for you to include comprehensive coverage in your Pleasant Grove car insurance policy.
Why Let an Independent Insurance Agent in Pleasant Grove, UT, Help You?
You can ask a local independent agent for help when you are looking for the best auto insurance policy to meet your coverage and budgetary needs. These agents work for you, not for a particular insurance company, so they are free to shop around to find you the coverage you want at a price you can afford.
Contact an insurance agent in or near Pleasant Grove to get answers to your insurance-related questions and to start comparing customized car insurance quotes.
TrustedChoice.com Article | Reviewed by Jeffrey Green
©2020, Consumer Agent Portal, LLC. All rights reserved.