Mishawaka is located on the St. Joseph River in northern Indiana. This growing city has a population of over 48,000 residents. While Mishawaka meticulously maintains its quiet, hometown appeal, driving through town is not without dangers. Local drivers need reliable car insurance to back them up after an accident. Independent insurance agents can assess the unique risks you face as a driver in Mishawaka. A local, friendly agent will work hard to find you an auto insurance policy that meets your needs while staying within your budget.
How Much Does Car Insurance Cost in Mishawaka, IN?
Indiana has the 41st most expensive average cost of auto insurance in the US The average cost of coverage in Mishawaka is lower than both the state and national averages.
- National average annual car insurance cost: $1,311
- Indiana average annual car insurance cost: $1,033
- Mishawaka average annual car insurance cost: $970
It’s a good idea to know the factors that influence your car insurance rates. Insurance companies evaluate several of your personal risk factors, such as:
- Your age, marital status, and gender
- Where you live
- Your history of accidents and claims
- The kind of car you drive
- The number of cars and drivers in your household
Insurance companies are concerned with how likely you are to file a claim and the cost of repairing or replacing your vehicle if it is stolen, damaged, or totaled. That is why the type of car you drive is so important in determining the cost of car insurance. Here are some examples that can help you predict your cost of coverage:
- New cars generally cost more to insure than older models.
- Luxury vehicles usually cost more to insure than modestly priced vehicles.
- Hybrids typically cost more to insure than similar, gas-powered cars.
- Sports cars usually cost more to insure than minivans.
If you want to save on your Mishawaka car insurance, choose your car wisely. With the help of a local independent insurance agent, you can review quotes from multiple insurance companies and choose the one that offers the best coverage at the best price. Your agent can also help you find other ways to save.
What Are the Car Insurance Requirements in Indiana?
All Indiana drivers are required to purchase a certain amount of auto insurance coverage. This ensures that you can pay for injuries and property damage if you cause a crash. The liability insurance portion of your auto insurance policy covers other drivers and their passengers when you are at fault for an accident.
- Liability insurance, which covers bodily injury and property damage to third parties for accidents that you cause and are determined to be at fault for
- Bodily injury (BI) liability coverage of at least $25,000 per person/$50,000 per accident
- Property damage (PD) liability coverage of at least $25,000 per accident
The costs of a serious accident can easily surpass the minimum coverage limits required by the state of Indiana. If you cause a major collision, the expenses can include medical bills for other drivers and passengers, vehicle repair costs, and even attorney fees and settlements or judgments levied against you if you are sued for negligence. If these exceeded your coverage limits, how would you pay? To be sure you’re covered, talk through your options with a local independent insurance agent.
What Else Can a Mishawaka Car Insurance Policy Cover?
Insurance companies offer several types of optional auto insurance coverage in addition to what is required by the state. You can choose the options that best fit your needs and budget.
- Uninsured motorist coverage (UM): Pays for your own medical expenses that the other driver would have been liable for if they had car insurance.
- Underinsured motorist coverage (UIM): Pays for your expenses when the at-fault driver has car insurance but it is insufficient to cover your expenses.
- Medical payments, or personal injury protection (PIP): Pays for your own medical expenses following an accident, even if you are at fault.
- Collision coverage: Covers damage to your vehicle sustained in a collision, regardless of who was at fault. Lenders typically require this coverage if you are still paying for your car, and dealerships are likely to require it if you are leasing your car.
- Comprehensive coverage: Covers the cost to repair vehicle damage caused by non-collision events such as floods, fires, falling objects (e.g., trees), and property crimes (theft, vandalism). Lenders typically require this coverage if you are still paying for your car, and dealerships will probably require it if you are leasing your car.
- Towing and roadside assistance: Covers the cost of a service call if your vehicle becomes disabled while it is out on the road.
- Rental car reimbursement coverage: Pays for the cost of renting a vehicle while repairs are being made to your car following a covered event.
A local independent insurance agent can help you learn more about these coverage options.
Why Get Coverage against Uninsured Motorists in Mishawaka?
Not all drivers purchase car insurance. Unfortunately, if an uninsured driver hits you, you have to pay for your own vehicle damage and your own medical bills.
- How many US drivers are uninsured? 12.6%
- How many Indiana drivers are uninsured? 16.7%
If you're in an accident with an uninsured driver, uninsured motorist coverage pays for your vehicle damage and medical bills in the absence of the at-fault driver’s insurance. Some states require all drivers to purchase uninsured motorist coverage. Indiana does not require you to have uninsured motorist coverage.
Can Car Insurance Cover Vehicle Thefts in Mishawaka?
The average auto theft rate in Indiana is lower than the national average. The rate in Mishawaka is similar to both the state and national averages.
- National auto theft rate per 1,000 vehicles: 2.94
- Indiana auto theft rate per 1,000 vehicles: 2.22
- Mishawaka auto theft rate per 1,000 vehicles: 2.61
Auto theft can happen anywhere. Thefts and break-ins can be big financial burdens when you have to fix broken windows and replace stolen personal property. Your car insurance policy can help minimize the worry. With the right coverage, you'll receive timely assistance and compensation so you can get back on the road quickly.
It’s important to add comprehensive coverage to your auto insurance policy if you want to be reimbursed for a stolen or vandalized car. Comprehensive coverage reimburses you, and it also offers coverage for all kinds of “other than collision” vehicle damage, such as damage from falling objects, floods, structure fires, and more. Talk to a local independent insurance agent about comprehensive coverage, and how it can help you pay to repair your car in a variety of unforeseen circumstances.
Why Contact an Independent Insurance Agent in Mishawaka?
Drivers in Mishawaka can work with a local independent insurance agent to find the right auto insurance. Independent agents can work with multiple insurance companies so you can compare quotes and choose the best policy for your needs and budget.
Find an agent in or near Mishawaka to learn more.