From the shops, restaurants, and offices that line Bridge Street to sole proprietorships that are run out of people’s homes, all businesses in Elkton provide needed services and add value to the local economy. If you own a company in this town, you can benefit from carrying business insurance.
Purchasing the right business insurance can be complicated, but it doesn’t need to be. Local independent agents can simplify the process by performing a complete risk assessment on your business and by recommending the appropriate policies to meet all of your company’s specific coverage needs.
Arrange a one-on-one consultation with an insurance agent near you to get more information and to start comparing customized business insurance quotes.
What Kinds of Liability Insurance Do Businesses in Elkton Need?
No business is too small to be sued. If your company ends up on the wrong end of a liability lawsuit, things can get really expensive if you don’t carry the right commercial liability insurance policies.
Business liability insurance is designed to cover expenses like court costs, legal fees, settlements, and judgements if your company is sued for a covered event. The following are some of the many commercial liability policies that are available to business owners in Elkton.
- Premises liability insurance: This covers third-party injuries and property damage caused by accidents on your business premises.
- Product liability insurance: This covers third-party injuries, illnesses, and property damage caused by products your business produces or sells.
- Cyber liability insurance: This covers your company’s financial obligations to affected individuals if hackers break into your company’s computer system and access their personal and financial data.
- Employment practices liability insurance (EPLI): This covers against accusations of illegal employment practices like discrimination, harassment, retaliation, and wrongful termination.
- Errors and omissions insurance: This covers individuals in professional positions if their negligence, errors in judgement, or other mistakes cause their clients to suffer financial losses, injuries, or other harm.
It is important that your business insurance policy package includes the right kinds of liability insurance products to protect your company against all of its exposures.
How Does Elkton Business Insurance Cover Your Company’s Assets?
Commercial property insurance is included in every business insurance policy. It is designed to cover the cost to repair or replace your company’s property if it is lost or damaged because of a covered event.
Here are some of the risks faced by Elkton businesses that commercial property insurance can cover against.
- Property crimes, like theft and vandalism
- Accidental fires and explosions
- Heavy snows
- Ice accumulation
Commercial property insurance covers a lot, but it does not cover everything. You may therefore find it beneficial to supplement your commercial property insurance with additional policies, such as the following.
- Flood insurance: Although flooding is not common in Elkon, it is important to be aware that flood damage is not covered by commercial property insurance. If you feel that your business property is at risk, you can purchase a commercial flood insurance policy through the National Flood Insurance Program (NFIP).
- Inland marine insurance: This covers your company’s portable property when it is being transported over land and when it is being stored at a location other than your place of business.
- Equipment breakdown insurance: This covers the cost to repair or replace your company’s well-maintained, essential equipment and machinery if it breaks down. It can also compensate your business for losses sustained due to the malfunction.
- Bailee’s insurance: This covers your customer’s property when it is in your business’s custody, care, or control. This is important if your business offers repair, alteration, or maintenance services.
You will want to be sure that all of your company’s property and assets are fully covered against any risks that could potentially cause loss or damage.
Save on Business Insurance
Our independent agents shop around to find you the best coverage.
How Can Business Interruption Insurance Help Businesses in Elkton, MD?
Business owners in Elkton should be prepared for the possibility of major disaster like a tornado. While the tornado risk in this city isn’t especially high, it is 11% greater than the national average. One of the worst to strike in the area was an F3 twister that touched down about 8 miles from Elkton in 1994.
Catastrophic events like tornadoes and structure fires can do more than just damage your commercial property. They also have the potential to force your business to remain closed for an extended time while repairs are made.
A forced long-term closure can be financially devastating, especially for small businesses that don’t have a lot of resources to fall back on. Business interruption insurance provides a solution to this problem.
Business interruption insurance delivers a continuation of income during the times that a covered event leads to a necessary extended closure. That way, your company will have the funds it needs to continue paying regular expenses like rent, taxes, loans, and payroll until it can resume normal operations.
Is Workers’ Compensation Insurance Required for Elkton Businesses?
Even when all safety precautions are taken, workers sometimes get hurt on the job. This is particularly true in hazardous industries like construction, manufacturing, and long-haul trucking.
That is why, in the state of Maryland, if you have at least one employee, you are required by law to carry workers’ compensation insurance. Sole proprietors do not need to cover themselves, but they can if they want to.
If an employee is injured on the job or is diagnosed with an occupational illness, workers’ compensation insurance can cover the following.
- All necessary medical treatments including hospital stays, follow-up care, physical therapy, prescription medications, and medical equipment like slings and crutches.
- Disability pay if the injured employee more than three days off work while recuperating.
- Death benefits for the employee’s dependents if a work-related injury or illness is fatal.
The cost of workers’ compensation insurance is based mainly on the number of employees you have, how much they are paid, and the types of jobs they do. The higher the risk that your workers will suffer serious injuries on the job, the more it will cost for you to cover them.
What about Insurance Products for Employee Benefits Packages?
When businesses offer their employees benefits like life insurance, health insurance, paid vacation time, sick time, and a retirement savings plan, they tend to find it easier to attract and retain good employees. This has been demonstrated in numerous studies by human resource consultants.
If you are shopping for insurance policies to include in an employee benefits package, you will find there are many different products and policy options available for you to choose from.
This can make it difficult to decide which health and life insurance policies make good choices for your workers while still being affordable for your business.
Many business owners in Elkton find it beneficial to get guidance and advice from a trusted insurance professional when they are shopping for employee benefits insurance products.
Why Work with an Independent Insurance Agent?
Risks can vary from one company to the next. That is why insurance providers enable you to fully customize your company’s coverage. A local independent agent can do a complete risk assessment of your business and can recommend the right insurance products to protect against each identified exposure.
If you are ready to begin your search for appropriate coverage at competitive prices, arrange an obligation-free meeting with an independent agent near you. With the help of your insurance agent, you can start comparing customized business insurance quotes in no time.