Waldorf, Maryland is a bedroom community for many residents who commute to Washington, DC. Long daily commutes in any city can be dangerous, and accidents can happen at any time. That’s why Waldorf drivers need car insurance. An auto insurance policy helps you recover financially after an auto accident.
It pays for repairs to damaged cars, and can even help you replace a totaled vehicle. And if you’re at fault, it can help you reimburse other drivers for any vehicle damage or injuries that you caused. Independent insurance agents make shopping for the right car insurance policy easy. Independent agents can work with multiple insurance companies, so you can compare quotes and make sure you are getting the high-quality, best-value coverage you desire.
Maryland Car Insurance Requirements
Maryland law requires all vehicle owners to have a minimum amount of coverage, including:
- Bodily injury liability: Required
- Property damage liability: Required
- Personal injury protection (PIP): Required
- Uninsured motorist coverage: Required
- Minimum liability limits: 30/60/15; coverage up to $60,000 for all persons injured in an accident, subject to a limit of $30,000 for one individual; and $15,000 coverage for property damage
Talk to an agent about the importance of purchasing more than the minimum liability insurance required by the state. Maryland’s minimum requirements may be sufficient to cover damage from minor accidents. But if you cause a serious accident, the minimum coverage likely won’t protect you. If you don’t have enough coverage, you’ll have to pay out of pocket for all of the expenses that exceed your policy limits. And if you’re sued for additional damages, the costs may be insurmountable. Purchasing higher liability insurance limits is usually the best way to ensure you are protected. An independent agent can help you decide what coverage limits are best for you and your family.
How Much Does Auto Insurance Cost in Waldorf, Maryland?
Maryland is the 11th most expensive state for car insurance, and rates in Waldorf are even higher than the state average. But that doesn’t mean that everyone will pay more. If you want to save on car insurance in Waldorf, it’s important to shop around for the best rate.
- National average annual car insurance cost: $1,311
- Maryland average annual car insurance cost: $1,590
- Waldorf average annual car insurance cost: $1,601
Remember, everyone’s car insurance rates are a little different. Insurance companies evaluate the risks you present to them and base your rates on how likely you are to file a claim. Several individual factors are assessed, including:
- The make, model, and year of the vehicle(s) you are insuring
- Your age, occupation, driving record, claims history, and credit score
- Information about other licensed drivers in your household
- Auto theft rates in your city or ZIP code
- The amount of liability coverage you are purchasing and the deductibles you choose
- Whether you own or rent your home
Most insurance companies offer numerous discounts to help you keep costs down. Bundling your home insurance or renters insurance with your auto insurance is often one way to earn a discount. Contact an independent agent in Waldorf to obtain and compare customized quotes from multiple, highly rated insurance companies.
Number of Uninsured Motorists in Maryland
Driving without insurance is against the law in Maryland, yet many drivers continue to drive without coverage. Uninsured drivers in Maryland face stiff fines, and failure to pay the fine will result in a revoked license and eventually jail time.
- How many US drivers are uninsured? 12.6%.
- How many Maryland drivers are uninsured. 12.4%.
If you are in an accident that is caused by an uninsured driver, it can be difficult—if not impossible—to collect reimbursement from the at-fault driver. Uninsured motorist insurance is designed to ensure that you can receive compensation without the need to take the at-fault driver to court. Uninsured motorist insurance is required in Maryland.
Number of Auto Thefts in Maryland
The auto theft rate across the state of Maryland is lower than the national average. In Waldorf, you have a 1 in 56 chance of being a victim of a property crime, including auto theft. This is lower than both the state and national averages.
- National auto theft rate per 1,000 vehicles: 2.94
- Maryland auto theft rate per 1,000 vehicles: 1.97
If your car is stolen or vandalized, you need comprehensive coverage to reimburse you for your lost or damaged car. Comprehensive coverage also helps you pay if falling objects, floods, structure fires, or other hazards cause damage to your car. An independent agent in Waldorf can help you review the cost of including this coverage in your policy.
Why Contact an Independent Insurance Agent?
Vehicle owners in Waldorf can ask an independent insurance agent for help finding the best auto insurance. Independent agents can obtain quotes from multiple insurance companies, so you can choose a policy that best meets your coverage and budgetary needs.
Contact a local agent to start comparing customized car insurance quotes.
©2020, Consumer Agent Portal, LLC. All rights reserved.