Even the most careful drivers in Dracut can be involved in accidents. That’s why car insurance is so important. From fender benders on Lakeview Avenue to more serious collisions on I-93, a good auto insurance policy can prevent you from facing large financial losses as a result.
Independent agents make it easy to find the best and most affordable car insurance policy for you and your family. To get answers to your coverage-related questions and to start comparing a selection of customized quotes, contact an insurance agent near you.
How Much Does Car Insurance Cost in Dracut, MA?
The average cost of car insurance in Massachusetts is higher than the national average. When you take the time to compare policies and rates from multiple insurers, you can potentially save yourself hundreds of dollars a year.
- National average annual car insurance cost: $1,311
- Massachusetts average annual car insurance cost: $1,460
The quotes you receive from insurance providers will differ, not just from the average rate listed above, but from each other. This is because each insurance company has its own way of assessing risk and assigning rates.
Your quoted costs will be based on a number of factors such as the following information.
- The make, model, and year of the vehicle(s) you are insuring
- Your age, gender, occupation, and marital status
- Information about other licensed drivers in your household
- Your driving history and credit score
- Whether you own or rent your home
- The amount of liability insurance you want to purchase
- The coverage options you want to include in your policy
- The size of your deductible
If you are bundling your car insurance with another policy like home insurance or renters insurance, you can often qualify for significant discounts. You may also be entitled to rate reductions if you have a long safe driving record or are insuring a student with good grades.
What Does Dracut Car Insurance Cover?
Car insurance policies are a mixture of required and optional coverage. As a resident of Dracut, your policy must meet or exceed Massachusetts’s minimum coverage requirements.
This state requires drivers to have car insurance that includes the following.
- Liability insurance: This covers other people’s injuries and property damage if you cause an accident. Your policy must include the following coverage.
- bodily-injury liability coverage of at least $20,000 per person and $40,000 per accident
- property damage liability coverage of at least $5,000 per accident
- Personal injury protection (PIP): This pays for medical expenses for you and your family if you are injured in a collision, regardless of fault. Your policy must include at least $8,000 in PIP coverage.
- Uninsured motorist insurance: This pays for injuries you may sustain if you are in a collision with an uninsured driver and the medical costs exceed your PIP coverage. Your policy must include uninsured bodily injury coverage of at least $20,000 per person and $40,000 per accident.
You can also expect most car insurance providers to offer the following types of optional coverage.
- Collision and comprehensive insurance: These cover damage to your vehicle, regardless of fault. Though optional by law, these coverage types are often required by lenders until your car is paid off and by dealerships if you have your vehicle on a lease.
- Towing and roadside assistance: This covers costs if you need assistance because your vehicle has become disabled while you are out on the road, such as if you get a flat tire or your engine overheats.
- Gap insurance: This bridges the gap between your car's assessed value and the amount you still owe for it if it is totaled in covered event.
- Rental reimbursement coverage: This pays for the cost of renting a replacement vehicle while repairs are being made to your car following a covered event.
If you want to have even higher liability limits than your car insurance company can offer, you can also purchase an umbrella insurance policy. This is an affordable way to significantly boost all of your personal liability coverage.
Save on Car Insurance
Our independent agents shop around to find you the best coverage.
What Is the Penalty for Driving without Insurance in Dracut?
Driving without insurance is illegal in Massachusetts. If caught driving an uninsured vehicle, you can face the following penalties.
- A civil motor vehicle infraction (CMVI) on your record
- A fine ranging from $500 to $5,000
- The loss of your driver’s license for 60 days to one year
- A reinstatement fee of $500 to be paid to the state’s assigned risk plan (MAIP)
- Incarceration for up to one year for repeat offenders
- Higher car insurance rates
Despite these penalties, some people drive without insurance anyway.
- Percentage of US drivers who are uninsured: 12.6%
- Percentage of Massachusetts drivers who are uninsured: 6.2%
Because uninsured motorist insurance is a required part of your car insurance policy, you can rest assured that if an uninsured driver is responsible for a collision with you, you will receive the compensation you are entitled to without needing to go through expensive lawyers or time-consuming lawsuits.
How High Is the Auto Theft Rate in Dracut?
The auto theft rate in Massachusetts is lower than the national average, and in Dracut the rate is even lower. Residents of this town reported just 10 auto thefts in 2019. This is a decrease from the previous year when 21 vehicles were reported stolen.
- National auto theft rate per 1,000 vehicles: 2.94
- Massachusetts auto theft rate per 1,000 vehicles: 1.18
- Dracut auto theft rate per 1,000 vehicles: 0.32
Though your chance of experiencing an auto theft is relatively low, it is important to be aware that you cannot be reimbursed for a stolen vehicle unless your car insurance policy includes comprehensive coverage. This optional coverage is designed to cover a wide range of non-collision damages.
If you are still paying for your car or are leasing it, you probably already have comprehensive coverage. If not, you may want to look into how much it will cost to add this “other than collision” coverage to your policy.
Why Work with an Independent Insurance Agent in Dracut, MA?
Independent agents can be very helpful when you are looking for the best car insurance policy to meet your coverage and budgetary needs. These experienced agents can explain your coverage options, answer your insurance-related questions, and help you compare a variety of quotes.
Discover the many benefits of working with an independent agent. Set up an obligation-free consultation with an insurance agent near you, and you can start comparing customized car insurance quotes right away.
©2021, Consumer Agent Portal, LLC. All rights reserved.