Even the most careful drivers can sometimes get into accidents, especially in the winter. That’s why car insurance is so important. From fender benders on Main Street to major collisions on Interstate 95, a well-built auto insurance policy can shield you from facing large accident-related expenses.
Independent insurance agents in Lynnfield make shopping for car insurance easy and stress-free. These agents can explain your various options and can help you find the best and most affordable policy. Contact an insurance agent near you to learn more.
How Much Does Car Insurance Cost in Lynnfield, MA?
The average cost of car insurance in Massachusetts is higher than the national average. This makes taking the time to request and compare competing rates particularly beneficial. Comparison shopping has the potential to save you hundreds of dollars a year.
- National average annual car insurance cost: $1,311
- Massachusetts average annual car insurance cost: $1,460
Of course, car insurance rates can vary significantly from one driver to the next, so these figures only offer a ballpark idea of what your actual costs might be. Insurance companies will base your rates on a number of different factors such as:
- The make, model, and year of each vehicle you are insuring
- Your age, occupation, driving record, claims history, and credit score
- Whether you own or rent your home
- The approximate number of miles you drive each year
- Which, if any, coverage options you include in your policy
- How much coverage you are purchasing and the amount of your deductible
- The accident and auto theft rates in the vicinity of your home
When it comes to car insurance, experience matters, so a senior at Lynnfield High School is likely to pay much higher rates than a 50-year-old nurse with a clean driving record. However, students with good grades can benefit from policy discounts.
You can also get policy discounts if you bundle your coverage with another policy like home insurance or renters insurance. Independent insurance agents can make sure that you get any discounts you are entitled to and that the policy you purchase is offered at a competitive price.
What Are the Minimum Car Insurance Requirements in Lynnfield, MA?
Massachusetts is a no-fault state, meaning that your own car insurance will provide a first line of defense when it comes to covering accident-related medical bills, regardless of fault.
PIP covers your medical bills, regardless of fault. Liability insurance covers third-party damage as well as any medical bills that exceed PIP coverage in the event that you are responsible for a collision. Uninsured motorist insurance provides coverage if you are in an accident caused by an uninsured, underinsured, or hit-and-run driver.
As a driver in Lynnfield, your car insurance must include, at a minimum, the following:
- Bodily injury liability insurance: $20,000 per person/$40,000 per accident
- Property damage liability: $5,000 per accident
- Uninsured motorist insurance: $20,000 per person/$40,000 per accident
- Personal injury protection (PIP) insurance: $8,000 per accident
If you cause an accident and your liability coverage is not high enough to fully cover your financial responsibilities, you will be expected to make up the difference out of pocket. That is why many Lynnfield residents opt to purchase higher liability limits than the state requires.
If you want to have even more liability coverage than your Lynnfield car insurance policy will allow, umbrella insurance provides an affordable way to significantly boost your liability coverage. Talk to a local insurance agent to learn more.
What Else Can Lynnfield Car insurance Cover?
In addition to the requirements listed above, your car insurance provider will offer the following optional coverage:
- Comprehensive insurance: This covers the cost to repair non-collision damage to your vehicle. This may be required by your lender if you are still paying for your car or by the dealership if you have the vehicle on a lease.
- Collision insurance: This pays for the cost to repair collision-related damage to your vehicle, regardless of fault. This may be required by your lender if you are still paying for your car or by the dealership if you have the vehicle on a lease.
- Towing and roadside assistance insurance: This can pay for the costs associated with receiving assistance if your vehicle breaks down while you are out on the road.
- Rental car reimbursement insurance: This can pay for you to get a rental car while your car is in the garage being repaired following a covered event.
- Gap insurance: This can bridge the gap between what you currently owe for your car and what the vehicle is currently worth in the event that it is totaled due to a covered event. This is particularly beneficial in the first few years of new car ownership when the vehicle value depreciates most rapidly.
Talk to your local insurance agent to learn more about your various coverage options and to find out how much each will cost to add to your policy.
What Is the Penalty for Driving without Insurance in Lynnfield?
If you are caught driving without insurance in Massachusetts, you will be charged with a civil motor vehicle infractions (CMVI). This comes with some harsh penalties. You can find yourself facing:
- Fines ranging from $500 to $5,000
- The loss of your driver’s license for up to one year
- A fee of $500 to be paid to the state’s assigned risk plan (MAIP)
- Incarceration for up to one year
In other words, driving without insurance is just not worth the risk.
Because abpit 6.2% of vehicle owners in this state drive uninsured anyway, you may be glad that you are required to have uninsured motorist coverage in your car insurance policy. Because of this, if an uninsured driver causes a collision with you, you can get immediate reimbursement for your losses.
Does Lynnfield Car Insurance Cover Auto Thefts?
The good news is that the auto theft rate in Massachusetts is lower than the national average. And in Lynnfield, the average rate is even lower. This is not to say that the risk doesn't exist. Residents of this town report about five auto thefts a year.
- National auto theft rate per 1,000 vehicles: 2.94
- Massachusetts auto theft rate per 1,000 vehicles: 1.18
- Lynnfield auto theft rate per 1,000 vehicles: 0.29
Be aware that your car insurance will not cover you against auto theft unless you have comprehensive coverage included in your policy.
Comprehensive insurance covers far more than just vehicle theft. It can also cover other non-collision damage such as that caused by hazards like floods, fallen trees, garage fires, and vandalism.
Talk to an independent insurance agent near you to learn how much it will cost you to include this optional coverage in your auto insurance policy.
Why Work with an Independent Insurance Agent in Lynnfield, MA?
As a vehicle owner in Lynnfield, you can turn to a local independent insurance agent for help when you have questions about car insurance or are looking for a policy that meets your coverage and budgetary needs.
These agents are free to work with several different insurance companies so they can obtain a variety of customized car insurance quotes that you can review together. Contact an insurance agent with an office in Lynnfield to get started.
©2020, Consumer Agent Portal, LLC. All rights reserved.