New Jersey is famous for the sun and fun of its Atlantic Ocean coastline. From deep sea fishing to surf boarding, natives like to visit Asbury Park for its endless sand and excellent surf. Some people just go for the annual Oysterfest. Folks who go to these spots on their motorcycles make sure they have New Jersey motorcycle insurance before they hit the road.
Motorcycling is enjoyable, but it does have risks. Whether you drive choppers, dirt bikes or sport bikes, you need to know where to buy New Jersey motorcycle insurance. You can find custom-tailored coverage by speaking with an independent agent in the Trusted Choice® network. These agents can show you affordable New Jersey motorcycle insurance quotes for the coverage you need, so contact an agent right now.
New Jersey Motorcycle Accident Statistics
- Between four there were 377 motorcyclist fatalities
- 2,500 New Jersey motorcyclist accidents occur each year
- 2,000 New Jersey motorcyclists are injured each year
Is Motorcycle Insurance Required in New Jersey?
The New Jersey Department of Motor Vehicles requires every motorcycle operator to carry one of the following minimal New Jersey motorcycle insurance options for liability coverage:
- Basic Liability Coverage
- $10,000 coverage for injury/death to more than one person
- $5,000 coverage for property damage
- Standard liability Coverage
- $15,000 coverage for injury/death to one person
- $30,000 coverage for injury/death to more than one person
- $5,000 coverage for property damage
Liability insurance coverage will insure you up to the policy limits for any accident you cause that damages another person’s property. It also covers the personal injuries or deaths of third parties as a result of your negligence. Lawsuits are very expensive, so it is vital that you have sufficient liability coverage to protect yourself.
Additional Motorcycle Insurance Coverage
Along with liability insurance, you can purchase additional New Jersey motorcycle insurance coverage that includes the following options:
- Collision insurance: Covers getting your motorcycle repaired or replaced if it is damaged or totaled in an accident.
- Umbrella/additional liability insurance: In addition to the minimal liability package you have already purchased, with this option, you can increase your liability coverage.
- Comprehensive insurance: Covers your bike for other perils named in the policy, such as theft or vandalism.
- Medical payments: Provides coverage for medical expenses or burial costs that you incur as a result of an accident.
- Uninsured/underinsured motorist insurance: Provides coverage for your injuries or damage to your motorcycle if you are involved in an accident with another driver who has no insurance or is underinsured.
- Accessories insurance: Provides coverage for any customized upgrades you made to your bike after you bought it.
Is New Jersey Motorcyclist Insurance Expensive?
The cost of a policy will vary from insurer to insurer. Your premium also depends on other factors that your insurance company will use to provide you with a quote. Some items may include:
- The driver's age and driving record
- The bike's type, make, age and horsepower
- Where and how you store or park your motorcycle
- Frequency and use of the motorcycle
- Your deductible
- The types of insurance coverage you purchase and policy amounts
- Your motorcycle's add-ons or customization
Motorcycle Insurance Discounts
You can lower your motorcycle premium by qualifying for discounts in the following ways:
- You may get a safe driving discount.
- You can combine your motorcycle insurance policy with other policies. This is known as bundling.
- You can get a policy for actual use if you only drive your bike a portion of the year.
- You can pay a single annual payment as opposed to monthly installments.
- You may qualify for a military or professional organization discount. You may also pay lower premiums if you can buy a policy through an association or a union.
Where to Buy New Jersey Motorcycle Insurance
Many insurers offer New Jersey motorcycle insurance policies. The costs vary from company to company, but you can find help simply by contacting a local independent agent in the Trusted Choice network.
Independent agents can offer you a range of New Jersey motorcycle insurance quotes so you can find the right policy for your motorcycle at an affordable rate. Contact an agent today to get the process started.