From fender benders on Church Street to multi-car collisions on I-40/85, accidents can happen anytime, anywhere and to anyone —even to the most careful and experienced drivers. Fortunately, a dependable car insurance policy can shield Burlington drivers from the expensive costs associated with vehicle collisions. An independent insurance agent with an office in or near Burlington can help you find the best and most affordable auto insurance policy to meet all of your coverage needs. Find an insurance agent near you to get started.
How Much Does Car Insurance Cost in Burlington, NC?
The good news is that North Carolina is the 6th least expensive state for auto insurance. The average cost of car insurance in this state is significantly lower than the national rate, and in Burlington, costs tend to be even lower.
- National average annual car insurance cost: $1,311
- North Carolina average annual car insurance cost: $986
- Burlington average annual car insurance cost: $736
Every insurance company you contact is likely to quote you a different cost for coverage. The company that is least expensive for one person may not be the best choice for another. This is because each insurer has its own proprietary method for assessing risk and calculating costs. Your car insurance rates may be influenced by a number of factors such as:
- The make, model, trim, and year of the vehicles you are insuring
- The age, gender, occupation, and driving record of all the drivers in your household
- The amount of your deductible and how much liability insurance you are purchasing
- Whether you own or rent your home
- The auto theft and accident rates in the area where you live and park your car
- Your claims history and credit score
- Whether you are bundling your auto insurance with other policies like homeowners insurance or renters insurance
Independent agents in Burlington make comparison shopping easy by obtaining customized car insurance quotes from a number of highly-rated insurance companies on your behalf.
North Carolina Car Insurance Requirements
Vehicle owners in North Carolina must carry car insurance that meets or exceeds the following requirements:
- Liability insurance: This pays for third-party injuries and damage. The minimum coverage you must have is:
- $30,000 of bodily injury coverage per person injured in a collision
- $60,000 of bodily injury coverage total per accident
- $25,000 of property damage coverage to pay for third-party damage
- Uninsured motorist insurance: This pays for injuries to you and your passengers and damage to your vehicle if you are in an accident caused by an uninsured driver. Your minimum coverage requirements are the same as the liability insurance minimums.
While these minimum requirements may seem like they are giving you a lot of coverage, they are unlikely to be high enough to handle all your liabilities if you are responsible for a serious collision, especially if it involves significant third-party injuries. If the expenses you are responsible for exceed your coverage limits, you will be expected to make up the difference out-of-pocket.
That is why many Burlington drivers choose to purchase liability coverage in amounts that are significantly higher than the state requires. An independent agent can help you review your costs for various levels of coverage. If you want to have even more liability coverage than your car insurance will allow, you can also purchase an umbrella insurance policy. This is an affordable way to significantly boost all of your liability coverage. Talk to your insurance agent to learn more.
What Else Does Burlington Car Insurance Cover?
In addition to the required liability and uninsured motorist coverage that must be included in your car insurance policy, your auto insurance provider will offer a variety of other coverage options. These include:
- Personal injury protection (PIP): This is designed to cover medical treatment for you and your passengers if you are injured in a collision, regardless of fault.
- Collision insurance: This is designed to cover the cost to repair or replace your vehicle if it is damaged in a collision, regardless of fault. Though not required by law, this coverage is often required by lenders if you are still paying for your car and by dealerships if you are leasing it.
- Comprehensive insurance: This is designed to cover the cost to repair or replace your vehicle if it is damaged in a non-collision event, such as by a fallen tree or floodwaters. Though not required by law, this coverage is often required by lenders if you are still paying for your car and by dealerships if you are leasing it.
- Gap insurance: New cars tend to depreciate in value quickly, which can leave you in a situation where you owe more for your vehicle than it is worth. If this happens and your car is totaled, gap insurance can bridge the gap between what you owe and what you can be compensated.
- Towing and roadside assistance: This covers the cost for assistance if your car runs out of gas or breaks down while you are out on the road and you need to call for help.
- Rental car reimbursement insurance: This reimburses you for the cost of a rental car while your vehicle is being repaired.
To learn more, talk to your local independent insurance agent.
The Auto Theft Rate in Burlington
The auto theft rate in North Carolina is lower than the state’s average rate, and in Burlington, it is even lower. There are approximately 100 reported car thefts in this city each year.
- National auto theft rate per 1,000 vehicles: 2.94
- North Carolina auto theft rate per 1,000 vehicles: 2.12
- Burlington number of auto thefts per 1,000 vehicles: 1.90
Be aware that your car insurance policy must include comprehensive insurance in order for you to be reimbursed for auto theft. The lower vehicle theft rate in this city can help to keep costs for the added coverage affordable.
Why Work with an Independent Insurance Agent in Burlington, NC?
Independent insurance agents can be a great source of information when you are looking for the right car insurance. These agents can explain your various options, answer your insurance-related questions, and provide you with a variety of customized car insurance quotes. That way you can choose the policy that offers the coverage you want at the most affordable price.
Contact an insurance agent near you to begin your search for the best car insurance policy in Burlington.
©2020, Consumer Agent Portal, LLC. All rights reserved.