Even the most careful drivers sometimes make mistakes. That’s why vehicle owners in Cornelius are required to carry car insurance. From fender benders on Catawba Avenue to serious collisions on I-77, a reliable auto insurance policy can shield you from large financial losses in the wake of a vehicle accident.
Independent insurance agents in Cornelius make finding the best car insurance policy easy. These agents can answer your insurance-related questions and provide you with a variety of customized auto insurance quotes. This lets you be sure that you are getting a great policy at a competitive price. Contact an insurance agent near you to learn more.
How Much Does Car Insurance Cost in Cornelius, NC?
The average cost of car insurance in North Carolina is lower than the national average. By taking the time to request and compare competing rates, you can be sure that the policy you choose is offered at a good price. Independent insurance agents make comparison shopping easy.
- National average annual car insurance cost: $1,311
- North Carolina average annual car insurance cost: $986
Of course, car insurance rates can vary significantly from one driver to the next, so the average shown above only offers a general idea of what your actual costs might be. Insurance companies will base your rates on several factors such as:
- The make, model, and year of the vehicles you are insuring
- Your age, occupation, driving record, claims history, and credit score
- Information about other licensed drivers in your household
- Whether you own or rent your home
- The approximate number of miles you drive each year
- Which, if any, coverage options you want to include in your policy
- How much coverage you are purchasing and the amount of your deductible
- The accident and auto theft rates in the vicinity of your home
You are likely to get much lower rates if you have a long, safe driving record. You can also get policy discounts if you bundle your coverage with another policy like homeowners insurance or renters insurance.
Independent insurance agents can make sure that you get any discounts you may be entitled to and that the policy you purchase is offered at a reasonable price.
What Are North Carolina’s Minimum Car Insurance Requirements?
If you cause a car accident, you are responsible for covering any medical expenses and property damage sustained by others. Liability insurance is designed to cover these costs.
This state also requires you to carry uninsured motorist insurance to cover your own medical bills and property damage if an uninsured, under-insured, or hit-and-run driver causes a collision with your vehicle.
In North Carolina, your car insurance must include, at a minimum, the following amounts of coverage:
- Bodily injury liability insurance: $30,000 per person/$60,000 per accident
- Property damage liability insurance: $25,000 per accident
- Uninsured motorist bodily injury insurance: $30,000 per person/$60,000 per accident
- Uninsured motorist property damage insurance: $25,000 per accident
If you cause an accident and your liability coverage is not high enough to fully cover your financial responsibilities, you will be expected to make up the difference on your own. That is why many Cornelius residents opt to purchase higher liability limits than the state requires.
If you want to have even more liability coverage than your Cornelius car insurance policy will allow, you can also purchase umbrella insurance. This is an affordable way to significantly increase all of your liability coverage. Talk to a local insurance agent to learn more about all of your liability coverage options.
Save on Car Insurance
Our independent agents shop around to find you the best coverage.
What Else Can Cornelius Car insurance Cover?
In addition to the requirements listed above, you can choose to add optional coverage to your car insurance policy. Your coverage options include:
- Collision insurance: This covers the cost to repair collision-related damages to your vehicle following an accident for which you are at fault. This may be required by your lender if you are still paying for your car or by the dealership if you have the vehicle on a lease.
- Comprehensive insurance: This covers the cost to repair non-collision damage to your vehicle. This may be required by your lender if you are still paying for your car or by the dealership if you have the vehicle on a lease.
- Medical payments insurance: This covers the cost of medical treatment for you and members of your household if you are injured in a collision for which you are at fault.
- Gap insurance: This is designed to bridge the gap between what your car is valued at and what you currently owe for it if it is totaled in an accident. Because new cars depreciate quickly, this coverage may be extremely beneficial for the first two or three years of new-vehicle ownership.
- Towing and roadside assistance insurance: This covers the cost of assistance if your vehicle breaks down while you are out on the road.
- Rental car reimbursement insurance: This covers the cost of a rental car while your own vehicle is being repaired following a covered event.
Talk to your local insurance agent to learn more about your various coverage options and to find out how much each will cost to add to your policy.
What Is the Penalty for Driving without Insurance in Cornelius?
If you are caught driving without insurance in North Carolina, you will be charged with a Class 3 misdemeanor. This comes with penalties including:
- A fine ranging from $50 to $150
- The suspension of your license plate and vehicle registration for up to 30 days
- A reinstatement fee of $50
- Probation for up to 45 days
Even though it is illegal to do so, approximately 6.5% of all drivers in this state are operating uninsured vehicles. This is about half the national average rate of 13.0%.
Because this state requires you to have uninsured motorist coverage, you can rest assured that if an uninsured, underinsured, or hit-and-run driver is responsible for a collision with you, you will have the coverage you need without having to go through legal channels to collect it.
Does Cornelius Car Insurance Cover Auto Thefts?
The good news is that the auto theft rate in North Carolina is lower than the national average, and in Cornelius, the rate is even lower. This is not to say that the risk does not exist. Residents of this city report about 10 auto thefts a year.
- National auto theft rate per 1,000 vehicles: 2.29
- North Carolina auto theft rate per 1,000 vehicles: 1.70
- Cornelius auto theft rate per 1,000 vehicles: 0.28
You should be aware that your car insurance will not reimburse you following an auto theft unless you have comprehensive coverage included in your car insurance policy.
Comprehensive insurance covers far more than just vehicle theft. It can also cover other non-collision damage such as that caused by floods, fallen trees, garage fires, and hail.
If you are still paying for your vehicle or have it on a lease, chances are good you already have this insurance. If not, talk to an independent insurance agent near you to learn how much it will cost you to add comprehensive coverage to your auto insurance policy.
Why Work with an Independent Insurance Agent in Cornelius, NC?
As a vehicle owner in Cornelius, you can turn to a local independent insurance agent for help when you are looking for an affordable car insurance policy that meets your coverage needs.
These agents are free to work with several different insurance providers so they can obtain a variety of customized car insurance quotes on your behalf. That way, you can be sure you are getting your policy at a competitive price.
Contact an insurance agent with an office in Cornelius to get started.
TrustedChoice.com Article | Reviewed by Jeffrey Green
©2022, Consumer Agent Portal, LLC. All rights reserved.