Salt Lake City is the capital of Utah and the most populous city in the state, with a population of around 190,000. It is the world headquarters of The Church of Jesus Christ of Latter-day Saints (LDS). The LDS church played a significant role in the founding, development, and growth of the city. Today Salt Lake City is a growing and bustling metropolis with diverse neighborhoods and residents and an increasing number of young professionals.
Homeowners in Salt Lake City enjoy a pleasant, safe lifestyle. But no matter where you live, your home can be impacted by fire, severe weather, and even break-ins or vandalism. The best way to protect your Salt Lake City home from these types of unforeseen events is to purchase a reliable homeowners insurance policy. An independent insurance agent can help you obtain the best and most affordable insurance coverage for your unique needs.
Cost of Home Insurance in Salt Lake City, UT
Utah ranks 50th for the cost of home insurance in the US. While the cost of homeowners insurance is a little higher in Salt Lake City than in some other areas of the state, coverage should be very affordable for most residents.
- National average yearly premium: $1,173
- Utah average yearly premium: $673
- Salt Lake City average yearly premium: $862
You should expect your premiums to be more or less than average because everyone’s homeowners insurance rates are a little different. The cost of insuring your home is based on its unique characteristics and the amount of coverage you need. To determine your rates, insurance companies look at the type of home you have (one-story, townhome, two-story, etc.) as well as its age, size, and value. They also consider the types of materials used in your home’s construction as well as several other factors, such as:
- Your claims history and credit score
- Your coverage limits and the deductible that you choose
- The crime rate and weather risks in your city or ZIP code
- Whether you are bundling your coverage with other policies like car insurance
The best way to make sure you are getting the best price is to shop around. An independent insurance agent can get quotes from multiple insurance companies so you can compare costs and coverage and make the best choice for your needs and budget.
Burglary Rate in Salt Lake City, UT
The home burglary rate in Utah is lower than the national average, but homeowners in Salt Lake City have a higher risk of burglaries and break-ins.
- Number of burglaries per 1,000 homes in the US: 4.69
- Number of burglaries per 1,000 homes in Utah: 4.21
- Number of burglaries per 1,000 homes in Salt Lake City: 8.97
Salt Lake City homeowners should protect their homes from break-ins, theft, and vandalism. If you experience a property crime, your home insurance will reimburse you for your losses as well as any property damage you sustain. A local independent agent can help you be certain that your home and possessions are properly insured.
If you have items like expensive jewelry, special collections, or family heirlooms, ask your agent about adding special endorsements or riders to ensure these items have appropriate coverage. A home security system is also a great idea for Salt Lake City residents. Security systems not only help to deter burglars but also help you save some money on your home insurance. Most insurance companies offer discounts to homeowners with burglar alarms.
Catastrophic Events in Utah
Utah is particularly susceptible to fires, floods, and occasional severe storms. Salt Lake City sees frequent heavy rainfall and enhanced lake-effect precipitation due to the city’s proximity to the Great Salt Lake.
- Number of declared disasters in Utah: 37
- Most common reasons for disasters in the state: Fires and Floods
- Average number of tornadoes per year in Utah: 2.5
- Average amount of property damage per year in Utah: $306,502,000
- 1 in 15 insured homes has a claim each year
Homeowners insurance protects you from the financial consequences of most property losses you could experience in Salt Lake City. Whether a kitchen fire causes damage to one room or a burst pipe causes extensive damage throughout your home, a reliable home insurance policy will help reimburse you for repair costs, lost and damaged possessions, and even living expenses if you can’t live at home while you make repairs.
Liability Insurance for Salt Lake City Homeowners
Liability insurance is one of the most important parts of any homeowners policy. It protects you when you or a family member are sued for some kind of negligence. This can happen when someone is injured on your property, or even if you or family member cause some kind of damage or injury to someone else. Consider these examples:
- A guest in your home is seriously injured in an accident because of your negligence.
- Your child or pet causes injuries or property damage to a neighbor.
- You are accused of libel or slander because of something you posted online.
The liability insurance portion of your homeowners policy covers court costs, legal fees, and even settlements or judgments levied against you if you are sued. If you have extensive assets or feel you need more coverage than the liability limits of your home insurance policy, you might want to consider an umbrella policy. Umbrella insurance supplements the liability coverage in both your home and auto insurance policies.
Second Home and Vacation Home Insurance
If your primary residence is in Salt Lake City, but you own a second home or a vacation home in the mountains or elsewhere, you have special insurance considerations. Whether you own a ski chalet in the mountains, a summer lake home, or a rental property in the city, your second home needs sufficient insurance protection. You might think it’s easier to insure a second home, but in fact, homes that do not serve as a primary residence actually have additional risks.
- Rental property owners have high liability risks. Landlord insurance can help protect you from the costs of liability claims and lawsuits.
- Thieves and vandals often target homes that are empty for long periods. What’s more, water damage, ice damage, and fires are more common in homes that are only occupied seasonally. Talk to an independent agent to see if vacant home insurance can help in your situation.
A local independent agent can help you find appropriate policies to cover all of your residential properties.
Why work with an Independent Insurance Agent?
The easiest way to find a reliable and affordable homeowners insurance policy is by contacting a local independent insurance agent. These agents work for you, not for a particular insurance company, so you can be sure that you are receiving trustworthy guidance and the coverage you need.
Contact an agent in or near Salt Lake City to start comparing customized, competitively priced home insurance quotes.
©2020, Consumer Agent Portal, LLC. All rights reserved.