How much are you paying for car insurance in Topeka, KS? Would you like to find lower premiums? If so, you are in the right place. Auto accidents happen, so you will need an excellent car insurance policy to cover them. Maybe your car got a flat tire on Beglis Parkway, or you had a major accident on I-10, either could cost you hundreds or thousands of dollars in accident-related monetary losses.
When you hire an independent insurance agent, you can search for the best car insurance policy to meet your coverage and financial needs. Find an independent insurance agent in Topeka, KS to learn more today.
Why Do Car Insurance Rates Differ?
Because insurance companies have their own approach in determining risk and calculating rates, which can cause car insurance rates to be different from one person to another. Following are some factors that the rate for your car insurance quote may be based on:
- Your age and gender
- Where you park your car
- Claims history and credit score
- Driving experience and record
- Vehicle type and use of the vehicle
Chances are you may qualify for significant discounts on your car insurance if you bundle your car insurance with renters or homeowners insurance. You may qualify for other discounts, such as if you have a safe driving record or make good grades in school.
Allow an independent insurance agent to help you in comparing rates and finding the discounts for which you qualify. They can assist you in finding the car insurance coverage you need at the most reasonable price.
What Car Insurance Coverage Options Are Available in Topeka, KS?
All car insurance policies are a mixture of mandatory and voluntary car insurance coverage options. As a resident of Topeka, KS, your policy must meet or exceed Kansas’s minimum car insurance coverage requirements. Kansas requires drivers to carry liability car insurance and uninsured motorist coverage.
If you are still paying on or leasing your car, your dealer will most likely require you to carry comprehensive and collision insurance.
The minimum liability insurance requirements are as follows:
- $25,000 for injury/death to one person.
- $50,000 for injury/death to more than one person.
- $25,000 for damage to property.
Auto liability insurance reimburses third parties for personal injury and/or property damage. Please be aware that comprehensive and/or collision insurance does not meet Kansas’s vehicle financial responsibility requirements.
Following are several car insurance coverage options you might expect that your local independent insurance agent to offer you:
- Collision insurance (Partially optional): This option covers repair or replacement of your car if it is damaged in an accident, regardless of fault.
- Comprehensive insurance (Partially optional): This option covers repair or replacement of your car if it is lost or damaged due to a non-collision event such as flooding, lightning, or car fire.
- Uninsured motorist insurance (Required): This option covers other non-covered damage and injuries you may undergo if in a collision with an uninsured, underinsured, or hit-and-run driver.
- Roadside assistance and towing (Optional): This option covers essential options if your car breaks down while out driving, like if all your engine coolant leaks out.
- Rental reimbursement coverage (Optional): This option covers the cost of renting an alternate car while your car is being repaired following a covered event.
Speak with your independent insurance agent for assistance in selecting your auto liability coverage options.
What Is the Penalty for Driving without Insurance in Topeka, KS?
In the state of Kansas, if you neglect to maintain liability car insurance and uninsured motorist coverage, a law enforcement officer will cite you if you are caught. If you get into an accident and are found to be at fault, you will be responsible for the expenses for any personal injuries and/or property damage that occurs.
When you go to court and they find that sufficient insurance was not in effect on the date you were cited, it will be apparent evidence of failure to provide proof of financial security.
Following are the penalties for driving without insurance in Topeka, KS:
- Uninsured operation of a motor vehicle:
- Guilty of a Class B misdemeanor.
- A fine of $300-$1,000; or
- Confinement in the county jail for a term of not more than six months; or
- A fine and confinement in the county jail
- A conviction within three years:
- Guilty of a Class A misdemeanor.
- A fine of $800-$2,500.
- Other penalties for failure to maintain liability insurance:
- Suspension of the license of any driver involved in an accident.
- Revocation of all vehicles owned by the owners involved in the accident.
What Is the Auto Theft Rate in Topeka, KS?
The 2018 crime rate in Topeka, KS was 455 per 100,000 individuals, which was 1.7 times higher than the US average. In the last five years, Topeka has seen an increase in violent crime and an increase in property crime.
- National auto theft rate per 100,000 vehicles: 228.9
- Kansas auto theft rate per 100,000 vehicles: 269.4
- Topeka auto theft rate per 100,000 vehicles: 582.3
Your car insurance is partly based on the number of claims filed, and Topeka’s auto theft rate is more than double the national average. This should be a very good incentive to carry the appropriate amount of car insurance on your vehicles.
The risk of your car being stolen is very high in Topeka, so you should remember that you can only be reimbursed for auto theft if your car insurance policy includes comprehensive coverage. This optional coverage can also consist of a range of non-accident related damage such as floods or structure fires.
If leasing or paying for your car, hopefully, you already have comprehensive coverage. If not, talk with your independent insurance agent to learn how much it will cost to add this non-accident related coverage to your car insurance policy.
Independent Insurance Agent in Topeka, KS
Independent insurance agents can be particularly beneficial when searching for the best car insurance policy to meet your coverage requirements. These car insurance professionals can explain your coverage options, answer insurance-related questions, and help you review offers from multiple insurance companies.
Contact a TrustedChoice independent insurance agent with an office in or near Topeka, KS to start comparing personalized car insurance quotes in moments.
TrustedChoice.com Article | Reviewed by Jeffrey Green
©2020, Consumer Agent Portal, LLC. All rights reserved.