Car Insurance in Braintree, MA
Experts break down auto insurance costs, coverages, companies, and more for drivers in Braintree, Massachusetts.
Even the most careful drivers can be involved in car crashes. That is why Massachusetts requires vehicle owners in Braintree to carry car insurance. From fender benders on Hancock Street to multi-car collisions on I-93, a good auto insurance policy can save you from significant financial losses.
Finding the best and most affordable car insurance is easy when you work with an independent insurance agent. These agents can help you obtain and compare customized car insurance quotes from a selection of top-rated insurers. Contact an independent insurance agent near you to get started.
How Much Does Car Insurance Cost in Braintree, MA?
On average, car insurance rates in Massachusetts are higher than the national average. Comparing rates from a variety of insurance companies lets you choose the policy that is offered at the most competitive price.
- National average annual car insurance cost: $1,311
- Massachusetts average annual car insurance cost: $1,460
An average rate can only give you a general idea of what you will be expected to pay. Car insurance costs can vary from one driver to the next because they are based on several factors like:
- The make, model, trim, and year of the vehicle(s) you are insuring
- Your age, occupation, marital status, and driving record
- Details about the other licensed drivers in your household
- Your insurance claims history
- Whether you own or rent your home
- The amount of coverage you are purchasing
- Which, if any, options you are including in your policy
- The size of your deductible
You can usually earn rate reductions if you bundle your car insurance with other policies like homeowners insurance or renters insurance. Many insurance companies also offer other money-saving incentives like good student discounts, safe driver discounts, and other discounts.
Is Car Insurance Required in Braintree, MA?
Every state has its own minimum coverage requirements for auto insurance. In Massachusetts, all car insurance policies must include:
- Personal injury protection (PIP) insurance: This pays for medical treatment if you or your passengers are injured in a collision, regardless of fault. Your policy must include at least:
- $8,000 in PIP coverage per accident
- Liability insurance: This pays for other people's injuries and property damage if you cause a collision. Massachusetts is a no-fault state, so the injured party's personal injury protection coverage will provide the first line of defense for their medical bills. Your policy must include at least:
- $20,000 in bodily injury coverage per person
- $40,000 in bodily injury coverage per accident
- $5,000 in property damage coverage per accident
- Uninsured motorist insurance: This pays for medical treatment for you and your passengers if you are injured in an accident caused by an uninsured driver and your medical costs exceed what your PIP insurance can cover. Your policy must include at least:
- $20,000 in uninsured motorist bodily injury coverage per person
- $40,000 in uninsured motorist bodily injury coverage per accident
If you cause a significant collision that involves multiple vehicles or several serious injuries, a minimum coverage policy may not be sufficient to cover your financial obligations. That is why many drivers in Braintree opt to purchase car insurance that provides more liability coverage than the state requires.
If you are looking for very high levels of liability protection, you can further boost your liability coverage by purchasing umbrella insurance. This is an affordable way to increase all of your personal liability coverage.
What Else Can Braintree, MA Car Insurance Cover?
In addition to the mandatory liability coverage, most car insurance providers also offer several coverage options, many of which you may want to include in your auto insurance policy. These options can include:
- Physical damage insurance: This pays for the cost to repair or replace your vehicle if it is lost or damaged due to a covered event. Lenders typically require this coverage if you are still paying for your vehicle, and dealerships will require it if you are leasing it.
- Collision insurance: This covers the cost to repair or replace your vehicle if it is damaged or totaled in a collision, regardless of fault.
- Comprehensive insurance: This covers the cost to repair or replace your vehicle if it is damaged or totaled by a non-collision event such as a hailstorm or theft.
- Towing and roadside assistance: This pays for the cost of assistance if your car breaks down, such as if you get a flat tire or your engine overheats.
- Gap insurance: This pays your remaining costs if your car is totaled in a covered event, but you still owe more than it is worth. New cars lose value very quickly, so this coverage is usually a good idea during the first couple of years of new vehicle ownership or when you are leasing a car.
- Glass replacement coverage: This can cover the cost to replace the safety glass in your car's windshield and windows if it is cracked or shattered.
- Rental car reimbursement: This pays for the cost of renting a vehicle while your car is being repaired following a covered event.
It is a good idea to review the details of each type of coverage as well as how much each one costs so you can best determine which options are a good fit for you and your family.
Save on Car Insurance
Our independent agents shop around to find you the best coverage.
What Is the Penalty for Driving without Insurance in Braintree, MA?
Driving without insurance is a civil motor vehicle infraction (CMVI) in Massachusetts. If caught, you can face penalties that include:
- A fine ranging from $500 to $5,000
- An additional $500 payment or one full year of premium compulsory (full-coverage) insurance.
- The suspension of your driver's license for 60 days to one year
- A reinstatement fee of $500 to get your driving privileges back
- Possible incarceration for up to one year
Probably because of these harsh consequences, Massachusetts has one of the lowest rates of uninsured drivers in the country:
- Percentage of US drivers who are uninsured: 12.6%
- Percentage of Massachusetts drivers who are uninsured: 6.2%
If you are in a collision caused by an uninsured driver, that person is responsible for compensating for your property damage and any medical costs that exceed what your PIP insurance can cover. However, this money can be challenging to collect, especially if the at-fault driver has no assets to go after.
Uninsured motorist insurance was created to ensure that you can receive timely compensation for your medical costs without the need to take legal action. After compensating you, your insurance company will attempt to collect the money owed by the at-fault driver and will absorb the losses if unsuccessful.
Does Braintree, MA Car Insurance Cover against Auto Theft?
The auto theft rate in Massachusetts is much lower than the national rate, and in Braintree, the rate is even lower. That is not to say the risk does not exist. Residents of this city report an average of about 30 vehicle thefts a year.
- National auto theft rate per 1,000 vehicles: 2.29
- Massachusetts auto theft rate per 1,000 vehicles: 0.96
- Braintree auto theft rate per 1,000 vehicles: 0.46
Even though the chance that someone will steal your car in this city is low, you should be aware that you can only get compensation for a stolen vehicle if your car insurance policy includes comprehensive coverage.
Comprehensive insurance (also known as "other than collision insurance") covers more than just auto thefts. It can also reimburse you for repair costs if your car is damaged in another non-collision event like a garage fire or windstorm.
If you are leasing your car or still paying on your auto loan, chances are good you already have this coverage. If not, you may want to look into how much it will cost you to add this optional coverage to your car insurance policy.
What Are the Best Car Insurance Companies in Braintree, MA?
The best car insurance companies in Massachusetts in Braintree are the ones that have a long and consistent history of providing exceptional customer service, reliable coverage, and competitive rates.
Independent insurance agents in Braintree have developed partnerships with some of the area's top insurance providers. This means you can trust that any car insurance policies your agent recommends to you are offered by trustworthy companies.
Why Should I Work With an Independent Insurance Agent in Braintree, MA?
A local independent agent can offer assistance when you are looking for the best auto insurance policy to meet your coverage and budgetary needs. These agents work for you, not for a particular insurance company, so they are free to shop around for the coverage you want at a price you can afford.
It doesn't cost anything to consult one of these experienced insurance professionals. Contact an independent insurance agent near you when you are ready to start comparing customized car insurance quotes.
TrustedChoice.com Article | Reviewed by Jeffrey Green
©2023, Consumer Agent Portal, LLC. All rights reserved.