Even the most experienced drivers can sometimes find themselves involved in roadway collisions. That is why vehicle owners in Hackensack are required by state law to have car insurance. From fender benders on Essex Street to multi-car collisions on I-80, a reliable car insurance policy can shield you from also experiencing a large financial loss. Finding the best car insurance is easy when you work with a local independent insurance agent. An insurance professional in Hackensack can provide you with a variety of customized auto insurance quotes so you can be sure you are purchasing your coverage at a competitive price. Find an insurance agent near you to get started.
How Much Does Car Insurance Cost in Hackensack, NJ?
The average cost of car insurance in New Jersey is higher than the national average, but in Hackensack, rates tend to be more in line with the national average. This is good news for those who are looking for an affordable auto insurance policy.
- National average annual car insurance cost: $1,311
- New Jersey average annual car insurance cost: $1,595
- Hackensack average annual car insurance cost: $1,354
Of course, your actual cost is likely to differ from the city’s average. This is because car insurance costs are calculated individually according to several different considerations. Examples of factors that can influence your rate include:
- The make, model, and year of your the vehicle you are insuring
- Your age, gender, occupation, driving history, and credit score
- Details about other drivers in your household, unless you are specifically excluding them from your coverage
- The approximate number of miles you drive your car each year
- The accident and auto theft rates in your ZIP code
- Whether you are bundling your coverage with another policy like homeowners insurance or renters insurance
Shopping around for coverage enables you to compare rates and find the policy that is offered at the best price. An independent insurance agent in Hackensack can help you easily obtain and review customized car insurance quotes from a variety of top-rated insurance companies.
What Are Car Insurance Requirements in New Jersey?
In New Jersey, drivers can opt to purchase a standard car insurance policy, or they can buy a less expensive, but more limited, basic car insurance policy. A standard car insurance policy must include, at a minimum, the following:
- Liability insurance
- Bodily injury liability coverage of at least $15,000 per person / $30,000 per accident
- Property damage liability coverage of at least $5,000 per accident
- Personal injury protection (PIP) coverage of at least $15,000 plus $250,000 of PIP for severe or permanent injuries
New Jersey residents also have the option to purchase a basic coverage policy that is much less expensive but provides very little in the way of coverage. A basic policy must provide:
- $5,000 in property damage liability coverage
- $15,000 in personal injury protection.
A basic policy does not include bodily injury liability coverage but will provide up to $250,000 for very serious injuries like brain damage. While basic coverage may be your least expensive option, it is not necessarily the best choice. If you cause a collision and your insurance limits are too low, you will be expected to make up the difference out-of-pocket. This can be very expensive, especially if the accident you caused results in serious injuries. That is why many Hackensack vehicle owners purchase car insurance with liability limits that are much higher than those required in a standard policy.
What Else Can a Hackensack Car Insurance Policy Cover?
In addition to what is required by the state, the following optional coverage is also available for you to include in your policy:
- Collision coverage: This pays to repair or replace your vehicle if it is damaged or totaled in an accident, even if the collision was your fault. This optional coverage is typically required by lenders if you are still paying for your car and by dealerships if you are leasing it.
- Comprehensive coverage: This pays to repair or replace your vehicle if it is damaged in a non-collision event such as a flood, windstorm, or fire. This optional coverage is typically required by lenders if you are still paying for your car and by dealerships if you are leasing it.
- Uninsured motorist coverage: This pays for your damage and injuries if you are in a collision that is the fault of an uninsured, underinsured, or hit-and-run driver.
- Roadside assistance and towing: This pays for the cost of assistance if your vehicle becomes disabled while you are out on the road.
- Rental car reimbursement coverage: This can pay for the cost of renting a vehicle while repairs are being made to your car following a covered event.
Talk to your insurance agent to learn more about each of these coverage options and for help deciding whether they are a good fit for you.
Why Get Coverage against Uninsured Motorists in Hackensack?
If you are caught driving without insurance in New Jersey, you can be penalized with a fine, jail time, and suspension of your driving privileges for up to one year. Regardless, about one in ten motorists in this state choose to break the law and drive an uninsured vehicle.
- Percentage of US drivers who are uninsured: 13%
- Percentage of New Jersey drivers who are uninsured: 14.9%
If you are in an accident caused by an uninsured driver, that person is responsible for paying for your damage and medical treatment. Unfortunately, collecting this money often requires litigation. Even with a court order, if the guilty party simply does not have the funds, you may never see restitution. Unless that is, you have uninsured motorist coverage.
Uninsured motorist insurance is an optional coverage that you can include in your Hackensack car insurance policy. When you have this coverage, your insurance company will cover the injuries and damage caused by uninsured, underinsured and hit-and-run drivers. They will then take over the difficult task of trying to collect the money owed by the at-fault driver.
Can Car Insurance Cover against Vehicle Thefts in Hackensack?
The auto theft rate in New Jersey is lower than the national average, and in Hackensack, the rate is even lower. There are about 50 vehicle thefts reported in this city every year. Of course, you probably don’t spend all of your time in Hackensack, so it’s best to be covered against potential car theft no matter where you travel.
- National auto theft rate per 1,000 vehicles: 2.28
- New Jersey auto theft rate per 1,000 vehicles: 1.24
- Hackensack auto theft rate per 1,000 vehicles: 1.11
Be aware that you cannot be compensated for a stolen car unless your auto insurance policy includes comprehensive, or “other than collision,” insurance. The low auto theft rate in this city will help to keep your costs for this added coverage manageable.
Why Work with an Independent Insurance Agent in Hackensack?
As a vehicle owner in Hackensack, you can turn to a local independent agent for help when you are searching for the right auto insurance policy to meet your coverage and budgetary needs. These agents are free to work with a variety of insurance providers so they can assist you in finding the best and most affordable policy.
Find an independent insurance agent in or near Hackensack to learn more. You can start comparing customized car insurance quotes in no time.
©2021, Consumer Agent Portal, LLC. All rights reserved.