Garner Car Insurance
Don't pay more than you have to for this mandatory coverage.
Vehicle owners in Garner are required by North Carolina state law to have car insurance. From fender benders on Route 70 to serious collisions on Interstate 40, a solid auto insurance policy can prevent you from facing large financial losses as the result of an accident.
Finding the best and most affordable car insurance is easy when you work with an independent insurance agent. These local agents can help you obtain and compare customized car insurance quotes from a variety of reliable insurers. Find an insurance agent near you to get started.
How Much Does Car Insurance Cost in Garner, NC?
Great news: The average cost of car insurance in North Carolina is lower than the national average. Comparing rates from a variety of insurance companies enables you to get your policy at the lowest possible price.
- National average annual car insurance cost: $1,311
- North Carolina average annual car insurance cost: $986
Keep in mind that these averages can only give you a general idea of what you might actually be expected to pay. Car insurance costs can vary significantly from one driver to the next because they are based on several factors. Your quoted price can be influenced by such things as:
- The make, model, and year of the vehicles you are insuring
- Your age, occupation, marital status, and driving history
- Information about the other licensed drivers in your household
- Whether you own or rent your home
- The amount of liability coverage you are purchasing
- The size of your deductible
- Your claims history and credit score
You can typically earn rate reductions if you bundle your car insurance with other policies like home insurance or renters insurance. Many insurance companies also offer other money-saving benefits like safe driver discounts and good-student discounts.
Contact an independent agent in Garner to learn more about any potential discounts for which you may qualify and to easily review customized quotes from a variety of top-rated insurance companies.
What Are the Minimum Car Insurance Requirements in North Carolina?
Every state has its own minimum coverage requirements for auto insurance. In North Carolina, all car insurance policies must include liability insurance and uninsured motorist insurance.
Liability insurance is designed to pay for other people’s damage and medical bills if you cause an accident. Uninsured motorist insurance ensures that you will receive compensation for your injuries and property damage if someone who causes an accident with you lacks insurance coverage.
The minimum coverage your Garner car insurance must have is:
- Bodily injury liability insurance: $30,000 per person/$60,000 per accident
- Property damage liability insurance: $25,000 per accident
- Uninsured motorist bodily injury insurance: $30,000 per person/$60,000 per accident
- Uninsured motorist property damage insurance: $25,000 per accident
Keep in mind that medical costs can grow very expensive very quickly. If you are responsible for an accident that has costs that exceed your coverage limits, you will be expected to make up the different out of pocket. That is why many drivers in Garner opt to purchase car insurance that has higher-than-required liability limits.
Some residents of this city also purchase umbrella insurance in order to get even more liability coverage than their auto insurance policy can provide. A local insurance agent can help.
What Else Can Garner Car Insurance Cover?
In addition to the mandatory coverage mentioned above, your car insurance provider will also offer optional coverage that you may want to include in your Garner auto insurance policy. These options include:
- Collision insurance: This is designed to cover the cost to repair or replace your vehicle if is it damaged or totaled in a collision for which you are at fault. This coverage is not required by law, but it is typically required by lenders if you are still paying for your vehicle and by dealerships if you are leasing it.
- Comprehensive insurance: This is designed to cover the cost to repair or replace your vehicle if it is damaged or totaled due to a non-collision hazard like a fallen tree or a tornado. This coverage is not required by law, but it is typically required by lenders if you are still paying for your vehicle or by dealerships if you are leasing it.
- Medical payments insurance: This is designed to cover your medical bills if you are injured in an accident for which you are at fault.
- Roadside assistance and towing insurance: This is designed to cover the costs of assistance if your car becomes disabled while you are out on the road, such as if you run out of gas or get a flat tire.
- Gap insurance: This is designed to cover the gap between what your car is currently worth and what you currently owe for it in the event that it is totaled. New cars depreciate in value quickly, so this coverage may be particularly valuable during the first few years of new-car ownership.
- Rental car reimbursement: This is designed to cover the cost of renting a vehicle while your car is being repaired following a covered event.
Talk to your local insurance agent for help determining which, if any, of these coverage options is a good fit for you and your family.
Save on Car Insurance
Our independent agents shop around to find you the best coverage.
What Is the Penalty for Driving without Insurance in Garner?
Driving without insurance in North Carolina is illegal. If caught, you can be charged with a Class 3 misdemeanor and face penalties that include:
- A fine ranging from $50 for a first infraction to $150 for third or subsequent infractions.
- The suspension of your vehicle’s plates and registration for up to 30 days
- A fee of $50 to get your vehicle reinstated
- The possibility of probation for up to 45 days
- The suspension of your driver’s license for up to one year if you are involved in a collision while driving an uninsured vehicle
The good news is that North Carolina has a relatively low rate of uninsured drivers.
- Percentage of US drivers who are uninsured: 13.0%
- Percentage of North Carolina drivers who are uninsured: 6.5%
If you are involved in a collision caused by an uninsured driver, that person is responsible for compensating you for your medical costs and damage. However, this money can be extremely difficult to collect, especially if the at-fault driver simply has no money or assets to go after.
Uninsured motorist insurance, which is required in North Carolina, was created to ensure that you receive timely compensation for your injuries and property damage without the need to take legal action. After compensating you, your insurance company will try to collect the money owed from the uninsured driver and will absorb the losses if unsuccessful.
Does Garner Car Insurance Cover against Auto Theft?
The auto theft rate in the state of North Carolina is lower than the national average. And in Garner, the rate is even lower. This is not to say the risk does not exist. Residents of this city report about 40 vehicle thefts every year.
- National auto theft rate per 1,000 vehicles: 2.29
- North Carolina auto theft rate per 1,000 vehicles: 1.70
- Garner auto theft rate per 1,000 vehicles: 1.47
Though the risk in this city is relatively low, it is important to be aware that you can only get reimbursed for a stolen vehicle if your car insurance policy includes comprehensive (or “other than collision”) coverage.
Comprehensive insurance covers more than just auto thefts. It can also reimburse you for repair costs if your car is damaged in a non-collision event like a flood, hail, or a windstorm.
Talk to an independent insurance agent to find out how much it will cost you to include comprehensive coverage in your Garner car insurance policy.
Why Let an Independent Insurance Agent in Garner, NC Help You?
You can ask a local independent agent for help when you are looking for the best car insurance policy to meet your coverage and budgetary needs. These agents work for you, not for a particular insurance company, so they are free to shop around to find you the coverage you want at a price you can afford.
Contact an insurance agent with an office in or near Garner to get answers to your insurance-related questions. You can start comparing customized car insurance quotes in no time.
TrustedChoice.com Article | Reviewed by Jeffrey Green
©2023, Consumer Agent Portal, LLC. All rights reserved.