Vehicle owners in Charlestown, IN, are required to carry car insurance. From fender benders on Country Road 403 to serious collisions on the Ohio River Scenic Bypass, a reliable auto insurance policy can shield you from large financial losses following an accident.
Independent insurance agents make shopping for car insurance easy. These agents can answer your insurance-related questions and can provide you with a variety of customized auto insurance quotes. This lets you be sure that you are getting a great policy at a competitive price. Contact an insurance agent in or near Charlestown to learn more.
How Much Does Car Insurance Cost in Charlestown, IN?
The average cost of car insurance in Indiana is lower than the national average.
- National average annual car insurance cost: $1,311
- Indiana average annual car insurance cost: $1,033
Of course, car insurance rates will vary from one driver to the next, so the average shown above can only give you a general idea of what your actual costs might be. Insurance companies will base your rates on several factors including:
- The make, model, and year of the vehicle(s) you are insuring
- Your age, occupation, driving record, and claims history
- Information about other licensed drivers in your household
- Whether you own or rent your home
- Which, if any, coverage options you want to include in your policy
- How much liability coverage you are purchasing
- The accident and auto theft rates in the vicinity of your home
You are likely to get much lower rates if you have a long history as a safe driver. You can also get policy discounts if you are a student with good grades or if you bundle your coverage with another policy like homeowners insurance or renters insurance.
Independent agents can make sure that you get any discounts you may be entitled to and that the policy you purchase is offered at a reasonable price.
What Are Indiana’s Minimum Car Insurance Requirements?
If you cause a car accident, you are responsible for covering any medical expenses and property damage sustained by others. Liability insurance is designed to cover these costs.
This state also requires you to carry uninsured motorist insurance to cover your own medical bills and property damage if an uninsured, under-insured, or hit-and-run driver causes a collision with your vehicle. However, this coverage can be waived if you opt out in writing.
In Indiana your car insurance must include, at a minimum, the following amounts of coverage:
- Bodily injury liability insurance: $25,000 per person/$50,000 per accident
- Property damage liability insurance: $25,000 per accident
- Uninsured/underinsured motorist bodily injury insurance: $25,000 per person/$50,000 per accident
- Uninsured motorist property damage insurance: $25,000 per accident
If you cause an accident and your liability coverage is not high enough to fully cover your financial responsibilities, you will be expected to make up the difference out of pocket. That is why many Charlestown residents opt to purchase higher liability limits than the state requires.
What Else Can Charlestown Car insurance Cover?
In addition to the requirements listed above, you can choose to add optional coverage to your car insurance policy. Your coverage options include:
- Collision insurance: This covers the cost to repair collision-related damages to your vehicle following an accident, regardless of fault.
- Comprehensive insurance: This covers the cost to repair non-collision damages to your vehicle.
- Medical payments insurance: This covers medical treatments for you and your passengers if you are injured in a collision, regardless of fault.
- Gap insurance: This bridges the gap between your car’s current value and how much you owe for it if it is totaled in a covered event. New cars depreciate quickly, so this coverage may be extremely beneficial for the first two or three years of new-vehicle ownership.
- Towing and roadside assistance insurance: This covers the cost of assistance if your vehicle breaks down while you are out on the road.
- Umbrella insurance: This is an affordable way to boost your liability coverage to levels higher than what your car insurance can provide.
Talk to your local insurance agent to learn more about your various coverage options and to find out how much each will cost to add to your policy.
What Is the Penalty for Driving without Insurance in Charlestown?
If you are caught driving without insurance in Indiana, you can face the following penalties:
- Fines ranging from $250 to $1,000
- The suspension of your driving privileges for 90 days to one year
- A reinstatement fee of $250 to $1,000
- Higher car insurance premiums
Even though it is illegal to do so, approximately 16.7% of all drivers in this state are operating uninsured vehicles. This is significantly higher than the national average rate of 13.0%.
Uninsured motorist insurance lets you know that if an uninsured, underinsured, or hit-and-run driver is responsible for a collision with you, you will have the coverage you need without having to go through legal channels to collect it.
Unless you have specifically opted out of this coverage in writing, you should be covered against uninsured drivers.
Does Charlestown Car Insurance Cover Auto Thefts?
The auto theft rate in Indiana is on par with the national average; but in Charlestown, the risk is significantly lower. Residents of this city report and average of about 10 auto thefts a year.
- National auto theft rate per 1,000 vehicles: 2.29
- Indiana auto theft rate per 1,000 vehicles: 2.29
- Charlestown auto theft rate per 1,000 vehicles: 0.61
It is important to bear in mind that your car insurance will not reimburse you for an auto theft unless you have included comprehensive coverage in your car insurance policy.
This insurance covers far more than just vehicular theft. It can also cover other non-collision damages such as those caused by windstorms, floods, fallen trees, garage fires, and hail.
If you are still paying for your vehicle or have it on a lease, chances are good you already have comprehensive insurance. If not, talk to an independent insurance agent near you to find out how much it will cost to add this coverage to your auto insurance policy.
Why Work with an Independent Insurance Agent in Charlestown, IN?
Independent insurance agents in the Charlestown area can help when you are looking for an affordable car insurance policy that meets all of your coverage needs.
These agents are free to work with several different insurance providers so they can obtain a variety of customized car insurance quotes on your behalf. That way, you can be sure you are getting your policy at a competitive price. Contact an insurance agent near you to get started.
TrustedChoice.com Article | Reviewed by Jeffrey Green
©2021, Consumer Agent Portal, LLC. All rights reserved.