Driving in New Orleans can sometimes be hazardous. The streets are often clogged with tourists who are unfamiliar with the roads and it is not uncommon to share the roadway with a reveler who has just had one too many drinks on Bourbon Street. Poor judgment on the part of just one driver can easily lead to a multi-vehicle accident. A top-rated New Orleans car insurance policy can protect you from the financial drain a motor-vehicle collision can cause.
New Orleans, Louisiana Car Insurance Costs:
- National average annual premium: $1,311
- Louisianaaverage annual premium: $1,774
- 4th most expensive premiums in the US
The state of Louisiana has some of the most expensive car insurance rates in the country. Fortunately, there are ways to save money on your policy. You should always comparison shop before making a purchase to ensure that you are not paying too much for your coverage.
You can also save money on your premiums by opting for higher deductibles or automatic electronic payments. Discounts are frequently available for safe drivers and those who combine their car insurance with other policies such as life or home insurance. Be sure to ask about available discounts when requesting a rate quote.
New Orleans, Louisiana Car Insurance Requirements:
- Bodily injury liability: required
- Property damage liability: required
- Personal Injury Protection (PIP): not required
- Uninsured motorist: not required.
- Minimum liability limits: 15/30/25
- Coverage up to $30,000 for all persons injured in an accident, subject to a limit of $15,000 for one individual, and $25,000 coverage for property damage.
Louisiana State mandates minimum liability coverage amounts for its residents. If you are caught operating a vehicle without the proper insurance coverage, you may lose your license plate and be given a temporary plate that allows you three days to remedy the situation, or your vehicle may be impounded
These minimum coverage amounts are usually adequate to sufficiently cover low- to moderate-impact collisions, but if you happen to be responsible for a serious accident, you may find yourself facing extensive medical or property damage amounts that go beyond what this coverage can handle. In such a case, you would be responsible for the excess costs out of your own pocket. You can avoid this financial risk by purchasing liability coverage that goes beyond the state-required minimums. Or, if you have a lot in assets that you wish you protect, you may want to consider purchasing an umbrella insurance policy as well.
Do You Need Other Kinds of Coverage?
Your New Orleans car insurance policy will automatically include liability coverage. Beyond this, there are many other kinds of coverage to choose from. These include:
- Collision coverage: This will cover the repair costs if your vehicle is damaged in a crash with another vehicle or object, regardless of fault.
- Medical payments coverage: This will cover the cost of medical treatment if you or your passengers are injured in an accident for which you are at fault.
- Comprehensive coverage: This will cover the cost of repairs if your vehicle is damaged by non-collision related events such as floods, fires, severe weather, falling objects or vandalism. It will also provide you with compensation if your vehicle is stolen.
- Uninsured motorist coverage: This will cover repairs to your vehicle and medical expenses for you and your passengers if you are involved in a collision with a driver who is at fault but lacks the necessary insurance coverage to fully cover your costs.
- Roadside assistance: This will provide you with assistance or a tow if your car breaks down.
New Orleans, Louisiana Uninsured Motorists:
- National uninsured motorists: 12.6%
- Louisiana uninsured motorists: 13.9%
- Louisiana average vehicle repair cost: $2,585
In Louisiana, there are fewer uninsured drivers than in the rest of the country. But it is important to remember that drivers are responsible for any damages or injuries they cause in an accident, regardless of whether they have insurance. And it takes a lot longer to collect compensation for such damages and injuries from drivers who don't have insurance. Uninsured motorist coverage is optional in Louisiana, but you would do well to opt for it, since then you'll be able to collect money from your insurer if the at-fault driver is uninsured.
Number of Thefts in Louisiana:
- National vehicle thefts (per 1,000 registered vehicles): 2.94
- Louisiana vehicle thefts (per 1,000 registered vehicles): 2.06
While car theft in the state of Louisiana is slightly below the national average, the number of thefts in the city of New Orleans greatly exceeds it. Recent numbers show 2,620 cars were reported stolen in this city. That equates to 6.82 out of every 1,000 registered vehicles, more than double the national average!
While these theft numbers are high, it should be noted that they have been steadily decreasing in recent years. In 2001, a whopping 8,731 vehicles were stolen in this city, for a rate of 15.56 thefts per every 1,000 vehicles.
If you own a car in New Orleans, be sure to do what you can to protect it. Keep it locked when not in use and try to park it in indoor garages or well-lit areas. Investing in an anti-theft device, like a car alarm or GPS tracker, can go a long way toward protecting your vehicle. And, it may even earn you discounts on your policy.
Find an Affordable New Orleans Car Insurance Policy
Securing a New Orleans car insurance policy that meets both your coverage and budgetary needs does not need to be a time-consuming process. A local Trusted Choice® member agent can work with you to assess your coverage needs and can then provide you with a selection of quotes for policies that can meet them. Comparison shopping has never been so easy.
Trusted Choice independent agents can do more than just assist you with finding a great car insurance policy. At your request, these agents can review the other insurance policies you currently have with you to make sure that you are sufficiently covered. They may even be able to save you money by finding better policies that are more competitively priced. Contact a local Trusted Choice agent today for more information and you can start reviewing an assortment of New Orleans auto insurance quotes today.