Car Insurance in Franklin, TN
Experts break down auto insurance costs, coverages, companies, and more for drivers in Franklin, Tennessee.
Vehicle owners in Franklin can benefit from having car insurance. Whether you cause a multi-vehicle crash on I-65, get rear-ended at a stoplight on Murfreesboro Road, or find yourself in a parking lot fender-bender, a good auto insurance policy can shield you from unmanageable financial losses.
Local independent agents are free to work with some of the area's top-rated insurance companies as they shop around to find you great coverage at a reasonable price. Contact an independent insurance agent near you to start comparing customized car insurance quotes from a few competing insurers.
How Much Does Car Insurance Cost in Franklin, TN?
The average cost of car insurance in Tennessee is slightly lower than the national average, and in Franklin, it's even lower. This is excellent news for area residents who are looking for an affordable policy.
- National average annual car insurance cost: $1,311
- Tennessee's average annual car insurance cost: $1,263
- Franklin's average annual car insurance cost: $987
An average rate can only give you a general idea of what you will be expected to pay. Car insurance companies calculate rates according to several factors, such as:
- Your vehicle's year, make, model, and condition
- Your age, occupation, and driving record
- Your insurance claims history and credit score
- Details about any other licensed drivers in your household
- The amount and types of coverage you are including in your policy
- The size of your deductible
Every insurance company you contact will likely quote you a different price. Comparison shopping lets you choose the policy that offers all the coverage you want at the most affordable cost. Independent insurance agents make comparison shopping easy.
You may be able to score even lower rates if you qualify for any offered car insurance discounts. Some common rate-reduction opportunities you may encounter when shopping for rates include:
- Multi-car discounts
- Safe driver discounts
- Good student discounts
- Military discounts
- Discounts for bundling your car insurance with other policies like homeowners insurance or renters insurance
- Discounts for having a vehicle equipped with certain safety features
When you work with an independent agent, your agent will ensure that you receive any offered discounts for which you qualify.
Is Car Insurance Required in Franklin, TN?
Vehicle owners in Tennessee must carry a policy that meets or exceeds Tennessee's minimum coverage requirements. To comply with state law, your policy must include:
- Auto liability coverage: This covers other people's injuries and property damage if you are at fault for a collision. Your policy must provide, at a minimum:
- Bodily-injury liability coverage per person: $25,000
- Bodily-injury liability coverage per accident: $50,000
- Property damage liability coverage per accident: $15,000
Many vehicle owners in Franklin also need to include physical damage coverage in their auto insurance policies. Though it is not required by law, physical damage insurance is usually required by lenders or dealerships if you are financing or leasing your car. Physical damage insurance includes:
- Collision insurance: This covers the cost to repair or replace your vehicle if it is damaged or totaled in a collision, regardless of fault.
- Comprehensive insurance: This covers the cost to repair or replace your vehicle if it is damaged or totaled by a non-collision event such as a hailstorm or theft.
If you own your vehicle outright, physical damage coverage is optional.
Save on Car Insurance
Our independent agents shop around to find you the best coverage.
What Else Does Car Insurance Cover in Franklin, TN?
In addition to the coverage mentioned above, most car insurance companies also offer their policyholders various options, such as:
- Uninsured motorist insurance: This covers damage to your vehicle and the treatment of injuries sustained by you and your passengers if you are in a collision caused by an uninsured driver.
- Medical payments insurance: This helps cover the cost of medical treatments if you or your passengers are injured in a collision, regardless of fault. It typically covers expenses that your health insurance may not cover, like ambulance services, copays, and deductibles.
- Roadside assistance insurance: This covers assistance and towing services if your vehicle breaks down, and you need to call for help, such as if you get a flat tire or your engine overheats.
- Glass replacement insurance: This covers the cost of replacing the safety glass in your vehicle's windshield, windows, or sunroof if it is cracked, shattered, or otherwise damaged.
- Gap insurance: This can pay off your car loan or buy out your lease if your vehicle is totaled in a covered event, but you still owe more than it is worth.
- Rental reimbursement insurance: This is designed to cover the cost of renting a car while your own vehicle is being repaired for damage sustained in a covered event.
- Umbrella insurance: This secondary insurance policy provides an affordable way to significantly boost your auto liability coverage well beyond your primary policy limits.
Take the time to review the details and prices of the coverage options available to you to determine which are a good fit for you and your family.
What Is the Penalty for Driving without Car Insurance in Franklin, TN?
Driving without insurance is a Class C misdemeanor in Tennessee. This comes with penalties including:
- A $300 fine
- The suspension of your driver's license and vehicle registration until you provide proof of insurance
- Fees, including a $65 license reinstatement fee and a $50 fee to the Tennessee safety commissioner
- The requirement to maintain an SR-22 Proof of Insurance form for three years
- Repeat offenders may need to take a defensive driving course and retake their driver's license exam
- Higher car insurance rates
If you cause an accident while uninsured, the infraction is bumped up to a Class A misdemeanor. If convicted, in addition to the consequences mentioned above, you can face:
- Incarceration for up to one year
- A fine of $2,500
- The need to cover any property damage or injuries you may have caused to others in the collision
Despite these penalties, approximately one in five motorists in this state are driving without insurance:
- Percentage of US drivers who are uninsured: 13.0%
- Percentage of Tennessee drivers who are uninsured: 20.0%
If your car insurance policy includes uninsured motorist insurance, you can rest assured that if you are in a collision caused by an uninsured driver, you will have the compensation you need to cover your property damage and injuries without going through lengthy legal channels to collect it.
How High Is the Auto Theft Rate in Franklin, TN?
The auto theft rate in Tennessee is much higher than the national average, but the rate is much lower in Franklin. That is not to say the risk does not exist. Residents of this city report around 45 auto thefts a year.
- National auto theft rate per 1,000 people: 2.29
- Tennessee auto theft rate per 1,000 people: 6.24
- Franklin auto theft rate per 1,000 people: 0.65
As a vehicle owner in Franklin, you should be aware that you can only be reimbursed for a stolen car if your auto insurance policy includes comprehensive coverage.
This optional "other-than-collision" insurance covers a wide range of non-collision losses and damage, such as if an uprooted tree falls on your vehicle or if it is destroyed in a tornado.
If you are leasing or financing your vehicle, chances are good you have comprehensive coverage already. If not, you may want to look into how much it would cost to add it to your car insurance policy so you can best decide whether it is a good value for you.
What Are the Best Car Insurance Companies in Franklin, Tennessee?
Some of the attributes that make insurance companies stand out above the rest include responsive customer service, consistent reliability, timely claims processing, and competitive rates.
Independent insurance agents have teamed up with some of the best car insurance companies in Tennessee. This lets you be sure that any policies your agent recommends to you are offered by insurance companies you can count on if you ever need to file a claim.
How Can an Independent Agent in Franklin, TN Help Me Find the Best Car Insurance Policy?
Independent agents make it easy to find the best auto insurance policy. These agents are available to answer your coverage-related questions and help you obtain and compare rates from some of the area's most highly rated insurance providers.
Best of all, seeking advice from one of these experienced insurance professionals won't cost you a thing. Arrange an obligation-free consultation with an independent insurance agent near you to start comparing customized car insurance quotes.
TrustedChoice.com Article | Reviewed by Jeffrey Green
©2023, Consumer Agent Portal, LLC. All rights reserved.