The central Texas city of Abilene enjoys a sub-tropical climate most of the time, and was ranked #32 on Sperling’s best places to live in the U.S. in recent years. But the city is also located on the southern edge of America’s “tornado alley,” and has the dubious honor of being in a central Texas area known as “flash flood alley.” In order to protect your house against a variety of hazards, be sure to take the time to find suitable Abilene, TX homeowners insurance.
How can you be sure your home is protected against natural and man-made hazards? A local agent in the Trusted Choice® network can assist you with your Abilene homeowners insurance coverage. These independent agents can answer your questions, suggest coverage options, and provide you with a variety of competitive Abilene home insurance quotes from top-rated insurers. Contact a local member agent to find the right coverage for your needs today.
Cost of Homeowners Insurance in Texas
- National yearly premium average: $1,034
- Texas yearly premium average: $1,661
- 3rd most expensive premium in the US
While average Texas home insurance policy premiums are higher than the U.S. average, actual rates will vary. Premiums depend upon the home’s value, the ZIP code it is located in, the condition of the home, and many other factors.
Even inside the city limits, your exact location could affect your rates. For example, parts of Brookhollow Drive are in the 100-year (high risk) floodplain. Older houses that do not conform to modern building codes could be more threatened by tornadoes than new construction is, leading to potentially higher premiums. In order to figure out how much your own policy should cost, you will need to get accurate rate quotes for the specifics of your home.
Some homeowners will qualify for insurance discounts because of steps they take that minimize the risk of hazards or simply make it easier for insurers to do business. These are some common examples of discounts you may qualify for:
- Multi-policy discounts: If you insure your home and vehicle with the same insurer, your premiums may be discounted.
- Fire and burglar alarms: These devices are believed to reduce claims, so insurers often offer discounts for homeowners who have alarms installed.
- Billing methods: Some insurers will offer you a discount for having your premiums automatically drawn from your bank account or for paying your premiums six months to a year in advance.
What Does Abilene Homeowners Insurance Cover?
Home policies usually provide owners with a package of a few different types of protection for common hazards.
- Property damage: This covers damage to your home, property and any additional buildings such as a garage, shed or outbuildings.
- Home contents: This covers your personal property inside of your house. Note that you may need to list valuables on separate riders.
- Liability insurance: If a visitor claims that your actions caused injury or property damage, this can help cover these claims or even defend you in a lawsuit.
- Relocation assistance: This is a policy option that will help you find temporary housing if your house becomes uninhabitable.
It is also important to understand what typical home insurance policies do not cover. You may need extra coverage for floods, earthquakes, and even windstorms. Make sure you understand what coverage you need in order to be fully protected.
Number of Catastrophes in Texas and the U.S.
- National number of catastrophes: 19,033
- Number of catastrophes in Texas: 1,935
- National number of tornadoes: 1,233
- Number of tornadoes in Texas: 221
- National property damage from weather: $5,511,270,000
- Property damage from weather in Texas: $1,026,150,000
Residents of Abilene may be vulnerable to most of the hazards that threaten other Texans. It is always a good idea to be prepared in the event of the unexpected.
Number of Thefts in Texas
- National average for burglaries: 37,814
- Texas number of burglaries: 190,898
Some hazards are caused by other people, rather than by nature. A typical Abilene homeowners insurance policy should also cover damage or loss caused by burglars or vandals.
Save on Home Insurance
Our independent agents shop around to find you the best coverage.
Abilene Home Insurance Quotes
If you find comparing home policies and understanding potential hazards a challenging task, a Trusted Choice independent agent with an office in your city can make this job much easier. These local agents can help you find the right coverage by assisting you to assess your risks and compare Abilene home insurance quotes.
A home is a valuable asset, and one way you can protect your investment is to be sure that you have appropriate insurance. To find the right policy for your unique situation, contact a Trusted Choice member agent today.