The largest city in the Dallas-Fort Worth metropolitan area, Dallas began as a small settlement by a natural ford in the Trinity River. By the late 1800s, it had emerged as a center of trade, transportation, and finance. Today, the city is an urban center of culture, energy, and high-tech development. If you own a home in the vibrant city, you will want to be sure you find a suitable Dallas, TX homeowners insurance policy.
When shopping for homeowners insurance, you may have a lot of questions. An independent insurance agent in the Trusted Choice® network can provide answers. These agents can help you select the right coverage options and can offer you a variety of competitively priced policies from which to choose. Contact a member agent in your neighborhood today to learn more and you can start comparing Dallas home insurance quotes today.
Cost of Homeowners Insurance in Texas
- National yearly premium average: $1,034
- Texas yearly premium average: $1,661
- 3rd most expensive premium in the US
Of course, average policy rates are meant to be used only as guidelines. Rates can vary significantly from one home to the next. The cost of your policy will depend on several factors such as the value of your home, the location of your home, the amount of insurance purchased, and the amount of your deductible.
The only way to find out how much you should be paying for your Dallas homeowners insurance is to compare rates from at least three insurance companies. Your local Trusted Choice member agent can make this easy by supplying you with quotes from a variety of highly rated providers.
What Does Dallas Homeowners Insurance Cover?
While the city’s houses and population are diverse, home insurance policies are fairly standard. You can expect your policy to provide the following types of coverage:
- Structural coverage: This part of your policy covers your actual house and any associated peripheral structures such as fences and detached garages. If these structures are damaged by covered incidents including fires, falling objects, severe weather or property crimes, you can receive compensation for your loss. Some weather events such as hurricanes may require you to purchase an additional rider, or endorsement.
- Contents coverage: This covers the personal property in your home. This includes furniture, carpeting, and clothing. Some property categories, such as jewelry and electronics, have compensation caps so you may need to purchase additional riders to have full coverage.
- Liability coverage: This protects you if a guest is injured or suffers property damage while on your property and sues you. This coverage can also protect you from claims of libel or slander or if your pets or children cause property damage or injuries to a neighbor or visitor. In addition, your liability coverage will compensate you for any related court costs and legal fees.
- Relocation assistance: If your home is severely damaged and is not fit for habitation because of a covered event, your Dallas homeowners insurance policy may provide compensation for temporary housing and meals while repairs are being made.
It is important that homeowners are aware that nearly all home insurance policies exclude coverage for flood damage. Fortunately, Dallas participates in the National Flood Insurance Program, so you should be able to purchase an affordable flood insurance policy for this additional protection. A Trusted Choice member agent can give you more information about flood insurance and can help you purchase a policy.
Number of Catastrophes in Texas and the US
- National number of catastrophes: 19,033
- Number of catastrophes in Texas: 1,935
- National number of tornadoes: 1,233
- Number of tornadoes in Texas: 221
- National property damage from weather: $5,511,270,000
- Property damage from weather in Texas: $1,026,150,000
- 1 in 15 homes has a claim each year, nationally.
This North Texas metropolitan area is probably the most densely populated city center in a region of the U.S. known as "Tornado Alley." Even though tornadoes are smaller than hurricanes, the winds can be more intense. A new warning system that makes automated phone calls and sounds alarms helps to save lives from the devastation of tornadoes.
Fortunately, your Dallas homeowners insurance policy can provide you with compensation if your home is severely damaged by a tornado or other covered event.
Save on Home Insurance
Our independent agents shop around to find you the best coverage.
Theft in Texas
- National average for burglaries: 37,814
- Texas number of burglaries: 190,898
Some areas of Texas are safer than others, so your homeowners insurance carrier will base your coverage rates in part on the specific ZIP code in which your home is located.
A good home security system may help you in a couple of ways. First, these devices have been demonstrated to reduce thefts and intrusions, so you may be able to stop a burglary before it even happens. Secondly, many home insurers offer home policy discounts to their customers who install these devices.
You can expect your Dallas homeowners insurance to cover you for losses due to theft and intruder damage, but you need to be sure that your policy limits and coverage types are adequate. You do not want to find out that you don't have enough resources to replace your computers or TV sets because you covered your belongings at actual value rather than at replacement value, or because you hit the maximum coverage limits on certain categories of items.
Compare Dallas Home Insurance Quotes
For most people, the home is their most important investment. Be sure to protect yours with a suitable insurance policy. Agents in the Trusted Choice network can help you assess your coverage needs so you can be certain that your house and property are well protected.
Comparison shopping can be time consuming and may leave you with more questions than answers. An independent agent in the Trusted Choice network can simplify the process by helping you compare policies from multiple insurers to make sure you find a great deal. Contact a local member agent today for more information.