Most of the time, this city enjoys mild winters and hot, sunny summers. But, once in a while, Austin gets struck by flash floods, ice storms or wind storms. In fact, Austin is one of the largest cities in central Texas’ “Flash Flood Alley.” If you live in town, be sure you have adequate Austin, TX homeowners insurance to protect your house, property and bank account.
How can you be sure you have the right coverage for your home? Trusted Choice® member agents, with offices right near you, can help you find the coverage you need. These local independent agents will answer your questions and compare multiple Austin home insurance quotes from a variety of highly rated insurance companies. For fair prices and personal service, contact a Trusted Choice member agent.
Cost of Homeowners Insurance in Texas
- National yearly premium average: $1,034
- Texas yearly premium average: $1,661
- 3rd most expensive premium in the US
How much should your home policy cost? An insurance company considers your house’s value, the value of your personal property and many other things before they it will offer you a rate quote. To find out how much your own policy might cost, it is necessary to compare quotes from a handful of local insurers. This is easy when you can give your basic information to a local agent in the Trusted Choice network and get competitive rate quotes.
Your Travis County ZIP code may also affect your rates. Even a fairly random event, like a recent tornado, may factor into your prior claim history.
You may also be able to save money on your Austin homeowners insurance by searching for companies that offer discounts. Many agencies will offer cheaper rates for customers who proactively minimize risks by using enhancements such as theft alarms, fire alarms and upgraded roofs.
Typical Austin Homeowners Insurance Coverage
Typical home policies provide different types of protection for houses and property. The following common types of coverage may be included in your policy:
- Building property: Building property insurance covers your home in case of damage to your house and any additional structures, such as garages and storage sheds.
- Home contents: Insurance for your home's contents covers loss from damage, theft and destruction of your household items including clothing, furniture and appliances.
- Liability insurance: Liability insurance protects you against financial loss if you are responsible for someone else's injury or property damage, and you face a lawsuit for these third-party losses.
- Relocation assistance or “loss of use”: If your home is found to be uninhabitable during repairs, relocation assistance or "loss of use" coverage will pay your living expenses, typically up to 20 percent of your home's coverage.
- Medical payments: If someone is injured on your property and does not want to sue you, the medical payments option in a basic homeowners policy will pay a specified amount for medical bills.
What is not included in your home policy? A typical home insurance policy might exclude flood damage, earthquake damage, termite damage, rodent infestation, the freezing of pipes and, in certain areas, windstorms. A good local agent can help you understand your risks and coverage.
Number of Casualties in Texas and the US
- National number of catastrophes: 19,033
- Number of catastrophes in Texas: 1,935
- National number of tornadoes: 1,233
- Number of tornadoes in Texas: 221
- National property damage from weather: $5,511,270,000
- Property damage from weather in Texas: $1,026,150,000
Damage from tornadoes, which fall under the category of windstorm damage, are a real hazard in Travis County. You could lose your home and all your belongings if a tornado strikes your area. You can get windstorm insurance to protect your home as well as its contents. In addition, you can protect items located outside your home. Due to severe weather patterns that include tornadoes, Texas homeowners insurance rates are among the highest in the nation.
Floods also are a very real threat in Travis County. The county does participate in the National Flood Insurance Program, and you may need to purchase additional coverage to be sure your home is protected. You can purchase coverage for the structure of your home or your personal property. The national average cost for flood insurance is $400 to $500 annually, but it can cost as much as $2,000 in flood-prone areas.
Save on Home Insurance
Our independent agents shop around to find you the best coverage.
Number of Thefts
- National average for burglaries: 37,814
- Texas number of burglaries: 190,898
It is always a good idea to protect yourself from loss due to burglary. Simple steps like installing security alarms will reduce the threat of thefts and may even earn you a homeowners insurance discount.
Austin Home Insurance Quotes
Many homeowners need help buying the right home coverage at the right price. Local independent Trusted Choice member agents can answer your questions and help you compare Austin homeowners insurance rates from top rated insurers. Each independent agent in the Trusted Choice network has taken a Pledge of Performance to provide the excellent customer service and honest, ethical advice.
Make sure your home is protected at a reasonable price. Contact a local member agent in the Trusted Choice network today.