This large Far West Texas city lies on the banks of the Rio Grande, just across the Texas and U.S. border from Juarez, Mexico. A recent winner of the All-American City honor, this is a great city in which to raise a family. If you live in Sun City, make sure you protect your home and property with the right El Paso, TX homeowners insurance.
Trusted Choice® member agents can help you protect your house by making sure you understand your coverage and providing free El Paso home insurance quotes from multiple insurers that do business in the area. Find fair prices and fair service when you contact one of these local agents.
Cost of Homeowners Insurance in Texas
- National yearly premium average: $1034
- Texas yearly premium average: $1,661
- 3rd most expensive premium in the US
Texas insurance premiums are higher than the US national average. When looking at premiums, a major cost consideration is your locale.
The New Mexico suburbs of Anthony, Sunland Park and Chaparral lie adjacent to El Paso County but are considered suburbs of Las Cruces. Still, both areas share a commuter and business base and even TV stations, so it may not always be clear where one city’s area begins and the other city’s area ends.
In addition, a mix of old and new housing can complicate the process of estimating a price for your El Paso homeowners insurance. Contact a local agent to help you find prices and plans for your home's unique location and value.
Types of Home Coverage
Most El Paso homeowners insurance policies share some standard types of coverage options. For the specific details of any policy you plan to buy, you can speak with a local agent. These are some standard coverage options:
- Building property: This coverage type includes your actual house and associated structures.
- Home contents: This coverage may help compensate you for losses and damage to your personal property.
- Liability insurance: If a visitor to your home claims you caused damages or injuries, this option might help cover you if you are taken to court.
- Relocation assistance: You may have to move out because a covered incident rendered your home uninhabitable. This option can help you pay for temporary lodging.
In addition to finding out what your policy covers, you should make sure you understand what your policy excludes. Some natural hazards like earthquakes, sinkholes and floods are often excluded from basic coverage.
Since the city does suffer from periodic floods, you may decide to purchase a flood policy. If your home is located in a high risk area, you may be required to purchase mandatory flood insurance. In any case, your local agent can help you find the best insurance for your house so you can be sure you are covered against unexpected hazards.
Number of Catastrophes in Texas and the US
- National number of catastrophes: 19,033
- Number of catastrophes in Texas: 1,935
- National number of tornadoes: 1,233
- Number of tornadoes in Texas: 221
- National property damage from weather: $5,511,270,000
- Property damage from weather in Texas: $1,026,150,000
The overall number of catastrophes and tornadoes in Texas is high. And like many West Texas cities, El Paso has experienced extreme weather conditions, such as winter snow storms, monsoon rains and floods in addition to tornadoes.
These problems might be exacerbated by the fact that the city is not as well prepared to handle weather changes as some other places that experience climate extremes more often. A local agent can be a great resource when you need to find out how to cover your home and property against natural weather extremes and a variety of other threats.
Theft in Texas
- National average for burglaries: 37,814
- Texas number of burglaries: 190,898
Texas has a high crime rate, yet the overall crime rate in El Paso is about average for a densely populated area. Make sure you carry enough coverage for your personal property and home contents, in case a burglar destroys or takes away your valuable possessions.
Good home burglar alarms may help you stop intruders before they steal anything or damage your house. Many insurance companies also offer an El Paso homeowners insurance discount for these devices because they have been demonstrated to reduce theft and intrusions.
El Paso Home Insurance Quotes
A local independent Trusted Choice member agent can make it easy to find the right insurer. A member agent can help you assess your requirements and compare a variety of local plan premiums.
If you want to be sure your house and property are well protected, contact one of these agents for more information about El Paso homeowners insurance right away.