The city of Kannapolis was incorporated in 1984 and now has approximately 50,000 residents. This Charlotte suburb offers a low crime rate, several newly developed housing communities, and a wide array of parks and recreational facilities. If you own a house in this rapidly growing city, you can protect your investment with a solid homeowners insurance policy.
Independent insurance agents can help you find the best and most affordable insurance coverage for your Kannapolis home. Find an insurance agent near you to learn more, and you can soon start comparing customized homeowners insurance quotes from a variety of reliable insurers.
How Much Does Homeowners Insurance Cost in Kannapolis, NC?
The average cost of homeowners insurance in North Carolina is lower than the national average rate. In Kannapolis, the average rate is even lower. Comparing rates lets you be sure you are getting your coverage at a good price.
- National average yearly premium: $1,173
- North Carolina average yearly premium: $1,075
- Kannapolis average yearly premium: $669
The actual quotes you will receive for your home insurance coverage are likely to be different from the average rate listed above. This is because costs are calculated individually and are based on a number of factors. Your rates can be influenced by things such as:
- The size, age, and value of your house
- Whether the property is your primary residence
- The number of stories in your house and whether or not it has a basement
- The crime rate and weather risks in your ZIP code
- Your claims history and credit score
- The amount of your deductible
- Whether you are bundling your coverage with other policies like car insurance or business insurance
Every insurance company has its own way of calculating rates, so the quotes you receive may vary. Looking at quotes from a few different insurers enables you to choose the homeowners policy that offers the best value for your money. Independent agents in Kannapolis make comparison shopping easy.
Kannapolis Homeowners Insurance Covers Your Property
Your homeowners insurance policy is designed to cover you against many of the hazards you are likely to face as a property owner in Kannapolis. This includes damages caused by out-of-control kitchen fires, property crimes, severe weather events, and other hazards.
- Number of declared disasters in North Carolina: 58
- Most common reasons for disasters in the state: Hurricanes and floods
- Average number of tornadoes per year in North Carolina: 29.1
- Average amount of property damage per year in NC: $1,379,438,000
- 1 in 15 insured homes has a claim each year
One of the biggest weather risks faced by residents of Kannapolis is that of tropical storm damage. Kannapolis is far enough inland that hurricanes making landfall along the eastern seaboard will have been downgraded to tropical storms once they hit this city.
Tropical storms often bring heavy winds and hail, which can topple trees and damage roofs in the area. They can also lead to prolonged rains and flooding. It is important to note that flood damage is not covered by home insurance, even if it is the direct result of a hurricane.
Some residents of Kannapolis experienced flood damage due to Hurricane Florence in 2018. Unless they had supplemented their home insurance with flood insurance, they would not have been reimbursed for their flood-related losses.
Talk to a local insurance agent to secure a flood insurance policy. Your agent can also help you review your policy’s property coverage limits so you can be sure that they are high enough to enable you to rebuild, repair, or replace if necessary.
Home Insurance Covers against Burglaries in Kannapolis
The burglary rate in North Carolina is much higher than the national average. However, in Kannapolis the rate is lower. This is not to say that the risk does not exist. Residents of this city report more than 200 burglaries every year.
- Number of burglaries per 1,000 homes in the US: 4.69
- Number of burglaries per 1,000 homes in North Carolina: 7.10
- Number of burglaries per 1,000 homes in Kannapolis: 4.55
Your homeowners insurance can reimburse you for loss or damage following a burglary. Of course it is preferable to avoid being robbed in the first place. You may therefore want to take precautionary steps — like using motion sensitive outdoor lighting and stopping mail delivery when you are away — in order to reduce your risk of being targeted by burglars.
The most effective theft deterrent is a home security system. That is why many insurance companies offer discounts to policyholders who have installed them in their homes. Your insurance agent can help you be sure to get any policy discounts to which you are entitled.
Liability Insurance for Kannapolis Homeowners
In addition to providing you with property coverage, your home insurance policy also gives you liability coverage. Homeowners liability insurance is designed to cover the various expenses such as court costs, legal defense fees, and damages you may accrue if you are responsible for damages caused by a covered event.
Some examples of times your homeowners liability coverage can protect you include:
- If a visitor to your home is severely injured by diving into your swimming pool
- If your child damages your neighbor’s new car while playing baseball in the yard
- If your dog gets out and bites a pedestrian who is seriously injured and requires stitches
- If you are accused of libel or slander because of something you posted on social media
- If you accidentally injure someone while away from home, such as during a friendly game of volleyball at Bakers Creek Park
If you have a lot to lose and want even more liability coverage than your home insurance provider will allow, a local independent agent can also help you acquire a competitively priced umbrella insurance policy. Talk to your insurance agent to learn more.
What about Insurance for Vacation Homes or Second Homes?
Maybe you own a vacation home along the Carolina coast. Or perhaps you own a second house that rent to students at Shaw University. Whatever the reason, if you own more than one house, you will need to insure all your residential properties with appropriate home insurance coverage.
A house that is not your primary residence will often have additional risk factors that insurance companies take into consideration when calculating rates. For example:
- Vacation homes: These houses are often left unoccupied for several months out of the year which causes them to have an increased risk of property damage. Vacant home insurance may be required when these properties are not in use.
- Second homes: Houses that are occupied by tenants have low content coverage needs since your tenants will need to cover their own belongings with renters insurance. However, these homes have high liability and property damage risks. Landlord insurance is specialized coverage designed to meet the specific coverage needs of landlords.
A local independent agent can help you review the coverage needs of all your additional properties and can assist you with finding the best and most reasonably priced insurance policies to cover them.
Why Work with an Independent Insurance Agent in Kannapolis, NC?
The easiest way to find a reliable homeowners policy at a great price is by working with an independent insurance agent. These agents work for you, not for a particular insurance company, so you can be sure that you are getting the coverage you need at a price you can afford.
Independent agents in Kannapolis are ready to help. Contact an insurance agent near you to start comparing customized home insurance quotes.
©2021, Consumer Agent Portal, LLC. All rights reserved.